Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    Counsellor of Erebor

What are you reading?

I have read some interesting books over the last year. * This means I truly liked it.

It (reread), Rose Madder, Cell, Lisey' Story - Stephen King
    The Bell Jar* - Sylvia Plath
    The Underground Man* - Mick Jackson
    Immortals - Tracy Hickman
    Haunted, Survivor *, Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
    The Beginning Place, The Lathe Of Heaven, The Word For World Is Forest, Four Ways To Forgiveness, Very Far Away From Anywhere Else - Ursula K Le Guin
    The Grapes Of Wrath, Sweet Thursday, The Pastures Of Heaven, The Winter Of Our Discontent* - John Steinbeck
    A Million Little Pieces - James Frey (I was addicted to this one and read it all in one sitting)
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (reread), Shadowmarch tetralogy - Tad Williams
    One Hundred Years Of Solitude* - Gabriel García Márquez
    The Green Knight - Iris Murdoch
    Of Human Bondage* - W. Somerset Maugham
    Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
    Sons and Lovers, The Virgin and The Gypsy - D. H. Lawrence
    The Manhatten Hunt Club - John Saul
    Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz
    Death Gate Cycle series - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

I am now reading Weaveworld - Clive Barker.

So what are you reading?

Love is a big word like ocean, mountain, sky...

Warlord of Mordor
    Currently I am reading:

Aislinge Meic Con Glinne (the Vision of Mac Conglinne), in the original Old Irish and in translation (by Kuno Meyer)
    The Corps: Semper Fi by W.E.B. Griffin
    Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

Nienna
    Currently reading -
    Warhorse - Michael Morpurgo
    The Constant Princess - Philippa Gregory
    “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Gwaihir
    An old Viking tale written by myself once.

5. Les Miserables by Victor Hugo
    The Caster Chronicles II : Beautiful Darkness by Kami Garcia and Margaret Stohl
    The Talisman by Stephen King and Peter Straub
    The Once and Future King by T.H. White
    The Winter King by Bernard Cornwell
    Artemis Fowl : The Arctic Incident by Eoin Colfer
    Protector of the Small III : Squire by Tamora Pierce
    The Mortal Instruments : The City of Bones by Cassandra Clare
    The Tempest by William Shakespeare
    The Sagas of the Icelanders
    Watership Down by Richard Adams
    Malazan Book of the Fallen : Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erickson
    The Dark Tower IV : Wizard and Glass by Stephen King
    The Dead Zone by Stephen King
    Duma Key by Stephen King
    Out of the Silent Planet by C.S. Lewis
    The Dark Legacy of Shannara : The Wards of Faerie by Terry Brooks
    The Scarlet Pimpernel by Baroness Emmuska Orczy
    Dragonlance : The Lost Chronicles II - Dragons of the Highlord Skies by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman
    Dragonlance : The Dark Disciple III - Amber and Ashes by Margaret Weis

There are more....lol but I'm concentrating on these above mostly. I'm nearly finished with The Talisman. And The Dark Legacy of Shannara : The Wards of Faerie by Terry Books - I have a few chapters left.

Drifa, it's nice to know that there's another Stephen King fan on the Plaza and someone else who enjoys the work of Weis & Hickman. I thought I was the only one.

I have Weaveworld at the house but haven't begun reading it yet ; I'll let you know - and Aerlinn Mordagnir - when I do !
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 15/Jan/2013 at 05:56 PM.
    "How long do you want it to be?" - Steven C.
    "As long as it needs to be." - Aimmi G.

Doorwarden of the Mark
    Perelandra - C.S. Lewis (second reading, this time for an assignment)
    Tolkien and the Great War - John Garth (went to his lecture!)
    An American Knight - Norman Fulkerson
    Orthodoxy - G.K. Chesterton
    Selected Letters of Sir Thomas More
    Dissertationem de Hominem post mortem Sanguisusgis Vulgo Sic Dictis, Vampyren
    ab Christophorus Pohlius atque Gottlob Hertelius
    (Translation) Dissertation on the Men Sucking Blood After Death, commonly called Vampires, by Chrstopher Pohlius and Gottlob Hertelius (It's a book from 1732 that I and some other people are translating from Latin)

Oh yes, and one fun little book called A Fool's Adventure......

ETA Murder in the Cathedral by T.S. Eliot...I really like it so far.
    Last edited by Eafurth Hćgweard; 18/Jan/2013 at 12:03 AM.

