PDA

View Full Version : Dwarven Army HQ and Training

Hlaevang
05/Mar/2016, 07:38 PM
http://i1382.photobucket.com/albums/ah260/kimlisimply/Army%20Banner_zpsfg92xivn.jpg
Uzbad (Commander): Hlaevang

Gabilkapon (Captain): Vacant

Gabilkhazad (Recruit/Trainee):
- Afird (Drifa)
- Bovas
- Grorkin (Gimli's Axe)
- Brandin (Queen Nerwen)

Outside on the western slopes of the mountain lies the newly renovated headquarters of the Dwarven Army and the training fields. Within the confines of the area you see recruits going through their training disciplines and the various other tasks which they have been asked to carry out. To the south of the headquarters lies the Dragon's End pub. A tavern where Dwarves in the Army can engage in peaceful pursuits like eating, drinking and brawling (not necessarily in that order...).

Notice for new recruits: Please report to the Uzbad's office in the HQ for enlistment. After which you will be assigned to a trainer who get you comfortable with our routines and will prepare you for the days ahead. New recruits will begin their training in the axe. Once they have been promoted from recruit to Gabilkhazad they will be able to either specialize in that area, or they can branch out in an area of interest to them (healing/medicine, swordsmanship, archery, siege weapons, etc.).

Notice for Trainers: Upon completion of your training you will be promoted to the rank of Gabilkapon and will be able to take part in the recruiting process.

General notice: Link for the OOC thread will be posted shortly. Remember rules of the Imladris convention will prevail, and happy RPing!!

Update: here is the link to the OOC thread, http://www.lotrplaza.com/showthread.php?78640-Dwarven-Army-OOC

Edit: banner designed by Drifa and used with permission

Hlaevang
06/Mar/2016, 12:37 AM
Commander's Quarters
Dwarven Army HQ

Hlaevang sat at his desk busying himself with some long overdue paperwork from his recent travels. It had been some time since he had last worked in this area of the mountain as he had taken a self-imposed semi-retirement many years prior. He had worked tirelessly over the years and had been in dire need of some rest. So he "retired" from the Army and used the extra time in his life to travel outside the kingdom reacquainting himself with the surrounding lands and looking into events surrounding some members of his family who had lived in the south. But he had found no trace of them beyond rumours and hearsay. Nothing tangible remained and this disturbed Hlaevang deeply. So he had returned to the mountain empty-handed and for intents and purposes utterly defeated.

That was when his King had first approached him about returning to the Army. By this point he had been away from the kingdom for several years, but had returned depressed and completely withdrawn from Dwarven society. He knew his King had been trying to give him something to focus upon, but Hlaevang turned him down repeatedly not wanting to engage in public life. So he became a recluse. Never seen walking the halls but continuing to gather dust alongside his scrolls and his memories. Then something changed. The return of some more familiar faces had drawn him out again and he knew he needed to focus his energies in a more constructive way. That was when he had been approached again about rebuilding the Army. So he had agreed and set to work renovating the fields, barracks and HQ buildings. After several months of hard work from him and his crew, the area was finally ready to be used again and he was eager to begin the process of working with recruits and officers again. He had forgotten how tedious expense reports could be though. "This will cost the Kingdom a pretty penny" he thought. "I just hope it was all worth it. It will be nice to impart my knowledge for the good of the Kingdom again." With that he got back to work and waited for his recruits to arrive.

@All: ​please see OOC thread and looking forward to working with all of you.

Drifa
06/Mar/2016, 05:13 PM
http://www.walagata.com/w/kimli/Finna2.jpg
Finna

Making her way into the new headquarters of the Dwarven Army, Finna shook from her head to the bottom whisker of her long beard; a combination of fright, anger and perturbation. She did know what she was getting herself into, but she was determine to learn how to fight. To fight and defend herself. No more making crusty breads; fueling fires, sweeping floors, washing dishes, counting on patrons to keep her business alive, yet never having any entering her place of business (Crusty Dwarf Bakery in Laketown) to support her. It was time to take up arms and mail - down with the rolling pins and aprons.
She made her way towards the table where a rather official looking dwarf sat. Taking off her hood, she bowed low and said.

