PDA

View Full Version : The Cliffs & Old Town (free rp area)

Laielinwen
12/Nov/2011, 11:30 PM
uploads/2939/DATheCliffsGT.jpg

Old Town
The Old Town lies between the Gate Town and the Cliffs and overlooks the New Port. It is the oldest (save the WhiteTown) and most varied of the city's districts, and it is here that the Squire (mayor) of Dol Amroth works.

The Cliffs

Above the Old Town and below the Castle Quarter is a large series of terraced buildings and winding streets. This area is known as the Cliffs, for here the steepness of the Hill provides little room for construction. While it is a generally residential neighbourhood, the upper reaches cater to the castle garrison and contain numerous taverns and game halls.

http://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/bluefade.gif

http://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/ltblue.gifhttp://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/rtblue.gifLocations in Old Townhttp://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/ltblue.gifhttp://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/rtblue.gif

Archam's School.

Archam died in one of Gondor's campaigns along the Harnen River in Harad, but his bequest supports the best warriors' school south of Minas Tirith. The adjoining building provides classrooms for those interested in more general studies, including seamanship, orienteering, languages, and the martial arts – it is run by a man named Curudur.

Amarthion's House

Amarthion is Dol Amroth's chief Shipwright. Master of the White-ship Wrights, he is an engineer. His four-story home has beautiful silver shutters.

Squire's Hall

This four-story building is the administrative center of the city. Here, the Squire Amandil works.

House of Marahil (Ilgazâr).

This rather quaint three-story house is Lord Marahil's home whenever he travels to Dol Amroth. His primary residence is his manor of Bar Harest near Metrast in southernmost Belfalas.

The Black Spar

This four story inn is frequented by many friends of the Mayor and City administrators, as well as leading authorities within the Guilds of Dol Amroth. It is a refined drinking place, for intellectual conversation and relaxation. It is run by an old mariner named Celdrion who is a seer of sorts, and his blue eyes are the portal to many secrets.

The Sign of the Blind Voyager

This is one of the oldest taverns in Dol Amroth, and it is a place where many of the well to do Ship Captains go to drink and relax. All manner of nefarious entertainment is available, but it is also a place where privateers frequent and mingle with the merchant classes, able seamen of experience can be found here as they seek new commissions. For those in the know, the Blind Voyager is the best place to recruit new and trustworthy crewmen. It is run by Malborn and Calambariel, a husband and wife team, who have bought the place as their retirement gift to themselves.

http://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/ltblue.gifhttp://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/rtblue.gifLocations in The Cliffshttp://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/ltblue.gifhttp://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/rtblue.gif

House of Tables

This is the richest gaming hall west of the Anduin. The proprietor Hevellon is a close friend of the Squire Amandil. He maintains an expensive and exclusive inn on the upper two floors of this four-story building.

The Broken Prow

Undoubtedly one of the town's better restaurants and drinking halls, the Broken Prow is the favorite nightspot for the Prince's entourage. Its owner, Gollodur, is the cousin of Camlin, the Warden of the Castle.

The House of Fanariel

Fanariel the Sorceress resides here with her seven cats. Widowed and the heiress of a dye-making fortune, she is the sworn enemy of the Squire Amandil, who she holds responsible for her husband's untimely death. She is contemplating using her lover Aldamir who is a young Knight as a means of assailing Amandil.
Fanariel is beautiful and rather exotic,for her blond hair and fair features are unusual for this region. Her mother, a woman of Rhovanion, was of Northmanblood, and Fanariel maintains ties with her distant relatives in Lake Town. She is a practitioner of black arts and uses her guile and wit to her advantage within Dol Amroth. She desires political power but also has ties with many of the Merchant's Guilds and Houses, amassing her own fortunes. Since the death of Cormil she has grown colder, and she is an ice cool opponent when crossed, a skilled manipulator when feigning allegiance to her own ends.

The White Shoals

This snug tavern was once the home of the first Warden of Castle Amrûnaur. It is now a quiet nightspot catering to many of the nearby residents. The Lady Nimrilien frequents the private Upper Room of this three-story establishment. Her host of friends have a reputation for story-telling and playing cards, but others know better.

House of Nimrilien

The enchanting Nimrilien lives in this four-story town home, with her dog Nurdiriel and her young sister Nimilwen. A secret passage (once a sewer) joins Nimrilien's bedroom to the Ale-room and attic of the Sign of the Sloop & Swordfish Inn in the Gate Town.

http://laielinwen.com/Plaza/DA/bluefade.gif

Thread Rules

This is a free role-play thread.

* All posts in character and over 300 characters

* Head your post with the location in which you are roleplaying

*Feel free to create a title for any ongoing rp you plan and if open for others to join you may post a link in the Dol Amroth OOC thread sharing details and inviting others to join you.

Lady Aikári
02/Apr/2012, 02:29 PM
<DIV =WebWizRTE marginwidth="1" marginheight="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1">
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">TA 2997, Dol Amroth, Old Town District. - part 1<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/I][/B]

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">“Get this little mongrel away from here!” [/I]spat the sister of the woman laying in bed and breathing on the last of her strength. Not yet five minutes ago she had given birth to her fourth and last child and the bidding of her sister the baby was taken away, dirty and bloody. The room was not large, dark and old. Through the covered-up window fell some weakened strays of sunlight. There was another older woman in the room who had done the labour and stood now aside. “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">She is not going to make it this time. Your sister lost too much blood, she is weak and bleak in her face. Nothing can be done, except prepare her to die.” “So she is leaving me with these kids of her? I hate it,” [/I]said the sister angry. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia [/B]was in her early thirties, not married and had neither children. She had a fiancé though. “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">About the baby?” [/I]The delivery woman raised her shoulders. “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Not my problem about her other children. Be thankful she has them. The baby, perhaps a few more hours than his mother. But he will not survive either. I cannot do more. Call a doctor or something,” [/I]answered she and left the room right away.

In another room the baby was pushed into the arms of his oldest brother <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B], just six years old with the command to wash and give him some clothing. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B] the second brother and five years old, looked at the dirty baby in his brother’s arms. “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Is that him?” “He is,” [/I]said <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B]. He really didn’t know what he could do with such a little creature. “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Get warm water and some clean linen,” [/I]he instructed <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B], who ran immediately away to obey the command of his older brother. As good it went, the two brothers accomplished the harsh task to get the baby clean, even it was not responsibility they yet could carry. Their smaller sister of two years old <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] was no help at all yet and sat in a corner playing with her dolls, or as much was resembled of them. All the time the baby was awake and made small protesting sounds, but what they meant neither <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B] or <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B] knew. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar [/B]gave the baby a cotton diaper and wrapped him for the rest in linen and wool, so the little one didn’t cool off further. The best place was still the table and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B] left him there, forbidding <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B] to go wander with him. His mother had never wanted that they did it with their sister either, when she was just born. He knew he had to watch out for the baby’s head.

There stood not much here, a few chairs and a table. There was no fireplace and only a window that looked from the back side of the house upon a desolated inneryard. The walls were bare and nothing of value was here, except for some tin cans and plates. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B]’s parents were poor and his father was at the moment at sea, away pirating. The aunt of them came into the room and seized up a chair without asking. “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Angar, your mother is dead. Have you cleaned up your brother?” [/I]“<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Yes, I have,” [/I]said <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B], consuming the news he just had heard. Was his mother dead? His eyes moved from his aunt toward the door and then his brother. “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Good,” [/I]answered his aunt and said no more. “<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Has my mother given him a name?” “She did gave him a name, Silinde. Don’t know why,” [/I]muttered <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia[/B] uninterested. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B] nodded only. So the baby’s name was <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B]. It was not one like had been given to him and his siblings. There was no room for emotions as he knew. He said <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B] to come and left the baby with his sister and his aunt.

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">TA 3001[/B]
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">[/B]
Because he was fair skinned and not tanned like his older siblings, everyone thought him always sickly. The small boy remembered nothing from his first years, neither the cold winter of 2998 and the hot summer following. His aunt had sent<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> Angar[/B] and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B] to school to learn reading and writing. Nilida had to learn all sort of feminine duties and before she was four years old she hated sewing and embroidering. But <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia[/B] had a help for the household and<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> Nilida[/B] had to serve her. She left the girl a little time to play. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] had the freedom to explore around in the room, but too often he was locked up in a room to spend the day there. Maia had not married after all and her brother in law, the father of these children, roamed the seas and left her money to live from, when he was in the harbour and visited mainly his sons. When he was four years, <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] overheard a conversation about his sister between his father and his aunt. Soon she was off the right age she would marry a man from Umbar. What it meant <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] didn’t understand. All he knew she was different from him and she was meant for another kind of life than <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B] and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B], his older brothers, now nine and then years and sailing already with their father. They were both tall and broad for their age and their father considered that good pirate blood. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] had the black hair like his siblings, but not their dark eyes. His were light brown. People outside in the streets who spotted him found him more beautiful to see that his sister. He was what a child of Dol Amroth was and not a Southron child.

