Gardener of the Shire
    Mine was how dark the story itself was and the story of Turin makes Middle Earth come alive again after being dormant for so long

Tulkas

Since I have read Kalevala the similarities between these two makes the whole story good. It's tragedy and darkness make it in some ways hard to read but in the same time it gives new views after every reading.
    It's a great story of power of will and how one fights against 'windmills' so to speak.

Defender of Imladris
    I don't know if I have a favorite part. I love Turin's story, but thinking of individual parts just makes me want to say "Turin, you're an idiot."

Also the parallels to Tuor's story make it even sadder.
    "And as she knelt before him her tears fell upon his feet like rain upon the stones; and Mandos was moved to pity, who never before was so moved, nor has been since."

New Soul
    I like it when his father smites the dwarf who betrayed Turin. I liked all the story.

5. I like all the stories.

Artisan of Lindon
    Quote Originally Posted by Artanaro View Post
    I don't know if I have a favorite part. I love Turin's story, but thinking of individual parts just makes me want to say "Turin, you're an idiot."
    My thoughts exactly.

There is at least a small spark of hope in the story, since Turin did slay Glaurung after all. But it's not very big! Perhaps my "favorite" part, in terms of a resolving moment, is (in TS at least) when Turin is about to kill himself, and his sword speaks to him. There is justice that will indeed be dealt to Turin for his crimes.

Gardener of Lothlorien
    It would have been the end, but in the middle i looked at the table of contents and the whole book was ruined for me!!!!

New Soul
    It's hard for me to single out a favorite part of the book in particular, for the story as a whole is great and sad. To choose one, I would say when Turin comes back to home in the North, seeking to deliver his mother. He found is old friend Sador whihc is a moving part to read. But despite his good intentions he brought only woe to his people by his slayings and Turin is forced to fled.
    Last edited by sam90; 05/May/2013 at 06:57 PM.

Youth of Mirkwood
    I loved the darker tone of the story overall. However, I really liked the end when Hurin's wife dies. It is a bitter ending that is undeserving of a hero like Hurin, but adds to the tragedy of the story.
    "My friends, you bow to no one."

Needleworker of Mirkwood
    My favorite part? It's a new, different, story coming from a vivid but thoughtful imagination. As I've argued elsewhere, I think The Children of Hurin paints a fundamentally different picture of Middle-earth than the LoTR does - one devoid of Providence.
    The past is not dead. It is not even past.
    <br />-William Faulkner

Herald of Imladris
    Do you consider Children of Hurin to be a new story really? It technically is just a final compilation of the stories of Turin taken from its positions in Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion.

12. Maybe not a new story, but definetly a well donne text which dwelves into one of ME most importantstories. I'd love to see more on Beren and Luthien for example. I feel it is a great addition to the lore and it has become my favourite Tolkien-book!
    Nai ainur raituvar tiëtyanna!

Gardener of Lothlorien
    I like the overall dark-tone of the book. It is so much different than Tolkien's other works. I like thend because, most of the time there arent happy endings...

Wanderer of the Lone Lands
    Quote Originally Posted by Métima Námië View Post
    Do you consider Children of Hurin to be a new story really? It technically is just a final compilation of the stories of Turin taken from its positions in Unfinished Tales and The Silmarillion.
    Yes, Children of Hurin is how it should have been presented to us. Being that Turin was my favorite part of Silmarillion, and Narn i Chîn Húrin was an expansion on that. There were a couple rough edits in Children of Hurin, but a good book nonetheless.
    Annalist, Physician, & Historian
    of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
    The Free Company of Arnor

Messenger of the Lone Lands
    I agree, Hanasian. The published edition of The Silmarillion is quite thin on many details, and given Christopher Tolkien's later scholarship, not definitive on all matters concerning the Elder Days. It has been some years since I read The Children of Húrin, been it seems, if my memory serves, that the narrative itself is also a much easier read than The Silmarillion.
    Last edited by Terenduíl; 09/Feb/2014 at 12:11 AM.

Scribe of Erebor
    My favorite parts would have to be the parts with Mim (he is one of my favourite characters), and the death of Glaurung.
    Baruk Khazâd! Khazâd ai-mênu!

Vassal of Ithilien
    Reading the Silmarillion chapter the death olf Finduilas was a moving moment for me within the context of the Silmarillion as it bought home to me that a dramatic number of characters were dying. When I read the narn i chin Hurin the meeting with Sador in Dor Lomin was moving. In the full version I also liked the dialogue between Turin and Sador concerning the nature of elves and men, when Turin was but a child and most of Beleriand was still held by the elf Kings.