'Greetings! My name is Finna, daughter of Floin, at your service! I am here to join the army. Where do I make my mark?'

Gimli's axe
06/Mar/2016, 08:33 PM
Grorkin

Grorkin had been eagerly awaiting the official beginning of the Army ever since his conversation with Afird and Hlaevang in the pub several months before. Now finally the field was cleared and everything was ready. He hurried to the Uzbad's office to enlist. When he arrived, he was surprised to see that a female dwarf (Finna) was already there. Grorkin turned to her and bowed. Then he swept off his hood and, bowing low to Hlaevang, he said, "Greetings! Grorkin son of Grordin at your service! I have come to enlist in your army. As you know, I have no military experience, but I'm willing to learn and will help in whatever way I can."

Hlaevang
09/Mar/2016, 01:17 AM
​@Everyone: see OOC thread

Hlaevang
10/Mar/2016, 06:27 PM
Dwarven Army HQ

Hlaevang eyed the new recruits Finna and Grorkin with keen interest. He had spoken with Grorkin in the pub recently and had at least some idea of what to expect going forward. Finna, on the other hand, was an unknown. He would need to do an assessment of her skills, plus he would need to get a sense of where they saw themselves within the army going forward. If he was being honest with himself, he knew that he had a long road ahead of him with the new training and he hoped they were ready to get started soon. "My heartfelt greetings to both of you. In case you are unaware, my name is Hlaevang and I will be your commander during your time with the army. It pleases me greatly that both of you have answered the call. It is my hope that, over time, you will become the foundation of a strong, new force within the Kingdom and the Region at large. Now, before we get started, I have a couple of things to go over with each of you. Firstly, I will be asking some probing questions of both of you so that I can get a better idea of where to place you within the army. Try and be as complete as you can with your answers. The more information you can provide, the easier it will be for me to place you. Secondly, we will be conducting an orientation of the surrounding area. This is going to be your home away from home for the next little while so it is imperative that you get to know it intimately." Passing forward an enrollment sheet, "Now I just need both of you to sign your names to this sheet and we can begin." With that Hlaevang sat back awaiting their responses hoping that he had not overwhelmed them.

Gimli's axe
10/Mar/2016, 07:33 PM
The foundation of a strong new force within the Kingdom did he say? Grorkin couldn't wait. He hastily signed his name on the proffered sheet of paper and assured Hlaevang that he was willing to do whatever the job required of him.

Bandar
12/Mar/2016, 06:41 PM
Zifur son of Lifur

Zifur walked in with his leather jerkin on and he was ready to join. Zifur was excited to help the kingdom and build upon and fight the dragons or other Easterling tribes. He got ready to walk in to Uzbad's office. He walked in. He was all smiles and ready to join. Lifur, his father, was a great soldier of the Whitered Heath patrols. He was ready to make his father proud, who was about to pass on to Mahal, but he would want to fight someone and make him proud.

Durien
13/Mar/2016, 02:59 AM
Tyr and Rān
Dwarven Army HQ

"Well, then, put that axe and head of yours to some use, brother!" Rān stepped through the doorway, one hand over her shoulder as if she was carrying a large sack, but instead of a sack, she was dragging her twin brother by his auburn beard. Only she could get away with that; it was one of the benefits of being a twin. Although she would have done the same to any of her seven older brothers, Ayr, Myr, Dyr, Fyr, Gyr, Kyr, or Nyr, if she was as determined as she was now. After all, she put the stubborn in the word dwarf. However, her older brothers all had steady employment and purpose in life, while her twin spent most of his time hewing away at pretty much anything he could find with his axe. She had to admit, he pretty talented with the thing, but being talented and doing something with that talent were two very different concepts, which her moronic brother didn't seem to get. Not that he was a moron. If anyone else dared to call him that, she'd dent their heads with her fists. Only she was allowed to insult her brothers.