But<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> Silinde[/B] grasped a little from the grins and smiles. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B], two years older, was a little wiser and pulled him always with her, getting away from the curious spotters when their aunt <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia[/B] sent them both to the market in the middle of the district Old Town. They had to watch the money their aunt gave them and if something was missing, she punished them both. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia[/B] dispatched also tasks to him, so <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] had to do a little lesser and she could sit herself quiet in her chair for a few hours. Tasks were good for little girls and boys, they grew responsible from it, she reasoned at the why’s of the children. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia[/B] was not the evil sort of woman, even she seemed to them. It was <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] still forbidden to come near fire and do the wash in cooking water. In the evening after dinner there was always time for a game and they never had to retire to bed extremely early. The times when their father was away were the finest and that was quite often.
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>To be continued...in part 2.

Lady Aikári
21/Apr/2012, 03:23 PM
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">TA 3002, Dol Amroth, Old Town District. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/I][/B]

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">“No!”[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">“Yes!”[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">“No!”[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">“Yes!”[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">[/I]
For quite some time was this conversation going on between the youngest two children, <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B]. They were now approximately seven and five years old, and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] developed in quick pace his defences against his strong-willed sister. She wanted always to be the boss, but <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] disliked it more and more. But smaller than she was and strong neither, she was the boss. Tears never helped him, his sister only laughed and plagued him harder about it and Aunt <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia[/B] would only give him a sweep around the ears, so he stopped crying.

<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">“No, I don’t want to play with you.”[/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">“Yes, you will!” [/I]
It was a battle he would loose. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] could be quite mean, if she wanted to be. How she could be was still beyond him. But perhaps that was how all girls were of seven years old. He wished he was much older, older than her, so he would be the boss and she had to listen to him. But he was just five years old. Quick as his legs could he ran up the stairs toward the room he had on the second floor. It was cold and small, but still his own space. And he was large enough to put the lock on it, a wooden sliding lock. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] came up after him, but half way she slipped and had to grasp herself so she didn’t slip all the way down. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] got inside and pulled the lock on the door, not watching what happened to his sister. Nobody could get in now. He heard some curses and a yell of his sister. But he was safe here and he didn’t care if she was being caught by their aunt.<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> Silinde[/B] dragged a chair toward the only window in his room under the pitched roof, climbed on it and looked outside. With his hands on the windowsill he could look outside.

For him it was a wild mesmerising world, the one of other houses, carts that were pulled by horses and deeper down toward the harbours the ships and their captains. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] didn’t yet understand what it was all about or what was traded, as his sister said on the market. The ships came into the harbour, remained there some while. People were very busy around the ships and later they set off to sea. First they seemed only to come once and never return, but gradually he learned by the sails and the ships themselves that some returned each day, or once a week. Where they went to or came from, he didn’t know. But that was not important. They came here and he liked to watch. Perhaps there would be one day he would step also on such a ship and sail away over the gentle waves.

There were dangerous storms now and then with rain and thunder. But what boy was afraid of a storm? <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] was not, as he tried to tell himself bravely. But when in the night a storm came over the house and the rain poured and echoed over the roof, he pulled the blankets over his head and wept in silence. Nobody would come to him and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] would only laugh about him. He wished she was married already, then she could plagued her husband all the time, like their father who was always absent. His older brothers <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B] and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando [/B]were teenagers now, eleven and ten as they were, and father had taken them to sea. Sudden there was a ruffle on the door.

“<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">Open the door, brother. You will play with me, or I call Aunt Maia!” [/I]
<I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal">“No, I won’t!” [/I]
He called back with his high-pitched voice still. His brothers had better voices. He remained on the chair and kept looking outside. He shivered as he heard a curse and footsteps that got away.<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> Nilida[/B] could try to call Aunt <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia[/B], but she would only get a snap herself and no other form of attention. Maybe Aunt Maia would put her to work, cleaning something. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] knew he never had to clean, he was a boy, and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] was a girl. She always had to clean. She had to learn to be a proper housewife for a future husband. Cleaning the house were woman’s duties. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] looked outside again, following down in the street the wife of their neighbours. She was odd, he knew. Aunt Maia had said so. The woman always crabbed behind her left ear, when she pulled her cap right. She had left home with an empty basket, and she returned with a full basket. Aunt <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Maia[/B] didn’t like her. But <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] found the woman quite kind. When he was outside she had always a biscuit for him. But only when he was alone and not with one of his siblings together. It was his secret with the neighbour’s wife.

To be continued in part 3….

Lady Aikári
24/Jul/2012, 04:00 PM
<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">TA 3004, Dol Amroth, Old Town District. <I style="mso-bidi-font-style: normal"><?: prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />[/I][/B]

It was now silent at home. His brothers were old enough to go with their father and for a year they sailed with him on sea, plundering coast and visiting distant lands. He had not seen them all since they left and he remembered only their shapes from then. He didn’t know yet how fast <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B] and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B] were changing, from boys into men. He was just six years old, getting taller and having left his toddler years behind. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] was eight years old, little taller than him, but still a child in shape and sound. She ordered daily him to play with her, but the dolls and household duties he could not appreciate. It didn’t interest him much. More and more rather he wanted to leave the house and stroll around in the harbours to see what vessels were docked. Even he was curious to the other parts of town, where he had heard about that the rich lived there and had great villas with gardens. The Prince lived in his own palace. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] discovered one day that <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] was watching him a bit too intense. Not knowing what it was about her, he didn’t like it and began to search his room for keyholes in the walls and doors. As all was made from wood and old, there might be a few. His room on the second floor still his domain, where Aunt Maia never came. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] came in sometimes then to change his bed sheets, as it was one of her chores. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] saw never <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia[/B] doing that herself. Often it was not done, perhaps once in the two or three weeks. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia[/B] was happy about it that <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Dyando[/B] and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Angar[/B] were off to sea. She didn’t have to look after them anymore. Their rooms were not empty, their belongings lay there still. But <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia[/B] occupied them for other things. She bought fabrics and made dresses from them for merchant’s wives, baker’s daughters and other people of the working class. The richer people didn’t come to his aunt to have their clothes made.

<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia[/B] often took <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] to the market with her, so she could help carry the fabrics. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] hated everything, but <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia[/B] had no ears for her curses and screams, only a slap of the hand ready to silence his protesting sister. There was no love involved. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] was free to do what he liked; he was no use to his aunt. His clothes were getting too small too quick and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] was instructed to remake some old clothes of his brothers for him, so they fitted. Hours later under the watchful eye of <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia [/B]he had to undress and put on the new clothes to see if they fitted. One day he took the clothes and went upstairs to change and then returned. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia[/B] said nothing about that behaviour, but <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida [/B]understood not the change at her age and snorted about it, that he didn’t have to behave so ridiculous.<B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal"> Silinde[/B] felt better about it and remained doing it. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B]’s mean remarks vanished when she discovered that she as a girl sudden liked her own privacy.

The day <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] became nine years old; his aunt went to search if there was perhaps a future marriage partner for her, when she had grown into a woman. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] understood it half that his sister would need a husband in time, but she was still a child? That part he didn’t grasp. Instead he left the house and the problem behind and sneaked off for the first time to the harbours to see the ships for real. He was old enough to find his way there and back home and Aunt Maia had no interest in him what he did or where he hang out. The harbour was another world, even it was a few hundred meters from his home. Sailors walked and ran around, shouted orders in different languages. The wind was warm and salty, but so it always smelled also when he had the only window in his bedroom open. He met a captain there, who liked to show him around on his boat. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] said yes enthousiast and asked as many questions as he could. He answered where he lived and he wanted later, but not who his father was. Even at six years he knew that it was not safe to say where his father was. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia[/B] had instructed him about that. She had promised his mother that he would grow up safely, and that knowledge was for his safety.

The captain was friendly and took him later to his home, where he had a wife and children off himself. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] was a little too much trustworthy, as he later pointed out to the boy. But <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde [/B]nodded only bravely and thought not much about it. The captain had an own son of his age and that was much more fun. He wanted to have a friend, not a bullying and mean sister. So <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Fredo[/B] and he played in <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Fredo[/B]’s room with soldiers and pirates and for the first time <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] played out a battle, which he found magnificent. Happy he returned home for dinner and surprised <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Aunt Maia[/B] that he had made a friend. He told her where <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Fredo[/B] lived. His aunt smiled and nodded that it was okay. But she added also that he had to tell her next time where he was going. <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] didn’t tell however that he had been in the harbours. The captain had warned him to be careful and make sure he grew taller before <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] came there again. In the harbours were also mean people and they were always looking for children who they could take with them and sell into slavery in Umbar. The city guard was very alert to these kinds of pirates, but they could not avoid that it happened sometimes. So <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] came sometimes in the house of <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Fredo[/B] and in return <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Fredo[/B] came to his and became acquainted with his aunt. But still <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Silinde[/B] had somehow to find his own way around, now his brothers were not around to give him advice, help him with something and <B style="mso-bidi-font-weight: normal">Nilida[/B] was not the source he wanted to rely on.
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>
<DIV>To be continued in part 4....