7. A Fool's Adventure...you mean Baingil's novel ? It's cool we are reading the same sci-fi trilogy, btw, Eafurth !

Doorwarden of the Mark
    Yes! It is hilarious, cinnamon roll wars and all! Wish I was there!

I noticed you were reading Out of the Silent Planet....if you haven't read the others, I must tell you it only gets better!

9. Bain is such an awesome writer, Eafurth ! Witty and dramatic. She shared with me a couple of chapters from the novel she wrote for November's NaNo and got me emotional lol. My debut NaNo book, The Traveller, first in a series called The Chronicles of Anne Walker, will be available this summer on Amazon, I'm sure ! Just editing it majorly now ; I need to finish that by March or April.

I'll let you know when I'm done with Silent Planet !
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 15/Jan/2013 at 06:19 PM.

Doorwarden of the Mark
    I know! Her characters are consistent and believable, and I love how they all have a deeper side underneath the insanity. Ooh, yes, when yours comes out you need to let us know! I'm waiting.

Personally, I thought Silent Planet was boring compared to Perelandra, which was boring compared to That Hideous Strength (one of my favorite books of all time!).

Assassin of Umbar
    Currently reading The Way We Live Now by Anthony Trollope.

For a...um....more comprehensive list check out my profile on goodreads

Last edited by Asha Greyjoy; 15/Jan/2013 at 07:31 PM.

<br />Not all those who wander are lost

Herd Loremaster of Fangorn
    Currently reading:

Collected Works of Shakespeare. Very slow going, but I'm about 1/2 way through.

Biology, a basic 1st year bio textbook. Not for school, but I like bio!

The Stand, by Stephen King. This is the original, cut, unexpanded version. Quite interesting to see how it's different from the updated, expanded version most people have.

As Texas goes, by Gail Collins, about Texas' influence on the rest of the US.

Dictionary of Manitoba Biography--exactly what it sounds like...

The Fix, by Damian Thompson, about addictions and their increasing prevalence in our world.

Authentic Electronic Records: Strategies for Long-Term Access, by Charles Dollar. This is verydry. It's for a certification exam that I'm studying for.

Estë
    Mockingjayby Suzanne Collins. Though I'm on the epilogue, so basically done.
    Geef me de Ruimte! by Thea Beckman. (Translation: Give me Space!) Nostalgia, dutch teen book on a girl who runs away from home to get out of an arranged marriage in France during the Hundred Year War. Almost done with that too, but it's part one of a trilogy.
    Gardens of the Moon by Steven Erikson. Dark fantasy novel.
    Beowulf. Research. *g*

Minstrel of Lothlorien
    So, I'll do the list of books I've read over this past year as well as the one's I'm currently reading. Beware, it's quite extensive. These are just the books that I've read since January of last year, and I know this isn't all of them. The majority are for school, but they were all great books that I probably would've read on my own anyway.

If you want to keep up with what I will be reading this year, you may wish to friend me on goodreads. I can send an invitation to be my friend on there if you'd like.

The Iliad by Homer
    The Odyssey by Homer
    The Oresteia by Aeschylus
    Oedipus by Sophocles
    The Peloponnesian War by Thucydides (this was only selections, but I'm planning on reading the entire work at some point)
    Meno, Phaedo, Symoposium, Republic, and Timaeus by Plato
    The Bacchae by Euripides
    The Faerie Queene by Edumnd Spenser
    Institutes of Christian Religion by John Calvin (selections)
    Selections from His Writings by Martin Luther (selections)
    The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer (selections)
    The Pearl trans. Tolkien
    The Poetry of Petarch (selections)
    The Divine Comedy (Inferno, Purgatory, and Paradise) by Dante
    Richard III, Henry IV parts 1 and 2, Henry the V by Shakespeare
    Upstairs at the White House by J.B. West
    Manalive by G.K. Chesterton
    The Hunger Games, Catching Fire, and Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
    A Game of Thrones by George Martin

Now, currently reading.
    The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Addams
    A Clash of Kings by George Martin
    Nicomachean Ethics by Aristotle

Sanity is a disease that must be cured. If you wish to cure this disease, join Wilderland.

Elder of Isengard
    Hope you enjoy Weaveworld!

Imp of Umbar
    The last few books I read (fiction, anyway) were probably Dumas' The Count of Monte Cristo and Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I'm about to reread The Hobbit, but haven't gotten to it yet.