"Not my beard! Let go my beard!!" Tyr yowled as he let himself be dragged into the headquarters office. His protest at being pulled by his beard was very real, it hurt. However his protest at being in the office was almost entirely feigned. It was true he hadn't really found his place in scheme of things like all his brothers had. Nyr was brilliant with gems, Fyr excelled on the forges, Gyr was a miner through and through, Myr designed much coveted jewelry, Ayr had found his talent as an ambassador, Dyr brewed superb ales and meads, and Kyr was a genius when it came to harnessing the power of water through invention. And Rān, well Rān kept all of her siblings, including him, in line. He hadn't made it easy for her, not with his inability to find fulfilling work, which happened to be a strong need for most of his kin. And when Rān, Aulė bless her, had come storming up to him as he was sharpening his axe on a diamond spewing a plan for the both of them, he had felt a sense of purpose for the first time ever.

Rān's plan was perfect. Together, they would join the Order of Gabilkhazad. They were good together, even if mischief haunted their footsteps. Better yet, he could make a career doing what he was good at, wielding an axe, and Rān could fulfill her dream of becoming a healer like their mother had been. Tyr would do anything to make sure his twin sister's dreams come true, not that he would ever tell her that.

Impatient, Rān gave her twin's beard one last yank, dragging to him next to her and in front of the enrollment sheet before releasing. She marked her name then stepped back, satisfied as she gave Tyr an expectant stare. He glared back at her, rubbing his chin, but then turned to the enrollment sheet and signed it too. He was game for the adventure, but he couldn't help but wonder if the rest the dwarves were ready to take on his sister. Aulė help them all.

Hlaevang
15/Mar/2016, 03:45 PM
​OOC: @Everyone

Hlaevang
15/Mar/2016, 10:51 PM
Dwarven Army HQ
Uzbad's Office

Hlaevang gave a nod to the newcomers and directed their attention to the sheet in front of him. It had been a long day, but he had to admit that it cheered him to see the eagerness in his new recruits. They would need to be prepared to work hard, he knew, but they would get accustomed to the routine over time. He had seen many come through these doors over the years and it was good to see that interest was still very much alive. The twins gave him a moment of pause, but they looked sturdy enough for the tasks which would lie ahead. The day had been beautiful and the sun was now beginning its descent. Seeing that the last of the gathered recruits had add their name to the register, Hlaevang gathered his thoughts and spoke: "My thanks to all of you. It is now time for us to tour the grounds which be your home away from home during your service with the Army. You may leave your things here for the time being, we shan't be gone long. now, if you will follow me we will begin your tour. One more thing, if you have any questions at all please feel free to speak up. 'Twould be best to get some of them out of the way now so that I can address any concerns which you might have. Once we return you will be free to go about your business for the evening and then we will reconvene here at first light tomorrow to begin your training." With that he rose and made his way to the door.

Bovas
16/Mar/2016, 09:12 AM
Bovas
Dwarven Army HQ

Parchment in hand, heavy boots printing their mark into the dirt, Bovas entered the hall. Axe freshly sharpened, armour smartly polished, Bovas approached Hlaevang. "My friend, I have come. Where ought we to start?"

Gimli's axe
17/Mar/2016, 12:05 AM
Grorkin
Dwarven Army HQ

Grorkin rose hastily and followed the Uzbad out the door of the office. He couldn't wait to begin the official training the next morning.

Drifa
17/Mar/2016, 12:48 AM
Finna
Dwarven Army HQ

Being a shorter than average dwarf, Finna followed behind the other dwarves - out of site and out the door. She was a little worried about what was in store for this curious group of dwarves, but she was more willing than worried and so, she hurried out behind the dwarf named Grorkin and found herself suddenly outside.

Hlaevang
17/Mar/2016, 08:16 PM
Hlaevang
Outside Dwarven Army HQ

Hlaevang waited for everyone to gather outside. The weather was brisk and promised to be clear for the evening. To tell the truth, he was excited with how things were working out. He knew there would be some rough patches but he was sure that they would be ironed out without any major issues. He had been waiting a long time for this moment and it seemed somehow surreal to him that it was finally upon him. It was weird. He had invested so much time and energy in getting this area ready for the recruits, and now he was almost worried about how things would proceed from here. He knew that his fears were largely unjustified, but he was like a proud father wanting to protect his child from harm.