18. I love the whole story too

Poll WordPress !! WordPress coming soon
    Last edited by jimkido; 28/Jan/2015 at 01:24 PM.

Gardener of Lothlorien
    I recently finished reading this book and really enjoyed it! Throughout the entire story the darkness, and tragedy of it was very gripping to me. Like many of you mentioned above, it is difficult to select one particular part as favorite...but as the entire story culminates in the slaying of Glaurung and 'all is explained' - it actually brought tears to my eyes! Made me wish I could jump in the story and fix things!
    -- Savo 'lass a lalaith--Have joy and laughter--

Scribe of Erebor
    I really liked the book. It's is so very different from the LOTR and The Hobbit. It's a beautiful story and I think I liked it's ending the most. For some reason you keep hoping that all will turn out fine, but it doesn't and the curse still hits. It's very very sad, but so beautifully written that it still feels 'right'. sometimes stories with a sad ending leave me frustrated, but this one left me melancholic and sad, something not many books manage to achieve for me, even if they try.

Cottager of Ithilien
    Would you guys recommend this as a must read?It's the only book by Tolkien that I haven't touched. I'm aware of Hurin's back story and what this novel is in regards to, but I never got the chance to pick it up

22. The only one? That's really impressive!

I am still struggling to get through even this list: http://www.tolkiensociety.org/author/books-by-tolkien/
    (and then I haven't even got started on some of the more exotic stuff such as his poems in Song for the Philologists or his Lay of Atrou and Itroun from Welsh Review (December 1945).

But, regarding The Children of Húrin ...

In some ways, I would argue that this book is more important than The Silmarillion because it tells the story with less editorial interference and because it is the only of the great stories that Tolkien managed to rewrite a sufficient part of to allow this kind of publication. He did start a rewriting of The Fall of Gondolin (available in Unfinished Tales as ‘Of Tuor and his Coming to Gondolin’) that only reaches so far as to get Tuor in view of Gondolin, and he never managed to even begin a rewriting of the story of Lúthien and Beren, the longest telling of which remains the Lay of Leithian in rhyming couplets from c. 1950 (available in The Lays of Beleriand as ‘The Lay of Leithian recommenced’).

In effect, The Children of Húrin offers us the only extant glimpse of the kind of Middle-earth story-teller that Tolkien might have become after publishing The Lord of the Rings (some of this can also be glimpsed in e.g. Smith of Wootton Major, but that is, of course, not a work belonging to the Middle-earth tradition), and our only real chance to really experience that enchantment, the Secondary Belief, of his sub-creation (this being, at least for me, rather difficult in the annotated and commented format of The History of Middle-earth). It is for this that I think one should seek out this book (most of the text has already been published elsewhere, but never in this format).
    Troels Forchhammer, physicist, Denmark
    The love of Faery is the love of love: a relationship toward all things, animate and inanimate, which includes love and respect ...

Mercenary of Minas Tirith
    To me, The Children Of Hurin pretty much is like the first age in Middle Earth in general. That is, it is very sad. In the case of Turin, it is merely more pronounced than in other cases.

Hurin and Turin in many ways reminds me of Denethor. That is, he is a great man, mighty among men of his age, but the pride of Turin and refusal to take the advice of others, ultimately help lead to his downfall.

Hurin is also like to Denethor in that they both battled the will of the dark lord of their times, and though neither became his slave, they were deceived by him to the misfortune of their allies.

So I guess for me, the characters are the most interesting part of the book.

I only wish that Tolkien could have lived 5-10 more years so that we could have more stories and works of his finished.

Gardener of the Shire
    My favourite part of any book is the end, since you can see how everything worked out. However, upon completing a book (most of the time) I wish I was still reading it.
    Last edited by brumtown; 21/Jul/2016 at 01:06 PM.

25. My favorite part about the book is the authors capability of describing the moment explicitly. A scene which can be written in 2 pages but the author has described in an entire chapter.

Counsellor of Elrond
    I used to listen to stories on my way to and from work and on the bus. When I was listening to The Silmarillion for the first time I was riding on a bus, and when the climax to Túrin's story went into my ears through the headphones I gasped aloud. (I still have all of my Silm CD's loaded onto my old 16G pre-smartphones Sony Walkman, which I listen to every so often. The software is obsolete, but I can still listen to everything I already had on it.)

Sooo, it was good to be able to hear his entire story in TCoH - I was desperate to hear more!