Counsellor of Erebor
    I did enjoy it Pallador. I finished it today. Long live the Fugue!

I like Ken Kesey. He also wrote Sometimes A Great Notion, which I read about 35 years ago. I did see the movie first with Paul Newmen and Henry Fonda. If I remember correctly, the book was better which inspired me to buy One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest. I still have that copy.

Ambassador of Erebor
    Asha: I read The Way We Live Now a few years ago and really enjoyed it.

I don't have a lot of time to read and lately it's been mostly Bible, field guides and books on birds of prey.

I am currently reading The Hobbit again.

This last year I read:

The Pickwick Papers -Dickens
    Hard Times -Dickens.
    Turn of the Screw -Henry James
    Owen Wingrave -Henry James

Other recent reads:

Bleak House -Dickens
    Far from the Madding Crowd -Hardy
    Middlemarch -Eliot
    Jane Eyre -Bronte

Next up, I think, will be Our Mutual Friend by Dickens.

Expendable of Mordor
    I've spent most of my time reading urban planning and transportation policy literature for school but over my break I read America Again: Rebecoming the Greatness We Never Weren't by Stephen Colbert and am currently reading City of Quartz by Mike Davis. The first one is a comedy book and the second one is about the history and future of Los Angeles.

March Warden of the Shire
    Well, during the Fall when things were really really dismal for me, between my Mom's health failing and then her passing at Christmas, and the damages from Superstorm Sandy, et cetera, et al, I have had a great need of "comfort food" so I reread The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings. It was I believe the 46th time, not including dipping in stuff. But it might have been #47??

Right now I am reading A Memory of Light, which was released a week ago. It is the final (#14) book in the Wheel of Time series, by Robert Jordan and Brandon Sanderson. I can barely sleep at night after reading several hair-raising passages as events play out that have been long expected.

Brandon Sanderson's second book in his new Stormlight Archive series will be out Fall 2013.
    George R.R. Martin should have his #6 book in the Ice and Fire series out in a year.

(I am also reading various nonfiction, which I won't go into here.
    Except to say, yeah, City of Quartz is on my to-read shelf. I read Mike Davis' other book on LA, and it was excellent.)
    Last edited by Ankala Teaweed; 16/Jan/2013 at 05:30 AM.
    formerly
    Elite Hyandaner Ann Kalagon, awarded the Order of Ecthelion

Gwaihir
    Merl: Most of her books I read on the Havo, before I studied off in 1992. Jan Terlouw is also a writer I read in that time a lot of books from. And a couple of other writers I have forgotten. I looked mostly for Lemniscaat books, because I knew they published exciting adventures about all sorts of persons and about all times.

Historian of Lothlorien
    Right now i'm reading a book called Clockwork Angel. Its an Infernal Series by Cassandra Clare. And I need to start reading more so if anyone has any suggestions on some really good reads throw them my way :D

23. I will, Eafurth !

Beautiful Creatures
    , Tari .

Have fun reading Clockwork Angel ! I'm enjoying the Mortal Instruments series right now but I'll let you know when I read the prequel saga you're focusing on.

Pick up a copy of Stephen King's The Gunslinger, first installlment in the epic Dark Tower series, or his dystopian thriller The Stand.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 16/Jan/2013 at 09:35 PM.

Potentate of Isengard
    I'm currently reading Jonathan Strange and Mr. Norrel by Susanna Clarke. Last two I finished were Old Man's War by John Scalzi and Mr. Penumbra's 24-Hour Bookstore by Robin Sloan
    Last edited by Nylara; 17/Jan/2013 at 04:49 AM.

25. I've just ordered Louis L'Amour's novelization of How the West was Won ! I've only read one other book by him before, Sackett's Land ; I still have intention to read the rest in that saga and all his other western stories, also.

New Soul
    Well, I just finished Sex and the City by Candace Bushnell, not my usual type of read and also not a great book IMO. It took me about 4 hours to read it though.

I have four other books that I will be reading now/soon:
    The Crow by Alison Croggon (Books of Pellinor; this is a reread <3)
    The Magician's Guild by Trudi Canavan
    The Fault in Our Stars by John Greene
    Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb

I also recently finished The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss and it was AMAZING. Recommend to all! Gotta go out and find #2.