Slowly the others made their way into the open air gathered around him as they prepared to depart on their tour. It was at this point that Hlaevang's friend Bovas caught his eye. He was glad to see him here and he felt some of his tension ease. Suddenly, things were starting to fall neatly into place again. Clasping his friend's arms he spoke, "Bovas my friend it is good to see that you have arrived safely. If you would like to join us, we are just getting ready to depart for a tour of the grounds here. Afterwards we will break for the evening and will reconvene tomorrow. It is up to you my friend."

With that he turned to those gathered around him. "Alright everyone. As I see that everyone is here now. If you will follow me, I am going to show you around." As they began to point out the key areas as they passed by. "Over to our right you will see a large field. This is where we will be conducting the bulk of your training in weapons and unarmed combat. Everything you need for this part of your training we shall provide." Moving along they continued their trek around the grounds and their Uzbad continued to point out key facilities like the medical building and the barracks. After about half an hour of walking they reached what appeared to be the last stop on their journey. "This building is our on-site tavern, The Dragon's End. I imagine that you will be regulars to this establishment when you are not training or otherwise on duty. Being that it is attached to our facilities here, it is used to catering to a rougher crowd than most. That said a certain level of decorum will be expected of you at all times as you are now representing the needs and interests of the kingdom. I have been advised that there is a brawling pit on their premises as well. So that finishes everything I have for your at the moment. Unless there are any questions, you are dismissed until first light tomorrow and we will begin."

Bandar
17/Mar/2016, 10:52 PM
Zifur son of Lifur

Zifur walked out the door and out into the tour with the rest of the dwarves. He looked at all the buildings with excitement. He wanted to become an officer right away. He looked around, looking at the tavern. He decided that that's where he would spend most of his time. He walked back ready for intense training the next day.

Bovas
20/Mar/2016, 03:56 PM
Being a keen observer, a camp tour seemed to be just exactly what he wanted. Shaking Hlaevang warmly by the hand he answered "I should very much like a tour of the grounds, after you". Training fields, medical facilities and The Dragon's End, all had been regular haunts back in the day. Bovas could scarcely wait to get back out on to the field and recommence his practise.

Gimli's axe
22/Mar/2016, 12:24 AM
Grorkin

Grorkin followed the Uzbad and listened intently to everything that he said. He knew that he would certainly be a regular at The Dragon's End and hoped that the pub would have a good selection of ales. After the tour, Grorkin took his leave of Hlaevang and trudged home, whistling as he went. He couldn't wait to start the training the next morning.

Hlaevang
22/Mar/2016, 09:55 PM
Dwarven Army OOC@everyone (http://www.lotrplaza.com/showthread.php?78640-Dwarven-Army-OOC)

Queen Nerwen
23/Mar/2016, 08:52 PM
Brandin

Brandin jogged swiftly towards the Headquarters of the Order of Gabilkhazad. A dwarven guard. The dwarven guard no less. It was reopening and recruiting and he would be the best, the finest, the fastest. He was going to absorb the knowledge of his trainers like a tired miner absorbs ale after a hard day's graft. This was going to be tough, but exhilarating and he couldn't wait to meet likeminded dwarves.

As the entrance came in view he stopped and took inventory. His black beard and hair had been trimmed and smoothed, plaited and decorated with the silver of his house. He wore red, blood red not wine red, leggings and shirt over which was a black leather jerkin and solid brown boots. It was all well made, heavy duty and serviceable. Brandin was not a gaudy dwarf, but he knew quality instinctively as did many of his kind. In his belt were a pair of black gloves and over his wrists were stiff gauntlets, plain and simple to look at, but hardy and protective.

He took measured, steady strides up the Headquarters and through the gates. Whatever recruits already on site had already been disbanded to duty, or practice or Brandin didn't know what. The new Headquarters was very well put together indeed, and he had expected nothing less from the dwarf builders. Brandin spotted a door with the Uzbad's sigil above, knocked smartly and waiting for invitation enter.