Beren Camlost
07/Oct/2012, 08:20 AM
http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8177/8065095365_37a386ed69.jpg

Set before the events of The Runaways and The Trials of Wilwarin : Leave No Stone Unturned
[Private with Sur, Haflin, and myself]

http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/Aigronding/524887a8-ed2f-4769-9122-bd430a18a05f_zps5dc28ff1.jpghttp://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg19/Aigronding/7b7551fd-8849-4a2e-acb3-55413c73e6df_zps15172be6.jpg
Arin Montagna, Lady of the South, and Medlidor, her man-at-arms
[Models : Actors, Bridget Regan and Jason Statham]

"Heroes are people who rise to the occasion and slip quietly away."
~ Tom Brokaw

Theme : Prevailing Hero HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IrFs2hO1bLc) and You Are Not Alone HERE (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LswxoOtOgb4&amp;feature=related)

Dramatis Personae

Arin Montagna: Lady Knight of Gondor, noblewoman of Dor-en-Ernil ; the lover of Sir Halion
Medlidor: Arin's steadfast man-at-arms, a foreigner of Palisor
Penimiel "Penny" Tathval- An unfortunate laundress of Dol Amroth, daughter of a deceased wealthy banker ; endangered by a powerful sorceress who thinks she may know the location of her hidden treasures her father knew about
Sir Haldor "Carandol" Raelwen: A Gondorian knight errant, a grave and stone-faced noble of Dol Amroth
Mardil Herion: A Gondorian adventurer, veteran soldier ; brother of Gaeril Herion, cousin of Haldor
Gaeril Herion: A Gondorian adventurer, veteran soldier ; brother of Mardil Herion, cousin of Haldor
Taylin the Mad: A strange and witty Gondorian adventurer, veteran soldier
Celdrion- A Gondorian seer, divined that Lady Knight Montagna must embark on an adventure to deliver a young girl from the wrath of a greedy sorceress
Fanariel : A wealthy and exotic beauty of the Cliffs, an evil sorceress ; she will do anything to amass her fortunes. An ice cool woman who will destroy Penny if she won't reveal the location of her father's treasures, relics from Westernesse.
Assassins of the House of Westernesse - Employed by Fanariel
Criminals from the Sign of the Sloop and Sworfish - Mercenaries hired by Fanariel
Sir Halion - Swan Knight, nobleman of the Belfalas Highlands ; the lover of Lady Montagna
Egros - A drink server and also works the gaming tables at the Sea-drake, Penimiel's friend, who wants to leave town and see the world...and gets his wish ; he's a commoner thrust into adventure
Gowestor- A moneylender at the Merchants' Exchange ; a friend and colleague of Penimiel's father, Paryonaon
Bangon- Storage officer of the Dol Amroth Auction House

Chapter One : The Words of the Seer

Dol Amroth, The Cliffs and Old Town
TA Autumn, 3014

"I must admit that I'm not comfortable knowing you'll risk your life trusting the words of a diviner, Mistress," the free-spoken man-at-arms of Arin Montagna frankly addressed as he followed in her wake through the winding streets of the Cliffs that loomed over their destination : Old Town. The hardy man of Palisor, Medlidor as he was called in the West-lands of Middle-earth, was heavily-muscled and handsome in a rugged sort of way ; the balding foreigner with icy-blue eyes wore a long black belted tunic of linen ; since the Black Spar Inn did not allow their clientele to bear weapons within the establishment Medlidor brought neither sword nor dagger which was fine - he was asdangerous without being armed.

The Gondorian knight errant of Ered Tharonion, The Mountains of the Lofty Pines, had been home for a couple months from her journeys afar ; Lady Montagna and her companion looking for entertainment this evening had recently departed The White Shoals, a snug tavern which was once the home of the first Warden of Castle Amrûnaur ; it was a cozy, quiet nightspot for nearby residents. Upon the third story Lady Nimrilien and her company of friends, respected luminaries of Old Town, hosted hours of story-telling and card-playingin the private upper room. It was there that Arin had been captivated by a story of how Celdrion the Seer, an old mariner blessed with foresight who was now the innkeeper of the Black Spar here in Old Town, had changed the life of a Swan Knight by telling him his future. Arin had decided for herself that she would seek audience with Celdrion to know her own fortune despite the unbelief or wariness of her protector.

"A real seer is never wrong and Celdrion's gift is reputed to be rather genuine," Lady Montagna, her voice like music, calmly replied as she and Medlidor left the Cliffs behind them to approach Old Town below, the district between Gate Town and the Hill, overlooking the New Port ; it was the oldest of Dol Amroth's locales, save for the White Town, and was governed by Imrahil's Squire who acted as the mayor of the community. "

I think the future isn't set ; it changes constantly with every action of ours," Medlidor said, "how could one person exactly know what's going to happen when a myriad of probable acts can alter it ?"

Because they know how things will eventually play out. Amnon the Prophet predicted Gondolin's fall hundreds of years before it happened -"

It was bound to ; cities down't last forever," Medlidor interrupted with his own opinion. "

Alright," Arin replied with an undertone of frustration ; she was an independent and stubborn woman ; she did not favor debate, especially from a servant. Perhaps, she gave him too much leave to speak his mind or counted him more than a friend than she ought to."How's this then ? Glirhuin foretold that the island of Tol Morwen would never be defiled or drowned by the sea - the Stone of the Hapless has never been desecrated and the site of the commemoration stone has never sunk."

I've read the Lay of the Children of Húrin in your mansion's library ; I don't see why anyone would want to despoil Tol Morwen considering so much hardship that family endured. Glirhuin was merely feeling optimistic."

Arin Montagna rolled her silver eyes. "Malbeth the Seer predicted that Arvedui would be the last king of Arthedain. And he was. Malbeth doomed it, he knew that Arvedui would not heed the advice of the Lossoth." Before Medlidor could challenge this, the noblewoman in the diaphanous gown gave pause abruptly at the nearest lamp-post and smoothly turned on the glowing sidewalk to appraise the guardsman, arching a brow. "What do you believe in ?" Arin questioned straightforwardly.

He couldn't answer right away, truly wondering himself ; so great had been the torment of his road and the injustice and terror of their time however Arin's confidence and courage and principles gave him hope. He relaxed. "I believe in you, milady," Medlidor responded directly with with a husky tone in his voice."

Then trust me," Arin Montagna requested sotto voce, raising her palm to hold his unshaven cheek gently.

The Black Spar Inn was slightly larger than White Shoals Tavern, one story higher in fact, and the atmosphere of this place was more refined than amiable ; friends of the Squire - city administrators, and leading authorities in the Guilds of the Cliffs and Old Town - often drank, mingled, and held intellectual discussions at the classy Black Spar Inn. The receptionist reserved a table for three upon a terrace, replete with potted plants that nodded their leaves in the gentle breeze and a violin orchestra which performed on a raised platform on the broad outdoor balcony, on the highest story.

Guaranteeing them a meeting with Celdrion was no trouble, there was usually a brave and interested few each evening who wanted their fortunes told and tonight's entertainment was going slow since it was a weekday only. Arin Montagna approached the carpeted grand staircase with the graceful stride she adopted with ease in the fiefdoms of Gondor when in the persona of a highborn woman of the Dor-en-Ernil gentry. Tall and lithe, regal and beautiful the Lady Arin attracted many admiring stares but the gowned, grey-eyed woman in white with the long and luxuriant dark-brown hair didn't much notice as she and her man-at-arms gained the stairs.

"He won't be too happy about this," Medlidor stated after digesting a slice of sweet bread, left leg crossed over his right, at the dining table here on the terrace.

"Celdrion reads people all the time," Arin disagreed following a savoured taste of crustacean meat ; she took a peek through the glass windows of the double doors that opened to the third story landing, hoping to catch a glimpse of the seer's approach.

Medlidor chuckled. "I meant your significant other, milady," her flippant bodyguard explained and Arin tensed. "

Sir Halion is my dearest friend only, not a lover," Arin responded sharply, her silver eyes coloring storm-grey now.

"I dunno," Medlidor replied straight-faced with a shrug of his shoulders and a rare twinkle in his eyes, "the ardent kiss I witnessed you both sharing in the rose garden at Halion's estate in the highlands of Belfalas before we left for the jungles of the Far Harad a year ago encourages me to suspect otherwise, ma'am."

"You saw that ?" Arin asked with sudden uncharacteristic girlish nervousness, blushing a vivid red, which impelled Medlidor to embarrass her further, all in good fun though.

"Indeed and I've noticed the way you two finish each other's sentences -"

Shut up, right here and now," Arin snapped at Medlidor, narrowing stormy eyes. "

Is that how a lady of the Mountains of Lofty Pines supposed to talk ?" Medlidor teased, restraining his laughter well.

"Enough,"Arin ordered flatly, "and don't call me ma'am." She threw a balled napkin to throw at him which he deflected with a swipe of his hand, "it makes me feel old." Lady Montagna paused. "And what wouldn't Halion like ?" curious Arin asked albeit quietly before taking a sip of Dorwinion wine ; since she was a noblewoman, Arin could afford the imported beverage.