Minstrel of Lothlorien
    Oh I also read Mortal Instruments, City of Bones in Christmas. It was ok but did not entice me that much to keep reading the rest. Same happened with Mockingjay... but I'll get to the rest of the series at some point.
    I only now read the Girl who played with fire trilogy by Stieg Larson and I totally loved it.
    Aig, I noticed you're reading the Malazan Book of the fallen series... is it good? I've read a thousand great things about it and was thinking of picking it up.
    Oh, I also read Stardust by Neil Gaiman and the First Law trilogy by Joe Abercrombie (the worst ending of a trilogy I've ever read by the way...)
    And I would also love to read your NaNo stories guys! How can I find those books?
    Χαίρε Εαρέντιλ λαμπρότερε των αστεριών!

28. It's pretty good high fantasy, Kassi ! The first book, Gardens of the Moon, is quite suspenseful. There's a huuuuge cast of characters to enjoy like in The Lord of the Rings and A Song of Ice and Fire. My favourite characters are : Sorry, a girl who is a deadly pawn of a supernatural being ; Rallick, an assassin ; Crokus, a thief ; and the enigmatic, powerful Anomander Rake who is a non-human leader resisting the might of a ruthless empress.

I haven't got my first book on Amazon yet because I'm still extending the story, something I wasn't able to do in one month's time, so it'll be this summer but
    HERE is the link to Baingíl's A Fool's Adventure !

Archer of Imladris
    Going through A Song of Ice and Fire after seeing GoT last spring (Sweden is 1 year behind the U.S. in broadcasting it). Only halfway through the second book so far, but they're pretty good. Other than that, some of my favourites include His Dark Materials, Narnia, Inheritance Cycle (basically Star Wars storyline with LotR characters but he's a good writer), Earthsea, Harry Potter, Artemis Fowl and - of course - anything by Tolkien (whom I like to refer to as The Master).
    "I found it is the small everyday deeds of ordinary folk that keep the darkness at bay: small acts of kindness and love."
    -Gandalf

Mentor of Lothlorien
    Kassi- I did the same thing with City of Bones. It was ok, but I had no desire to move on. Stardust is great!
    Quill- I love the Books of Pellinor, too. I bought them all. Oh! And you've read Patrick Rothfuss? He is wonderful. I'm anxiously awaiting book 3.

As far as what I've read in the last year, I can't even begin to remember everything, let alone list them. Some favorites, though, have been the Seven Realms novels by Cinda Williams Chima, The Name of the Wind, several books by Michelle Moran, including Nefertiti, The Heretic Queen, and Cleopatra's Daughter. Those last three are great if you love historical fiction and have a fascination with ancient Egypt/Rome.

I am currently reading:
    Eon, by Alison Goodman
    North and South, by Elizabeth Gaskell
    Hadrian and the Triumph of Rome, by Anthony Everitt (he was a guest star on The Colbert Report, and I about had an aneurysm from sheer nerdy joy)

Minstrel of Lothlorien
    Aig, thanks for the link! I just have to make a paypal account at last to get to the book. And to yours, be sure to tell us when it is available! About the info on the Malazan Book... many characters you said? I think it's going to be my next choice of reading!
    Oh Quill, I'm reading Robbin Hobb now and her writing is so magical! I have already loved her!
    And Patrick Rothfuss is quite cool, I can't wait for the third book to come out too, Cair! (I mostly read City of Bones because I was enthralled by the movie's trailer... and it was not something special unfortunately. I guess it's because of all those books with gothic-vampire-angels/devils themes that come out the last years; some were great and some not so much). I'm looking at those books you're reading now.
    Have you read any Arthur Clark? I really want to but haven't yet for some reason...

Old Took
    Current reading: Le coeur et la raison, French translation of Dorothy Sayers's Gaudy Night.

kassiopi, do you mean Arthur C. Clarke?
    The incarnate mind, the tongue and the tale are in our world coeval.

Minstrel of Lothlorien
    Well, yeah wrong spelling, sorry! The sci-fi author in any case!

Old Took
    That's OK, I just wasn't sure.

A lot of his stuff looks pretty dated now. However, there are one or two things you may find interesting. Try Childhood's End, or The City and the Stars.

BTW, in the late 1940s, he took part in a debate on space travel with Tolkien and C.S. Lewis at the Eastgate Hotel in Oxford.
    The incarnate mind, the tongue and the tale are in our world coeval.