Drifa
25/Mar/2016, 08:14 PM
Finna
Dwarven Army HQ

Finna rushed back inside to sign the enrollment sheet that for some reason she did not see when the commander, Hlaevang, had presented it. She almost ran into another dwarf (Brandin) who came jogging up. Finna, bowed low and said.
'My pardon good dwarf! I am all a fluster as to what I should be doing and where I should be going! Please excuse me!'
She then found the enrollment sheet, signed her name and hurried back out the door, grinning at the dark haired, well groomed dwarf as she passed. She found her way back to the group and followed them on the tour. She was pleased with what she saw. She like the functional set up of the grounds. She also appreciated the fact that the trainees and officers had there own pub called, Dragon's End. She thought she might fit in here as she looked around at the other dwarves. They all seemed so much alike, yet different too.

Hlaevang
25/Mar/2016, 11:43 PM
Hlaevang
Dwarven Army HQ

Hlaevang was happy with how things were working out so far. The group of new recruits seemed excited to be here and had the potential to go far. Knowing he had many things to do before the morning's activities, he began the trek back to his office, watching as some of the others lingered for a while at the pub. Chuckling to himself he rounded a corner and made his way into the headquarters. As he approached the doors to his office he saw an eager Dwarf sitting outside. "I hope I have not kept you waiting for too long. I see that you are here to offer yourself for recruitment. Why don't you step into my office." Leading the Dwarf inside, he sat down at his desk. "All I need from you for the time being is your mark on this roster here. We will then have you come back tomorrow morning at first light and we will begin training. Be prepared to work hard, we will also conduct your orientation to our facilities at that time. So unless you have anything further to discuss, you are dismissed until first light tomorrow."

The Next Morning Before Dawn

Hlaevang awoke before dawn, in his office, ready to begin work with his new recruits. He had been up for a good portion of the previous evening preparing for today. He had thought long and hard on he would focus on for the first day, and he had decided on the absolute basics. He needed to properly gauge the knowledge of his recruits. This would likely be arduous for some but it was necessary. He carefully slid his hauberk of mithril-mail over his head in preparation for the day's activities. Strapping his axe and sword on either side of his hips, he made his way outside and over to the training fields. As he waited for the others to arrive he began his morning exercises.

Bandar
26/Mar/2016, 02:35 PM
Zifur son of Lifur

Zifur got up, tired, but excited. He was ready for training. He looked about in his suitcase for his father's old suit of armor and for his own axe. After he had found these, he got a bite to eat and head out to the training fields. He walked along no one was up. Maybe they were all still sleeping, Zifur thought. He got to the training field and saw Hlaevang doing his morning exercises. He joined in and told him a few jokes, such as:

Why can you never meet Sauron? Because there's always More door. Ha ha. He told many more.

Queen Nerwen
26/Mar/2016, 07:33 PM
Brandin
Dwarven Army HQ

Brandin saluted the Uzbad smartly and followed the dwarf into the office. He stood to attention - feet a shoulder width apart and hands clasped behind his back - while the commander seated himself and address Brandin. It transpired that joining the army was initially pretty easy, Brandin made his mark "BX" on the roster under several other names. "No sir, I have nothing more to discuss, unless there is some small task you wish to delegate me?" replied Brandin. He didn't really want to wait until tomorrow, and he wasn't sure about just sitting in the mess or the pub. If the Uzbad had nothing for him to do, perhaps there was a book on tactics he could read or some leather to wax up. Brandin did not do well with spare time.

Gimli's axe
28/Mar/2016, 04:43 PM
Grorkin

Grorkin awoke with a start and, suddenly remembering that he had to be at the training field by dawn, hastily rose from his bed. He dressed himself quickly and pulled his mail-shirt on over his head. On top of that he wore a leather jerkin and a belt, from which hung his beloved axe and his sword. Finally he placed his small helm (which he had made himself) on his head and set off towards the training field, trudging along in his heavy leather boots. When he arrived, he saw that the Uzbad and another dwarf (Zifur) were doing some warm-up exercises in the field. The other recruits were nowhere to be seen. The dwarf Zifur was apparently telling jokes, because he was talking and laughing merrily as he exercised. Grorkin joined them, and was soon huffing and puffing a little from the vigorous exercises and laughing at Zifur's jokes.