"Because you've just got here," Medlidor answered.

"Look," said Arin frankly, tapping the table once with her index finger, "I just want to know what's in store for us down the road. I'm not going to act on anything that's revealed to me. I just want information -"

"And what if you need to move immediately ?" Medlidor asked pointedly, lifting a brow. "

Then..." Arin was at a loss for words.

"If you join the Swan Knights, you could see him more and still have fun," Medlidor hypothesized assuredly.

Arin was becoming irritated; why was he being so persistent ? Why did Medlidor usually take Halion's side so much ? Had ever loved any woman before. Even thus far Arin felt that Medlidor hadn't told her everything about himself. Arin heaved a heavy sigh and quaffed the wine in her fine-stemmed glass.

"I have an issue with being told what to do and where to go ; I like to decide those things for myself, that's why I wander. AndHalion will eventually ask me to marry him ; that is certain, I think. I don't want marriage yet. Maybe not at all," Arin responded clearly but with a melancholy tone as she lifted her glass for a waiter to refill who had ventured by for the moment to see if they needed anything. "I want romance and adventure but I don't think I can have both. And to be honest, I think I'd much prefer the second. Less drama that way ; I've seen relationships go awry, even among the court in these parts. I'm hesitant to give pieces of me away. I would like to hold a sword and not babies....listen -" she closed her eyes briefly " - I have plenty of reasons why I won't marry him. Anyone. I don't want to talk about this right here and now though."

"We've got company anyway, Your Highness," Medlidor commented, lifting his chin slightly to indicate they had a visitor.

Arin quickly looked to the opening doors. Onto the terrace stepped a slim and bearded, old and grizzled man wearing a long grey-green tunic of lightweight wool belted at the waist and soft boots ; his deep-set eyes were so blue....that they could have been another color entirely. He walked toward their table with a salty sway. "You must be Celdrion, the innkeeper and veteran mariner," Arin spoke, arising respectfully.

"Always a sailor, Lady Montagna. Always. I was born a son of the sea," he spoke cheerfully and accepted her hand ; he kissed it once.

Medlidor nodded his head at him in recognition for a moment before Celdrion took a seat at the round table.

"Would you like something to eat, sir," Arin offered, waving at the mollusks, cheeses, and fruits.

"I've eaten already, milady, but I'll take a goblet of this blackberry mead," Celdrion declined and, with a grin, poured himself a cup of the sweet beverage. "The receptionist told me you would like to have your fortune read," he remarked after a long pleasing drink of the melomel. "

Free of charge," Medlidor piped ; Arin's glance was flinty. "I apologize ; my friend and man-at-arms is quite the sceptic," Arin said, casting Medlidor another stern look. "Be nice," her glare seemed to warn and Medlidor desisted.

"I forgive him as I do all the others," Celdrion replied with a fleeting chortle as he claspedArin's hands tenderly. He began to lightly run his fingertips slowly over her palms ; in seconds he appeared....enraptured, most likely experiencing a sublime, awed feeling as the Gift worked. "I see...violence," he uttered, his elation flagging ;Medlidor leaned forward on the seat of his chair.

"Where..." Arin asked with undisguised eagerness, staring at the old man with a raptor's earnest, unmoving gaze.

Medlidor smiled faintly. He knew that tone, that look. She was going prospecting.

"Green, fair hills....and white mountains....a cave....a beach far away..."

"Who is fighting ?" Arin pressed.

"You, milady....and...the guard. A man with red hair...two cousins...a fool. Men in black and rough men...a witch in red. Someone young and brave and reckless. Knights. Stunted people. A monster."

"Does anyone survive ?" "One does not." Medlidor ground his teeth audibly ; Arin ignored him.

"Who ?" Arin beseeched.

"The impulsive one."

"Why the conflict ?"

"Treasures....of Westernesse...hidden away....The sorceress wants them. She thinks the girl knows where they are ; her father possessed the knowledge."

Arin's grey eyes shone. "Where are these items ?"

"The hills and mountains, scattered. In the cave, not far from the water."

"A lake in a cave ?" Arin prodded.

"Yes. The serpent lurks therein. Beware that beast. Its heads are three and each breath flame." Celdrion shivered. "Protect the girl. It will try to take the banker's child."

"A moneylender's daughter ?"

"A young woman the witch must use or destroy."

While they were visting the Cliffs, Arin and Medlidor had rooms at the house of Lady Nimrilien. Arin had first met the noblewoman of the Cliffs earlier this autumn shortly after her return ; Arin had rescued her beloved pet, Nurdiriel, from being ran over by a cart. Following that incident, enchanting Nimrilien and dog-saving Arin were fast friends. Arin, wearing a pale-green silk nightgown, was just brushing her long, copious hair for the night with a pearled hairbrush when she heard three staccato knocks which could only belong to Medlidor.

Arin arose from the chair set near the dormer window and opened the rosewood door. As she suspected her bodyguard, who had a chamber next door, stood outside with his strong arms crossed against his chest ; he wore in sable breeches and shirt for the evening.

"So ?" he asked.

Arin Montagna has been mostly silent since the foretelling ; Medlidor was itching to know what their next step was.

"Remember how you said I'd act immediately ? Welllll.....I think I will. The both of us. I have some ideas," Arin divulged and beckoned him with a 'come, hither' finger as she went back to her chair in the moonlight and resumed the stroking of her dark brunet hair ; Medlidor leaned against the wall in the shadows.

"Well, I'd love to hear them since I haven't the foggiest, milady," Medlidor grumbled and Arin smiled at him fondly.

"Whatever these treasures are we'll be able to find them in Pinnath Gelin - I expect that range will be the fair, green hills Celdrion was speaking of - and the White Mountains. The cave where there's a subterranean lake...that might be somewhere near the western coast of Gondor, perhaps the mountains on the cape of Andrast. The stunted folk Celdrion mentioned are probably the Drúedain who inhabit that area ; they might not like us trespassing in their territories but it is spoken that the Woses are good people so we might be able to gain their allegiance against those who would prevent us from discovering the treasures and protecting the girl. We'll be encountering some sort of beast there at a cavern in Andrast and it's imperative we keep the female away from whatever monster is lurking in the depths of the lake as we search for the priceless relics of Númenor that have been hidden away ; Celdrion said the thing will try to kill her if she gets too close." Arin grinned as she saw Medlidor speechlessly marveling at her, impressed with her deduction.

"Whoever this witch is, the sorceress thinks the young woman knows where the treasures her father knew of are...perhaps she does. We'll have to guard her...and get help so we can do so well. Tomorrow, we'll investigate in Dol Amroth. I'm a noble so the banks in the city will give me any data I need to uncover the identity of this woman somehow and without too many questions as to why. Whenever I think I know who it is i want to bid my father farewell since this endeavor may take us a few months, and while i'm there....I'll ask him to send a message to Sir Halion. Then you and I will go to southern Lamedon before we try to find the imperiled girl before the witch abducts or kills the banker's daughter."

"Southern Lamedon. Why ?" Medlidor wondered. Arin smirked. Then.... he knew...and tried to laugh not too loudly so he wouldn't awake Lady Nimrilien.

"Haldor and his cousins, Gaeril and Mardil, and their friend Taylin. Who else but Carandol do you think Celdrion was talking about ? A man with red hair ; that might be our comrade, Sir Raelwen. Mardil and Gaeril are the kin the seer spoke of and the fool....." Arin loosed a tempest of giggles and Medlidor wept tearstears of laughter. Taylin, of course ; this was going to be an interesting quest indeed and memorable if they survived it.

"Who's the youthful and brash person ?" Medlidor asked as he wiped at his stinging eyes, "since you know it all."

Arin's mirth subsided as Medlidor mentioned that one in the prophecy. She hated losing those who joined her quests.

"I don't know," she murmured, turning to look at the starlight, "someone who falls randomly into our crusade, I suppose." She took a deep breath and let it go. "The men in black and the rough men are probably servants of the witch, too. Assassins, I guess, and hired ruffians." "What about the treasures ? What do we do with them once they're found ?" "We could give them to museums in Minas Tirith and we can allow the girl to keep some ; without her parents, she may be poor. I'll determine what is to be done with the artifacts of Elenna once the girl is safe ; it may be that the sorceress must be given a share of what is found if it means saving the life of the banker's daughter. And our own."Arin gestured toward the door. "You should sleep. We have a big day tomorrow as we search for clues, my friend."

Medlidor nodded and walked to the threshold. He halted there and looked at pale Arin, so beautiful, ethereal, combing her long cascade of lush brown hair in the moon's silver radiance. "Arin."

"Medlidor."

"When the seer said that someone would die...." He couldn't finish, momentarily overcome with emotion. He loved her. She was the only family he had. Lady Montagna smiled. "Don't be scared, Medlidor." She looked into his eyes. "You know how much of a cautious girl I am."

Medlidor grinned slowly then left her room, closing Arin's door behind him.

TO BE CONTINUED....