March Warden of the Shire
    Arthur C. Clarke has said of the Red Mars, Blue Mars, Green Mars three book series by Kim Stanley Robinson that it is the best scifi Martian colonization work. If you like hard scifi, go for it. Great stuff.
    formerly
    Elite Hyandaner Ann Kalagon, awarded the Order of Ecthelion

Mentor of Lothlorien
    kassi- Yeah, the movie trailer looked alright. It's definitely riding the Twilight popularity train. Eon is really good, if you like fantasy. It's set in a world where there are spirit/elemental dragons, each joined with a "dragoneye", a human who works with them. The main character is a girl pretending to be a boy so she can take the test to be joined with a dragon. It's really good so far. Just need to go get book 2. I haven't read any Arthur C. Clarke. I definitely skew more toward fantasy than sci-fi.

Aide of Mirkwood
    Eafurth: Eeeeeeeeeee someone's reading my book! THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU *bounces in joy* And thanks for the nice comments!

Those chapters that Aig was talking about, by the way, are from the prequel to A Fool's Adventure that I'm working on. Just so you know! (After that I'll rewrite A Fool's Adventure - I'd like to fix some pacing and modify some details about the world that I only recently ironed out.)

Also, I LOVE C.S. Lewis's Space trilogy. I agree - That Hideous Strength is amazing. I personally liked Out of the Silent Planet better than Perelandra, though - a few things about Perelandra seemed a little dragged out, and the effort that C.S. Lewis put into making a language for the hrossa impressed me. But that's my opinion. Also, Orthodoxy by G.K. Chesterton is my favorite non-fiction book ever.

My reading list right now:
    Mostly textbooks.
    The Planet Construction Kit by Mark Rosenfelder.
    On my way through The Ultimate Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Second reading.
    Does my NaNo novel from last year count?

Pretty much everything else falls under the "recently read" or "in planning to be read" catagory, rather than "what am I reading now". Generally, if it's a good book and not the size of a dictionary, I'm not going to be online posting about it till it's finished. Also, I don't have as much time as I'd like these days. I'm either in school, at work, doing homework or writing. Or doing what I'm about to do...

*goes to open a word document to write, and then spend hours watching spiders and things on Youtube (thanks Moriel) and yawn at the screen*

P.S. For all you lovely people who are interested in A Fool's Adventure: There may be little extras for people who order the book (or even people who say nice things to me - why yes I might be a teeny bit susceptible to flattery), such as previews of the prequel or an e-copy of A Fool's Adventure when I get it edited (a few months from now). Maybe. Just sayin'. If you're interested in reading my fantasy writing feel free to PM me about it.
    sɐɹplɐℲ - ˙ʎzɐɹɔ ǝɹɐ ǝldoǝd no⅄

New Soul
    Dincairwen - Ah, someone else who likes Pellinor! They echo LOTR very heavily (sometimes a little too heavily!), so of course I love them...Croggon's lyrical prose is endlessly beautiful and I love the culture of the Bards. I am 2/3 into my reread of The Crow now and will be sad when they are over. And YES, I just finished reading The Name of the Wind and it blew me away. The library here CLAIMS they have Wise Man's Fear on the shelf, but I have been able to find it nowhere...their organization is abysmal. I'm probably gonna do a tour of some bookstores tomorrow though, and see if any of them have WMF for a bargain price. I bought the first one for 50 cents, just because I thought it looked cool...what a great deal!

Kassi - I have never read Robin Hobb but I have been recommended her books by several different people (and this situation will be soon to be remedied since I have Assassin's Apprentice on my shelf). Does she have a few different series? Which ones are the best?

Crafter of Erebor
    I third recommendation of Robin Hobb, though my fave is Liveship traders trilogy, not Farseers. Farseers are ok, but Liveship traders rock!

I'm currently reading Carl Sagan's Cosmos and A. Rice The Vampire Lestat. Carl Saga in brilliant as always, not sure about Anne RIce. This is my first encounter with her writing. I'm undecided yet.