Hlaevang
30/Mar/2016, 12:10 AM
Uzbad Hlaevang
The Training Fields outside Erebor

Hlaevang felt refreshed after his early morning exercises. It was a routine which had been pressed upon him during the early days of his training with the army. Such routines often helped to ease the mind clearing it of distractions and the day's worries. As he finished, he looke up and say that many of his recruits had arrived ready to begin the day's work. He visually assessed them and how they fell into similar exercise routines limbering their bodies for the tasks ahead. "All right recruits, fall in!!" he barked. "Your weapons can be laid here on this table which I have set up as we will be working through the basics first. Please lay them out neatly, if you have multiple weapons please lay them beside each other. We will get to weapon's work in due course, have no fear." As he waited for them to place their weapons on the table behind him, Hlaevang turned and began to unbuckle his own weaponry. Laying his axes and his sword on the table, he then made his way over to one of the grappling circles in the middle of the field.

"Alright everyone, welcome to all of you! You are here because you all volunteered to join the army. On a much larger scale, we are here to perform the tasks laid out for us by our King and our superior officers to the best of our abilities. Our role in the kingdom is varied in its scope as well. While performing our duty we may be asked to fill in as guardsmen, but, more importantly, we are the kingdoms representatives. As such I will expect all of you act as befits your station and level of training. My job is to train you so that you can better represent us on the field and can later act as trainers yourselves. Understand that I will push you hard, but I won't give you more than I think you are capable of handling. If you have questions, or you have concerns about your training, please speak up and I will do my best to answer them for you. Yes, I am here to train you and work you hard, but I am also here to help. If I am explaining something poorly, let me know. We are in this together and I want to see you all reach your potential, whatever that may be. My office is always open if you wish to speak with me privately. Once we have finished with the basics, we will begin our weapons training.

Now, there was another reason why I had you shed your weapons. Your first task today is to describe to me, in detail, your weapons piece by piece including how you care for them. If you have prior experience or training in their use I would like to hear that as well. Decide among yourselves who will begin and we will take it from there."

Dwarven Army OOC@everyone (http://www.lotrplaza.com/showthread.php?78640-Dwarven-Army-OOC)

Hlaevang
02/Apr/2016, 11:49 PM

Queen Nerwen
04/Apr/2016, 08:33 PM
Brandin

The dwarf felt the breeze lift his hair and beard slightly as he stood in front of his Uzbad. It had been the perfect morning for a run and a dip in the icy river, which is exactly what he had done. Brandin listened intently as Hlaevang gave them a speech about the role of the army and their initial task. It seemed simple enough - learn from his superiors, represent the kingdom, know your duty and don't be afraid to learn. In his heart of heart Brandin knew he was up for the challenge.

Stepping up the table, he lay down his weapons; the war hammer, battle axe and two knives. All had been designed and made with him in mind, they were balanced to his grip and the way he held himself. Behind the congregated Army, in the Mountain, were the finest group of smiths and armourers in Middle Earth and Brandin called most of them "friend". "Lord Hlaevang" he began, "Here are my weapons. They were all made in the Lonely Mountain. My battle axe has a two foot shaft topped with a crescent blade which is ten inches at it's widest point. My war hammer is taller, made of darker wood than the axe. It is also heavier, the solid head of the hammer can impact great force and the curved spike can puncture or be used to grapple at armour or reins. My knives are simply daggers which I wear at my waist. They are sharp, good for close quarters or for slicing the evening meat. I do not carry adornment upon my weapons, they are plain and clean. I use oil given to me by the smiths as well as clean, hard-wearing cloths. Should an abrasive be needed the clans provided me with a sand mixture which they make especially to clean the weapons. I endeavour to keep them as clean and dry as possible always. While we are in times of peace I would not deign to carry either axe or hammer, but just knives. I see no need to parade around heavily armed. I am proficient in both the maintenance of my blades and the use, the smiths would not let me depart them without proving I knew what I had been given."