Chapter II : What Gowestor Knewwill appear in The Bay of White Ships HERE (http://www.lotrplaza.com/showthread.php?20265-Bay-of-the-White-Ships-(free-rp-area)&p=503548#post503548) where Arin and Medlidor discover the nature of theshady deaths of Penimiel Tathval's parents at the Merchant's Exchange and whather father had left behind at the Dol Amroth Auction House years before his murder......

Edited by: The Boy with the Bread

Rathynai
22/Dec/2012, 08:08 PM
3 ~ The Cliffs ~ Mansion Faelir

Dhalion opened his eyes.

Blinking he looked at the ceiling. White washed and clean. He couldn’t have remembered a more pristine vision to his eyes. Squinting he looked down and noticed that he was in a bed, the soft plush pillows and feathered mattress making him more itchy and uncomfortable after days upon the road. The room that he was in, smelled very flowery, threatening his nostrils to sneeze. He rolled his shoulders, noting the slight ache on his right side, as if he had hit something hard. Then it came dawning on him.

Eyes snapping to focus, his mind racing, he took note of his sheathed sword against the bedside drawer. His hand instinctively reaching for it.
“I wouldn’t if I were you, Dhalion.”

The soft silky voice held his hand in place from reaching the blade.

“Not because you’re in danger, or anything, but…”

Dhal’s head swooned and his vision blurred, as his hand faltered from reaching his blade, his body relenting and forcing him back to relax on the bed. With an effort he reached up with his hand and he rubbed his face, as if his face and mind was slightly tingling, while his body felt a little like water. Turning his gaze into the direction of the voice, and noticed a young lady in a light green dress sitting at peace along the wall, sitting in an upholstered chair calming knitting. Her pure black hair shining from the warm sun beaming through the open window, the balls of wool comfortable upon her lap. He blinked, surely she wasn’t there before?

“They call it Eisha’s kiss. I don’t know who Eisha is, but she must have been a beauty indeed to make men water with a single kiss.” Her knitting needles not missing a click. “You’ve been out since yesterday and throughout the night, its midmorning now.”

“I see…” Dhal sighed and let his body relax on the most uncomfortable, soft and fluffy bed he has ever had the chance to lie in. With a struggle he forced himself to sit up, noting the new soft bedtime trousers and shirt. And he even smelled clean.

“Unfortunately, we had to burn the rags you were wearing. They stank.” The lady looked up with a twinkle in her eyes. “Getting you dressed was an experience unto itself. Sal!” the lady called out, and a maid came into the room. “Please bring that tea that we had discussed earlier, for this gentlemen.”

“I presume you were the one who rescued me from Asdur the Innkeep?”

“Rescue?” She tilted her head in question. “Oh no, on the contrary, Asdur helped me getting you here in the first place. Putting you in a wagon and bringing you here was a bit of an experience, so don’t mind the bruises.”

“So… What do you want?”

“You really just as clueless as you were a boy, Dhalion.” her laugh was a slight twinkle.

Dhal’s eyes squinted. “Who are you?”

“Oh my! You really don’t remember me, do you? I suppose nearly fifteen years is considerably long to remember someone, especially of someone of your adventuresome nature.” She smiled, “I am Lilian.”

“Ah, you were the person who sent that note?” Dhal blinked. “Lily!? What in the…?” He looked at his old childhood friend who was no longer a child anymore. She was the daughter of a minor noble family in Dol Amroth, just like Dhal’s family, minor and small in the affairs of the Lords.

“That indeed. I’m sorry for the way things are handled, but it had to be the way it was. Especially since your sister, Lei, has been missing for over a year now.”

“What?!” He shot up, before a dizzy spell took over his head, forcing him back down onto the bed.

“Didn’t I tell you, not to do that?” She sighed and went back to knitting. “Well, yes, Lei has been missing for ages now. That is why I sent that note, I know you were busy being a ‘ranger’ and ‘Hyandaner’ and all that heroic nonsense. Unfortunately you seemed to have gotten a bit late in coming back home, in any case, you are back now. I’m certainly glad I kept reminding Asdur to keep an eye out for you, despite it being so long since I sent word for your to come home. Now… what do you think you’re doing?”

Dhal was stubbornly forcing himself out of the bed, throwing the blankets off and reaching for his sword. “I’m off to find my sister.”

His hand was reaching for his sword again. Until a sleek dagger came from the other side of the room and embedded itself into the wall. Stopping him from reaching out for his blade. The clicking of knitting needles resumed before the dagger stopped quivering in the wall.

“And what do you think you’re going to do? It’s been a year. The authorities have been looking for her. And your parents have been looking for her, unfortunately your mother and father are in Pelargir at the moment. So, stop being a thick headed mule and relax and listen.” She sighed. “You always were a get up and go, boy, and it seems it has hardly changed when you’re a man.” Lily made a face.

He settled back. “I presume there is more?” His fingers itching to hold his blade again. The maid, Sal returned, Dhal nodded his thanks as his tea was handed to him, the maid left as silently as she had entered, ignoring the knife protruding from the wall.

“Well, around the time that your sister went missing, your family mansion was burned down, but your parents are fine, they just moved to a nice little house, if you’re wondering where they are, I think your father is sealing a trade agreement or something, and your mother accompanied him, anyway besides that it’s just the usual court intrigue, and battles, and gossip here and there. How’s your head?”

“Getting better, thanks.” The tea was making it easier to concentrate. “Why all this subterfuge to get my attention, you could have easily came into the Inn and talked.” He took another sip of his tea, savouring the taste.

Lily smiled, “Unfortunately, there has been some events since you have left, and your name has been popping up in the last few years around here, while you were away. Let’s just say that it was in the interest of your safety that you had to be bundled here before you were found.”

He raised an eyebrow. “Well, that’s silly, wouldn’t it be easier to simply have me kept away?”

She shook her head. “Unfortunately no. You’re needed here, if your sister is still alive, then you’re probably the best suited to find her. Other than that, as the heir of the De Mein family, you really need to take a step up, dear Dhalion.”

He downed his tea and placed the cup and saucer on the bedside drawer. “Now that is a moot point, the De Mein’s are on the bottom of the nobility ladder here in Dol Amroth, if it wasn’t for grandfather starting a trade route between Dol Amroth and Pelargir with small arms shipments, then the De Meins would simply been nothing more than second rate citizens beneath the heel of the Greater Houses. However, you are right.” He moved the blankets aside and took a deep breathe. “I at least, need to find my sister, if she is still alive, a year is a long time, Lily.”

Slowly standing up he took stock of his surroundings, all lush and rich, and heavily patterned with blue swans and dark green vines. “Where are we? I didn’t think your family had such rich furnishings.” His grey eyes moved around the room.

“We’re in the home of madam Delentia Faelir.”Lily pointed towards a dresser. “Clothes are over there.”

“Thanks. Delentia? I haven’t seen her in years…” Dhal moved over towards the dresser and began pulling out items of clothing. “Um… do you mind giving me some privacy?”

Her grey eyes twinkled even more. “It’s not like there isn’t anything I haven’t seen.” Her knitting needed clicked almost in laughter.

With barely a grunt, Dhal redressed into a white shirt and black trousers. “I guess I better start my search then.” He let his grey eyes go towards Lily in question as she stood up and put her knitting upon a small side table.

Brushing the fluff of her dress she nodded. “Yes, indeed. However you would probably best to say hello to your host here. Delentia has been waiting for you to come back home in many years, Dhal.” She moved towards the door as Dhalion picked up his swords and belted it to his hip. She smiled, “At least you actually look like a son of a noble, minor though the house may be.”

Dhal barely grunted a reply as he followed Lily out of the room.

The Faelir manor was a small manor, numbering some rooms. But it was more than adequate for the lone lady of the Faelir family. Though it may be small in size, the tapestries and workmanship of the furniture and art were some of the most detailed and beautiful many would have seen.

They both walked into the lounge chamber of the manor, and the warmth of the room embraced Dhal the moment he strode into. He sighed as his body relaxed and as his eyes looked around the room, his eyes spied the form of an elderly lady sitting in a high back cushioned lounge before the fire place.

“Miss Lilian, I thought you were with our honoured guest.” The lady turned her head around, her closed eyes showing her blindness. Lady Delentia Faelir. Tilting her head to the side, as if listening, “Ahh… there he is now.” A small smile touched her lips.

Taking a step forward, Dhal knelt down beside the arm chair and gently took the hand of Delentia, “Its been a long time, madam Delentia.” He was gifted with a strong grasp of his hand. “You’re looking well.” Lily asked for some tea and some food to be brought out to them as she took the opposite chair by the fire place.

The lady before him, had been a close family friend. She had lost two sons in the Prince’s armies, and a daughter from a miscarriage. Her husband long lost to the passage of time. She only had this manor, Sal the maid, and the children of the other noble families to keep her company. And it seems, fate has taken her sight away from her as well, the worse things tend to happen to the best people.