Brandin stepped back into line and waiting to hear from his fellows.

Hlaevang
05/Apr/2016, 05:18 PM

Gimli's axe
08/Apr/2016, 04:06 PM
Grorkin

Grorkin stepped forward when Brandin had finished speaking and bowed low to the Uzbad. "My lord," he said. "I have here a short sword and a battle axe and a helm and a mail-shirt, all of which were made here under the Mountain by myself. I specialize in the making of armor, so my weapons are some the very finest in all the Kingdom. My sword is rather short; the blade itself is only two feet long. The hilt is made of thick and solid wood, and it is plain and simple with no gems or adornments. My battle axe has a thick, two-sided head that is wrought out of a type of dark gray metal that is strong and durable. The two curved edges are tipped with gold and are each twelve inches long. The shaft is thirty inches long with a thin thread of gold running down it in a spiral, upon which is engraved our ancient battle cry, 'Baruk Khazad! Khazad ai-menu!'. My helm is tight-fitting and plain with no face-guards; the only precious metal on it is a small band of gold that runs around the bottom edge. The mail-shirt that I wear is just a simple shirt of closely-interlocking steel rings with no precious stones or metal. I care for each of these items diligently and polish them weekly, although I carry only the sword on a daily basis. When not in use, these weapons are kept clean and dry on a shelf in my house. I generally use them for practice once or twice a week and oil them afterwards." Grorkin bowed again and stepped back into line with his fellow recruits.

Hlaevang
09/Apr/2016, 07:23 PM
Uzbad Hlaevang
The Training Fields, Outside Erebor
Training:
Brandin - 2pts
Grorkin - 2pts
Zifur -
Bovas -
Tyr -
Ran -

The Uzbad listened intently as the two trainees gave their descriptions. They were direct with their approach and their descriptions were easy to follow.Hlaevang was pleased with what he heard. He had worked long enough to recognize that it was rare to find raw recruits who understood the minutiae of their weaponry. Yet, such was the case with these two. These two showed real promise and he was glad to be working with them. "Well said, both of you. Your descriptions were easy to follow and I can tell that you have a deep understanding of your weapons and armour. This will help you immensely in the days ahead and during your service with the Army. Now as we movce forward with your training it will become imperative that your proficiency in weapons be as varied as possible. Over the next while we will be focusing upon your axemanship as well as your prowess at unarmed combat. Once that stage is complete then we will be heading out on patrol to continue your training. Think of it as a team-building exercise. It should be fairly straight forward but it will give you all a chance to experience the surrounding region in ways which you may not have done before.

Now, while we wait for the others to provide their descriptions, I would like both of you to grab some water if you need it. We will making our way over to the sparring circle once I have heard from the others. You will notice that I have set up some Orc-shaped practice dummies. Once we are ready to go, I will advise you all of the next task." With that Hlaevang turned his attention back to the other recruits and awaited their responses.

Gimli's axe
12/Apr/2016, 06:14 PM
Grorkin

Grorkin beamed with pleasure at the Uzbad's compliment and listened intently as Hlaevang explained the next step of their training. He couldn't wait to knock off a few of those Orc-dummy heads with his axe. Whistling happily, he headed over to the newly-opened pub for a quick drink of water and, regretfully passing up the ale that was offered him, he hurried back to the training field and took his place again among the other recruits.

Hlaevang
14/Apr/2016, 08:18 PM

Hlaevang
17/Apr/2016, 12:50 AM
Uzbad Hlaevang, the Training Fields
Training:
Brandin - 2pts
Grorkin - 2pts

Hlaevang watched as the two recruits departed to their tasks. Having able-bodied soldiers like these will make his job much easier in the days ahead. He had learned a long time ago to always be prepared for the next wave of trouble. He had a sneaking suspicion that something was brewing and he was sure that he would have to push them through their training quicker than he normally would like, but he was sure that they would be able to handle it. A sense of restlessness was beginning to overtake him though. His need to travel the wilds and winnow away at the Orc population had caused him some trouble in the past and he was using everything that he had to remain focused upon the task which he had been given. Giving a last look at the table of weapons, he proceeded to join the others outside the sparring circle.