Delentia laughed softly. “Well? A crotchety old woman like me?” She was far from it, though time has taken her sight and her skin, and sitting in the arm chair in a blue shawl and a green blanket over her legs. She nearly seemed regal, a hint of the beauty that she was in her younger days. She reached up with her other hand and touched the face of the young man before her. “I feel that the little boy that I once knew has grown. Tis a shame that I can only see the boy from my memories, not the man that my eyes now fail to see.” She smiled and patted Dhalion on the cheek. “Sit down, Dhalion. We need to have a talk.”

With only two armchairs he took a smaller wooden chair from the other side of the room, Dhal sat with the two ladies just as Sal returned with a tray of tea, scones, sweet breads, and muffins. Looking at the tray, he was reminded that he probably hadn’t eaten since the Melon Inn. He took a jam filled sweet bread and took a bite while the tray was placed on the small table before them. Lily took a cup of tea, while Sal helped Delentia take her cup in her hands.

“Really? What would you like to talk to me about?” He took a cup of tea, and a muffin. “Please don’t tell me that you were part of the scheme to poison me on my home arrival.”

“Then I will not say anything at all.” She smiled and took a sip of her tea. “Many things have happened since you have left home Dhalion. Your sister has gone missing.” She tilted her head, listening. “By the lack of a reaction, I presume that Lilian has already told you. Well, your family manor has burned down. And though your parents have yet to show any grief, they are hurting from so many bad incidents. Mayhaps running away from home, for treasure and adventure, was not the best course of action. In all honesty, you would have made a far better Knight of the Prince’s Armies than a rag tag vagabond in the wilds.” She held up a hand to stop any protests. “Don’t argue, it’s true, you were needed here, Valar knows how grief stricken your mother was. But what is done, is done, and you have to be young and stupid to be wise and all knowing.”

Dhal let the words sink in, Delentia used to be more carefree, and loving of those children around her. Or maybe because he was no longer a child that she treated him with a more serious note. His grey eyes searching the two ladies before him. “There’s more to it, isn’t there?” there usually is.

It was Lily who answered. “We’re not too sure if this is a coincidence or not, but around the same time as the De Mein manor being burned down and your sister going missing. Minor nobles, trading personages and people from families of medium wealth, were also going missing, or turning up dead in the harbour. Its been pretty quiet for eight months straight, however, a month ago, there was a week of missing person’s and one murder. Though it may all even be unrelated.” She shrugged, sipping her tea, before reaching for a scone.

“The concern is, that each time a murder happened, a man or a woman would go around, asking questions about you, whether or not you have come back to Dol Amroth, any sort of news.”

“Let me guess? There is a person asking about me again?”

“On the contrary, no. You have come back on an unexpected note, and hopefully for you it shall stay that way for you. However, I am curious, what do you want to do?”

Dhalion shrugged. “I came back home on a note, that I thought was from Lei. But you say that she has been missing for over a year.” He finished his tea and placed the cup and saucer on the small table. “I don’t know where to really start, I wish to find her, but surely the lead is cold by now?”

“Maybe.” Delentia answered. “But for now, I would suggest that you take the time to rest. That drop of Eisha’s kiss wouldn’t kill you, but it’s said that it can still make you feel like you’re on watery legs for a small time yet.”

The young man shook his head. “I’d like to, but I wish to stretch my legs, madam Delentia.” He smiled as he took a sweet bun. “And I would like time to think on what course of action I wish to take.

Lily nodded. “I guess it won’t hurt for you to have a look around, it’s not like many people here would know you on sight, considering its been fifteen years.” Her eyes twinkled. “And yes, I am coming with you, a lady with a man walking the streets of Dol Amroth is certainly less suspicious than a wild ragamuffin looking wide eyed at the big city.”

Dhalion only stared at her, a raised eyebrow asking a silent question.

Rathynai
03/Jan/2013, 05:10 PM
4 ~ Old Town

He raised an eyebrow at the lady who had her arm within his. “Tell me again, why we are here?” Dhal held back a small wry smile as his grey eyes looked at the dark haired lady who was looking around innocently through the windows of the shops.

“Well, you know? You wanted to stretch your legs and see the city that you were from, I’m sure there is many things in Dol Amroth that would catch your attention.” She smiled up at him, her grey eyes twinkling. “You might even get some sort of idea or lead where your sister is.” She drew her red shawl tighter across her shoulders.

Dhal nearly rolled his eyes, but he turned his attention to the seventeenth shop that they had stopped in front of, looking at the young man that looked back at him from the window reflection. He noted the finely cut appearance of his white shirt, leather trousers, a sleeveless black waistcoat and the addition of a bright red scarf that matched Lily’s shawl. A far different look to his previous vagabond rags. He mentally sighed as Lily dragged him to another shop, this time full of desserts, her eyes gleaming at a particularly fruit layered cheesecake that must have had her name on it.

Licking the cream off his lips, Dhal wolfed down the rest of his blueberry tart that Lily placed into his hand, while she nibbled on a caramel slice, her fingers kept clean by the napkin held delicately in her hand. “How is your family going?” His eyes looking around the majesty that was Dol Amroth, the life of the city growing as the midday loomed closer.

“mmm…?” She blinked, as if her thought was broken, a smile touching her lips. “My parents are still floating around. Mother is always with the aunts, and Father is always in his study with his books. Writing some saga about some steward of old.” She finished her slice, and patted her lips with her napkin, before folding her napkin and handing it to Dhal. “Just another quiet family in the city, you know how it goes, Dhally.”

He raised an eyebrow watching her as she smiled at passing children who gave her a wave. “Yeah, I suppose.” Though the De Mein’s have always been well of in its small business of trading goods along the coasts of Gondor. “I should probably go and pay my respects”

“Oh, I’m sure they would love that.” She patted his arm, “Shall we enter this shop?” Without an answer, she walked through an open door and led him inside.

“Hello? Aranore?” Lily called out, and a young man appeared from a back room, quickly stuffing a small sandwich into his mouth. He took a moment to look at lily, before he quickly gulped and bowed low.

“Hello, milady Lilian Heathemor, what do I owe this pleasure?” Aran quickly wiped his hands on his apron as Lily smiled and walked over towards the counter. “I wasn’t expecting you for another week.” He smiled back at Lil.

Dhal looked around the shop while Lily and the shop keep talked by the counter. It was a small toy shop. Many fluffy and cuddly animals of varying colours adorned the shelves and hanging upon the walls. He reached out and picked up a bear looking stuffed animal. It was black and white, with a white head, black ears, and large black patches surrounding its bright eyes. He turned the toy around in his hands.

“Here you go, Milady.” Aran reached beneath the counter and handed Lily a small pouch that jingled when it changed hands. “This weeks catch, with some interest. Don’t be surprised if you get more next time, business is getting a little more busy around this time of year.”

“I suppose it is…” Lily weighed the small bag in her hand. “Aran, I’d like you to meet my friend here, this is Dhalion. Dhalion this is Aranore Monegor, he is the owner of this nice little store of toys and curiosities.”

“Ah… Dhalion De Mein, heir of the De Mein family, left Dol Amroth at an early age, and hasn’t been seen in years. Many people thought you were dead, sir. But apparently not.” Aran smiled and his eyes looked more deeply into Dhal’s own greys. “The word is, you’re a fair hand with that blade of yours, and there is hints of untold stories behind some of your adventures.”

“Which, I’m sure, are highly true.” Dhal gave a wry smile and placed the black and white toy bear down. “You seem highly informed, Master Aran.” He walked towards the counter to join the two.

Aran tapped his nose with a knowing finger. “Information has its perks, good sir. And milady here, has many little birdies flying around.” Lily merely gave a twinkle of a laugh.

“Oh, you over exaggerate, Aran!” Lily tucked the pouch into her dress. “However, I am curious about one thing. I have noticed that Lord Dregor has been quite absent from his home in recent weeks.”

“Nah, nothing too fancy, he’s just checking on his child that was gotten on his mistress.” The shopkeep pursed his lips in thought, “However, Milady Yvenwen has been going into Gate town a fair bit in the early evenings. Doesn’t seem too much of to have a poke at but it’s the fact that she is a respected lady of the court, and her husband is very strict on her movements, despite him being out of the city on the Prince’s errand.”

“Maybe she just wants some certain company.” Lily looped her arm into Dhal’s again and leaned against him.

“Normally I’d agree, but none of the lads down there has taken her interest, nor the girls. She’s been visiting the Walking Sailor tavern, but she always goes home sober and without a companion on her arm.”

Lily nodded. “Oh, I see. Maybe we should have a ponder into that? Anything else that seems out of the ordinary?”

“Nothing too out of the ordinary, however…” Aran gave Dhalion a sidelong glance. “There has been some interest at a returning Dol Amrothian who had a bit too much to drink at the Melon in, yesterday. Normally, that wouldn’t attract much notice, but there seems to be certain questions why that a young drunk man would be bundled out of the inn and into a wagon in the back alley.” He raised an eyebrow at Lily. “I apologise to say, Milady. But very sloppy to have been noticed.”

Lily shrugged. “Asdur isn’t truly noted to be clean and quiet. But what is done is done. Why is that? Who’s been asking questions?”

“Just the market vendor, Jacons, near dockside.”

Lily waited silently, simply letting her small smile grow in a corner.

“Alright alright!” Aran leaned against counter, his voice going softer. “Jacon’s just a watch dog, but the bigger hounds are wondering why the big stir in the Melon Inn. Going back further into the hounds, we found that the Den Mother was very interested in a smelly vagabond who was returning home.” His eyes flicked towards the door, and out in the crowd of people going about their business. “Milady Philemire has taken an interest it seems.”

“That old coot?” Lily sighed. “Nothing more than a relic. However…” She pursed her lips. “She is the lady of the house that did dismantle a couple of the minor families, destroyed trade relations for a few merchants and may have made a few people disappear in her time.”
Dhal looked back and forth between the two. “I don’t understand any of this. Why all this for really nothing?”

“But dear Dhally.” Lily patted his arm in comfort. “Nothing to really worry about, it may well truly be nothing, in reality this is all simple gossip… Nothing but gossip.” Her laughing eyes was nearly a comfort. She turned back to Aran. “Thank you so much Aran! Make sure you kept what was owed you, and I’ll see next week, if not earlier?”

“What was that all about?” Dhal asked as they left the store, and down the street. “Unfortunately, this sort of talk isn’t really my strong suit.”

“That’s fine, Dhally…” She looked ahead, letting the flow of the crowd take them further. “You know my family isn’t wealthy, or part of the great circle of nobles in the city. But people like to talk, and in this city, they like to know information. And though there is many things happening in the world at this moment, it’s the little whispers at home that many people seem to be interested in.” They walked slowly back to the Cliffside residences, Lily’s head placing itself on his shoulder.

“It isn’t much, and I’m truly sorry, Dhal. But welcome home.” She tugged him to stop in front of an archway.

Looking up, and past the gates with its swans made of iron. Dhalion looked at the burned down rubble that was once the De Mein family home. Without a word, he removed himself from Lily’s arm and walked forwards. Pushing through the blackened gate that was now overgrown with dark brown vines.

Silently he walked through the rubble of what was a small Cliffside home that was the home of the De Meins. “I guess, maybe I should have come home sooner.”

“Maybe… but maybe not. Maybe you came home when you are truly needed.” Lily’s voice followed him as she trailed behind him. “No point regretting now, Dhalion. What is done is done.”
“This used to be the front door.” He stepped over a rock. “The manor was a two story building, instead of this flattened ruin.” He looked around, his grey eyes going over the assorted mess that was once his home. “And though I hated it, I guess looking back at it now, it was comfortable.” He smiled. “Over there was where Lei would always hide when we played hide and seek.” He pointed towards the remnant of a fire place. We never lit that fireplace, and mother would always blame me for Lei being covered in ash.

Kneeling down, he lifted up a stone and weighed it in his hands. “There is no point of regrets, that is true. But regrets I will always have.” He rubbed the rock with his thumb, blackening the tip of it.

“Dhal, what’s this?” Lily called over.

“This used to be the kitchen.”

“No no, what do you think of this?” She pointed towards what seemed to be disturbed rocks, and fresh scuff marks in the blackened soil. “It seems they were made after the fire.” She lifted her dress and stepped over a large rock.

Over where the kitchen used to be, there seemed to be boot and drag marks everywhere. Dhal furrowed his eyebrows in thought as his eyes tried to make a certain pattern in the chaos of the tracks. “They go this way.” He pointed towards the corner of the ruined kitchen. Kneeling down, he took note of what seemed to be a trap door. “Now… why would there be so much activity near this the trapdoor to the cellar?”

Reaching down, he took hold of the ring handle and pulled the cellar open.

Rathynai
16/Jan/2013, 05:20 PM
5 ~ The Cliffs

He pulled open the cellar trapdoor and let it fully open with a crash. Without a word, Dhal took a step down into the gloom, his boots scraping against the stone steps that led downwards. At the edge of the light from the trapdoor opening, his grey eyes looked around. “Seems clear enough.”

With light steps, Lily followed behind him. A hand holding up the hem of her dress to stop it being dirtied. “Clear enough? I suppose that is true, but the stench in here, is um… undeliciously fragrant.” She wrinkled her nose. And it did have a slight smell of stale body odour, dust and aged fungi.

Walking over to a side table, he took note of a pile of small candles with some flint nearby. “How convenient… Do you have a knife handy?” He nodded his thanks when a small hand offered a sleek thin blade, hilt first. Raising his lit candle, he let the flickering light reach its small tendrils out into the chamber that was once the cellar of his family home.

“Well, I guess my old home, is now the abode of someone else…”

Both could see that the shelves of what would have supplied a modest home, was pushed against the walls. Torn and ragged clothing were strewn on the floor with odd bits and pieces of what appeared nothing more than rubbish. Dhal stepped through the mess of the chamber, raising the candle up higher.

“Looks like someone has made this cellar very comfortable.” He pointed to what seemed like a straw kind of bedding near the centre of the room. “And only recently it seems too.” Dhal squinted his eyes, peering into the gloom.

“Come out and reveal yourself!” Dhal’s voice carried into the darkness.

They stood there for a moment. Lily idly fingering the sleeve of her dress even as he stood there calmly, his grey eyes narrowed. Until a hunched figure crawled from a dark corner and looked up at them. He was dressed in scraps of rags, makeshift, tattered and patched clothing that varied in hues of brown, grey and faded green. His lank hair stuck close to his skull as he looked at Dhalion and Lily with his wide eyes.

“Please Master! I’m merely a squatter in this cellar!” His panicked voice quavered as he saw the sheathed sword at Dhal’s hip.

Dhalion smiled faintly, “Hello, I’m not going to harm you. I’m just curious who was the master of this abode, of whom I was familiar with this mansion before fire touched it.”

The ragtag man stood straighter and let his eyes squint at Dhalion and then at Lily.

“Branron I am called, good Master.” He did a haphazard bow towards the two of them. “I found this hole many months ago, and it was dry and has kept me safe.” He fidgeted with his fingers. “If you know the real keepers of this place, then I’m very sorry to have taken an interest in making it my home.” He bobbed his head.

“No need to worry, Branron. I’m merely passing through, however, do you mind if I take a look around of your abode? This used to be the home of a person dear to me.”

The squatter bobbed his head. “Then by all means good Master, have a look around. If you’d like, I could give you two space to have a gander.”

“That would be fine, thank you Master Branron.” Dhal watched the old man bob his head towards them as he sidestepped towards the trapdoor and then scrambled out of the cellar.

“mmm…? You simply letting him go, for defiling your family home? I thought a simple punishment for making it highly fragrant would have sufficed.” Lily smiled “Though, I suppose not, as you are the first De Mein that has stepped onto this estate in many years and this is now another person’s home.” She took her hand away from her sleeve and shook her wrist, as if her wrist was uncomfortable. “Do you really think we’d find something here, Dhal?”

He shrugged. “In all honesty, no. This was just a storage room for the kitchen above.” He placed a hand on his hip and raised his candle higher to try and pierce the gloom. As far as his grey eyes can see, all he saw was rubbish and filth. “I don’t think anything would have made it out of that fire.”

“Oh? What about all the secret doors and passages?” She raised an eyebrow.

He gave a short laugh. “Unfortunately, the De Mein manor doesn’t have any of those.” He looked at her. “Reading some sort of fantasy novel of great castles with their hidden nooks and crannies?”

Lily made a face as she turned and headed towards the steps to leave the cellar. “Well, how boring! At the least, we now figured the mysterious tracks at your old home. Now for some breath of fresh air!”

Following her up, Dhalion left the trapdoor open, figuring Branron would be coming back to his lair.

“Well, I guess I spoke too soon…” Dhal heard Lily say, followed with a sigh, as he turned his head towards the street. There was Branron pointing towards them. Before him was a group of four mounted men. They were armed with longswords at their hips, their plate armour polished to a sheen, and their blue cloaks were clean and pristine. The comparisons on upon their grey horses were blue with a silver swan over the azure field. The helms were tall, and taller still with the white wings of swans.

Lily fumed. “A squatter? He was a lookout!” She muttered under her breathe as they approached Branron and the Knights of Dol Amroth.

“Greetings Sir Knights.” Dhalion bowed towards them. Lily made a small curtsy. “Is there something amiss?”

One of the Knights removed his helm and placed it under his arm. His dark hair going down to his shoulders, as his laughing grey eyes looked at Dhalion and Lily, a small smile touching his lips. “Not at all, good sir. But I guess, that by the look of Lilian here, I am not exactly a welcome meeting.”

“You can go suck a pineapple, Sir Luegarran.” Lily smiled sweetly at the Knight, her eyes like cold steel.

The Knight laughed. “Amusing as ever, Lily, amusing as ever…” He turned his attention back to Dhal. “Last time I saw you Dhalion, you were a scrawny boy who couldn’t pull his nose out of trouble.”

Dhalion tilted his head to the side. “Luegarran? Really? The years could have been more kinder, last time I saw you, you were enjoying your buttocks being paddled by Madame Delentia. I guess all that paddling on your backside has pushed your buttocks upwards and into your head.”