Grabbing a simple one-handed axe from the rack, he then walked into the circle and turned to address the recruits. "Alright. Welcome to the sparring circle. During this next stage of your training I am going to assume you have a basic understanding of axe-fighting. What we are going to learn now is how to apply and refine that knowledge for use within the Army. Before we begin, if you find that I am going to quickly for you, please speak up or get my attention. The primary focus here is to get you comfortable enough with your own abilities and proficiencies. First off, your primary weapon is not the axe, nor is it any kind of blade. Your mind is your best and most basic weapon. Having a keen understanding of your surroundings can mean the difference between victory and defeat. Every battle is a constant shift from one strategy to the next. Each side desperately trying to gain the upper hand in the fight. More often than not it is the simplest strategies which will win the day.

Now, in a fight it is the results which matter most. Yes, there is a certain level of decorum to be maintained as no one wants their soldiers running amok completely unrestrained. But, fighting isn't pretty. War isn't pretty. Fighting pretty is for Elves and those races whose bodies are designed for that particular style of combat. We are not. We are shorter than Elves and Men and generally are not well-suited for acrobatics and tree-hopping. This isn't to say that there aren't sometimes exceptions to this rule, but in general we are stocky and less agile. So when we fight, we play to our strengths. I will give you an example. If an enemy comes at you and you take him down with a "clean" shot, that is fantastic. But if I take down a similar enemy with a shot to the kidneys or taking him out at the knees, that is okay too. In the end, results are what matters. The enemy is just as dead either way and, perhaps, you can move on to the next target. When you are in close quarters with a foe, you want to grip your axe like so" Hlaevang gripped the shaft of his axe in one hand and demonstrated resting the base of the shaft in the palm of his free hand. "Holding it like so will give you greater control over your movements while still allowing for a greater range of motion. In this manner you have several options open to you. You can drive your blade into the belly or other soft regions of your target, you can knock its legs out from under it and drive downwards with the finishing blow, and so on. If you look behind me, you will notice that each "Orc" is now well-armed. Your next task is to disarm your foe. Gripping the axe like I have done, use the shaft to drive upwards into your opponents wrist thus knocking its weapon to the ground. Watch closely as I demonstrate." Taking his axe, he gripped it as he had shown his recruits shaft stretching horizontally in front of his chest and drove it upwards into the dummy's wrist knocking the blade harmlessly to the ground. Turning to his recruits, "Now it is your turn" he said. "Grab one of the axes from the rack to your left and try to do as I have shown you. After you have done so a few times, we will finish up your first day with a couple of laps around the training yard and then you will be dismissed for the day."

PS. Now under revision

Hlaevang
20/Jan/2017, 11:17 PM
Uzbad Hlaevang
Uzbad's Office

Hlaevang sat in front of the hearth in his office as he pondered the last several weeks. Life had been all over the place for him lately, and he was eager to get back to the basics of a simpler life. Training had been proceeding slowly but he was hopeful that his recruits would make it through without too many mishaps. His own unexpected absence had also created a delay in the training so now he was having to motivate them to get things going again. It was a lengthy process, but one he was sure he could accomplish. Having said that, he was finding his thoughts wandering to friends throughout the regions. Such friendships had been nurtured and cultivated over the years and he was eager to reconnect with them again. It had been quite some time since he had officially visited the areas outside Lonely Mountain and he thought that this would be a fantastic opportunity for his recruits as well. They would get some valuable experience in interacting with the other races, and they might just learn some things about themselves much as he had when he first started out. As he sat in his chair, he thought over what form this would take. He would need to make it interesting but different from the normal routine, and he would need to provide a certain level of challenge in order to appeal to his recruits. After much thought and careful deliberation, he decided that he would take them on patrol, being mindful to stop in at the other areas within the region. He would need approach and forewarn the other areas so as not to create major incidents before they were to depart.

http://www.lotrplaza.com/showthread.php?78640-Dwarven-Army-OOC