Luegarran was another son of nobility that had been cared for by Delentia. However, unlike Dhal and Lily, Luegarran came from a greater family, and he was quick to remind the other children of that fact. In essence, the Knight was the model of what a Knight was to the common people; tall, fair with a flair of the dramatic. The complete opposite of Dhalion. If Dhal had stayed, he would have been a Knight like the other noble men of the city. Albeit a more quiet and brooding kind.

“As much as I love to reminisce about the good old days. I’m only here to give you a message. And so, that is why Master Branron has been keeping a close eye on your family manor, knowing that you would return someday.” He turned and pulled a small jingling pouch out of his saddle bag and tossed it towards the ragged man. “And a service well earned, I would dare say.”

“What do you want, Luegarran?” Dhal eyed him and his Knights with his grey eyes, his left hand tapping gently on the pommel of his sword.

“Oh, I was to tell you something, my father and my mother would love to see you. But your timing couldn’t have been more perfect. Tomorrow night, my family manor is holding a gala. So I would like to invite you, of course.”

“A appreciate the offer, however, I’m never one for gala’s and fancy events.”
The Knight gleamed a white toothed smile. “Ahh… But I’m sure you would love to come to this one. We’d love to discuss a few things about your sister, Lei.” His smile broadened even more as Dhal’s eyes narrowed at him.

“And what do you know, about my Sister?”

“That would be telling, now. Tomorrow night! At the Balenor Manor! An hour after sunset and wear something more refined.” He turned his horse, the other knights forming around him. “Needless to say, Lily is already invited.” He nodded to them and tapped his heel into his horse’s flank, the Knights cantering away from them. Branron has already disappeared.

They turned to leave, heading towards Faelir manor. “I guess, some people haven’t changed.”
“Yeah, Luegarran is still an obnoxious little brat.” Lily sighed and placed her arm into Dhal’s. “So, a gala tomorrow night?”

“I guess so. They may have something about Lei, and at the moment, it’s all I have.” He made a face as they walked.

“Any plans for tonight, Dhal?”

“Nothing at the moment, Lily.”

Her eyes twinkled. “Well, I have an errand or two to take care of in Gate Town tonight. You’re more than welcome to accompany me.” She smiled. “I’m just going to see what Lady Yvenwen has been up to lately. Last I heard, her husband is in Edhellond. I’m just curious what she is doing in the Walking Sailor Tavern. It’s a notorious gambling den, and there are some rumours about the place, that I wouldn’t mind looking into.”

“Lily, what is it, that you exactly do?” Dhalion looked at her, as she placed her head on his shoulder.

“Just following the gossip, Dhal.” Her smile grew. “Just following the gossip…”

Sil
17/Jan/2013, 11:44 PM
Liante, Archam's School

"Again."

She sighs and tosses her black hair over one shoulder, furrowing her slender brows. A small foot stamps down before she pivots on her heel and the blade rings out, to be caught easily by her teacher on the thickly padded training shield. Her tutor catches her blunted blade in one palm and frowns down at her, not unkindly.

"You are making the same mistake again," he instructs her, hunkering down on his heels and pointing at her ankle. "Your foot is turning the wrong way, and so you are slower than you should be. Get that right, and you have the whole form correct."

Liante shuffles her foot away from his intrusive gaze, the furrow between her brows deepening. "One more time, then," she allows, as though granting him a favour. He smiles slightly at her insolence and readies the pad again. This time she strikes true, but no sooner has the point of her rapier dented the fabric than she has let it drop and is moving out of the room, too light for a stroll, too slow for a skip. Kháne calls after her, but she ignores him.

It is not that she dislikes the training. It is probably her favourite subject, as orienteering seems obvious to her - and as a child who has grown up running around the streets of a town that it not so large, it seems pointless, also - and languages; well, she has learnt enough to write in a neat Elvish script and the more common runes, as she is neat-handed, and enough to insult her fellow classmates in a few various tongues. As for seamanship, she knows she will never be allowed to take to the Sea. Since her Father was lost, Liante's Mother has never permitted her to set foot on a boat; although she will not leave Dol Amroth either, constantly going out to to watch for the boats, withering into a shadow. Liante largely does as she pleases.

And today a restlessness runs through her blood. A restlessness frequently runs through her blood. This is to be expected, as she is fifteen years old. Once she is sixteen, she considers, she will be an adult. She has no idea what she will do once this occurs, but she is sure that something magnificent will happen. She could run away and make her fortune, or sail to an unknown island and find her Father - not killed or drowned after all, merely marooned by corsairs. Then again, perhaps not. Liante wipes such dreams from her mind - dreaming is for children, and she is not a child. She is very sure of this.

She walks down the corridor with an accurate precision, placing her feet with as much care as she did in the training room, making her skirts swirl out around her hips. She has had enough of school for one day; the air is clear and the gulls are crying, and Liante wonders if she would pass entry into a tavern.

Sil
24/Jan/2013, 11:21 PM
Liante, outside

She sees no one else before she opens the doors into the world, although she hears the voices of the students still in classes. Fleetingly, Liante considers returning and joining them, but there is a restlessness in her that outweighs any guilt. The teachers do not hold her very strictly, although she is aware some of them feel she is lacking a proper father figure in her life to push her along to classes, to encourage her. None of them have shown any inclination to make friends with her Mother, so they say nothing. Which is as well; if any of them reported to her that Liante was truanting, her Mother would likely barely notice. Or so Liante thinks.

Still, she regrets her classmates to come out and walk with her. Fathers who have paid good money to see their sons and daughters educated in the proper way would doubtless take a cane to those who were walking blithely down the street as Liante is, without any chores - although Liante earns her keep. Her name comes from her skill at weaving, and it is, more often than not, that skill that has kept fresh bread on the table. It is why she is neat-handed and precise, and why there is often a furrow between her fine brows - from peering too closely at her work. Although Liante enjoys making the finer pieces, tapestries and patterned cloaks and so on, there is less demand for such items and the market for them in a village is small. Liante is as yet judged too young to go and set up her own stall in a larger town, perhaps a long distance to travel, and so she is mind and finger-numbed by the endless, boring cloths that she twists.

If only her Mother would go with her.

Although, in truth, Liante would prefer to be free and unfettered of her Mother's constant fears, the ones that drag her skin down with the weight of weariness and sorrow, that tie up her hair with silver. Liante dreams of birds, wheeling in the open blue.

Avalein
26/Jan/2016, 01:44 AM
Lady Laurelassiel Rilyaelen Narfilit, Lord Pengion, Nethrien, Baingwen, Arodwen and Maerdir
The old town

Laurelassiel along with Pengion had moved to Dol Amroth a couple years before her three children two daughters and a son had been born before they had departed leaving Lindon. She smiled watching her eldest daughter Baingwen sit near the window looking out as the sunlight danced off the waves of the ocean. Maerdir was playing with his sister Arodwen at her feet. Hearing a knock on the door, she looked up smiling upon seeing Nethrien, who was not only the family healer but also helped around the estate. At her brother's request they had kept the estate in Lindon though she had wanted to cut all ties with the place. She had to admit it was home for her as well as the rest of her family and would go to her eldest daughter as part of her wedding gift when she wed. Looking up as Nethrien handed her a piece of paper, Laurelassiel nodded smiling, "hannon le, Nethrien," she said opening the letter. Quickly reading it her smile grew, she hadn't seen her mother since the birth of her last child Maerdir and to hear that she was coming to visit and possibly live with her along with her father brought her great joy.

Baingwen glanced over at her mother and seeing the smile on her face, smiled in return as she heard that her grandmother and grandfather were coming to visit and possible stay. Her eyes sparkled and her long black hair made her look like her mother's sister Aravaldiel unlike her mother who had black hair with red hair entwined there was no sign of red in her hair. Many of the elves that knew her family had confused her with her aunt Aravaldiel, because of that, her younger siblings looked more like their parents, Maerdir had brown hair while her sister had her mother's black hair with red hair entwined but more noticeable. Pengion had gone into Minas Tirith for business as he worked with one of the merchants there. Nodding to Nethrien," prepare the guest chambers that my husband had built for when my parents visit," she said smiling as Maerdir climbed onto her lap putting his head on her chest closing his eyes. Hearing what her lady required her to do she nodded bowing her head respectfully, "of course my lady, does the letter say when they will arriving?" she asked watching as Laurelassiel once again looked at the letter. "Alyanis says she will arrive with my younger sister and my father in two months time if they do not run into trouble. The letter is dated at least four months ago, and knowing my parents especially my mother she will take her time as it is spring time and they are traveling with my sister which will require the family guards. As long as we are prepared for them, then you have no need to worry, besides you will be able to see your mother as she is coming with them, your father remained to attend to any injuries of my siblings that remain within the valley," Laurelassiel said gently fingering the necklace that Pengion had given her upon their marriage. She had changed from when she was younger even her marriage to Pengion and the birth of her children had changed her inside but also how she saw the world. She could see now why her mother grew worried when she did not return home or if she did it was very late it was a mother's worry a worry that she now felt for the children that now sat in the room with her.