Read in the past year:
    non fiction:
    Carl Sagan - Millions and Millions - essays - amazing and highly recommended
    Carl Sagan - The demon haunted world - its Carl Sagan - of course I'd recommend it!
    R. Feynman - Surely you're joking, Mr. Feynman - hilarious and you learn physics too!
    The God Delusion - Richard Dawkins - loved it! Then again, I loved all of his books.
    N. Walter- Living dolls - the return of sexism - veeeery good.

fiction:
    Suzanne Colllins - Hunger Games triology - enjoyed immensely and got me started on apocalyptic, dystopian novels
    S. King - The running man - good dystopia but disturbing
    Neil Shusterman - Unwind - good idea but it was a tad boring for me
    Orwell's 1984 - amazing
    Ken Follet - The man from St. Petersburg - meeh, okay but wouldn't re-read it
    F. Forsyth - The Avenger - amazing political/spy thriller
    R.J. Anderson - Knife - meeeh, expected more, was disappointed
    K.M. Moning - Fever series - pretty fun and imaginative urban fairy novels though I was scared to walk in the dark or a while after reading the books. :D
    2 okay scifi flicks I cannot remember author nor the title. One was called the transformation or something like it.

Getting Kindle definitely paid off for me! And now y'all got me interested in The Name of the Wind.
    Last edited by Ránlindë Fey; 20/Jan/2013 at 10:45 PM.

New Soul
    I have finished all the books on my previous list. Here is my new list of books I am setting out to read:

A Wise Man's Fear by Patrick Rothfuss (Yay! Started reading it today)
    The Distant Hours by Kate Morton (I loved her Forgotten Garden)
    The Cry of the Icemark by Stuart Hill
    Scarlet by A.C. Gaughen
    The Stand by Stephen King (on Aig's recommendation)
    Reckless by Cornelia Funke

Warlord of Mordor
    Update:

The Corps: Call to Arms, WEB Griffin
    Les Miserables, Victor Hugo
    Whiskey Galore, Compton Mackenzie
    Tim Gunn's Fashion Bible, Tim Gunn

...and various crazy tales in Old Irish

Counsellor of Erebor
    I just finished My Cleaner by Maggie Gee. I enjoyed it.

I am now reading The Shining by SK. It is one of his books that I have never read. My son read it and told me that if anyone thinks the book is anything like the movie, they will be totally blown away when they read it. So I am about to find out. I hear SK is coming out with a sequel. Is this old news?
    Last edited by Drifa; 31/Jan/2013 at 05:10 PM.

43. The Shining is one Stephen King book I haven't gotten to yet (I'm reading The Dark Tower : Wizard and Glass, Duma Key,The Dead Zone, and I'm finishing up both The Talisman and Full Dark, No Stars right now) but I really do enjoy the Nicholson film. Yes, Stephen is making a sequel to The Shining. It's going to be called Dr Sleep.

Dr Sleep is about (the
    article is from Wikipedia) : "a now middle-aged Dan Torrance (the boy protagonist of The Shining) and the twelve-year-old girl, Abra Stone, that he must save from The True Knot. The True Knot are a group of almost immortal travelers who cross the country feeding off of children with the gift of "the shining." Dan drifted for decades in an attempt to escape his father's legacy, but eventually settled in a New Hampshire town and works in a nursing home, where his remnant mental abilities provide comfort to the dying. With the aid of a cat that can foresee the future, Dan becomes "Doctor Sleep." After meeting Abra Stone, an epic war between good and evil ensues."

Soundsepic. Whenever I'm done with The Talisman - it should be sometimenext month, I only have seven chapters left - I need to read BlackHouse which is the sequel but whenever I've completed one of theother King works I've named above I'll get The Shining.

Dr Sleep
    will be published September 24th, 2013,
    Amazon says.

I'm really going to like that cat that foresees the future
    !!!
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 31/Jan/2013 at 05:56 PM.

Guardian of Imladris
    I have less than 50 pages left in...

Buddha in the Attic, Julie Otsuka
    The Sable Quean, Brian Jacques *g*
    and Two Towers

But because I'm so close to finishing I don't want to haul them around in my backpack...and I don't have much time read at home so...it will probably still be a few days.

In any case, I stuck the first volume of Sandman in my backpack today. I'm hoping my adoration of Neil Gaiman will overrule my general dislike of graphic novels.

I've also been sitting somewhere in the middle of...

Measure of Magic, Terry Brooks
    Touching My Father's Soul, Jamling Tenzing Norgay
    In the Realm of the Dying Emperor, Norma Field

...for anywhere's from a few months to a full year now. I'll get back to them...
    No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away.

45. I need to read Bearers of the Black Staff and Measure of the Magic.

I have a few chapters left in The Wards of Faerie...that is one of Terry Brooks' best Shannara novels, in my opinion, so I've been quite reluctant to finish it for the last few months but now since The Bloodfire Quest, its sequel, is coming out in March, I should finish that in the next couple of days...

Guardian of Imladris
    That's good to hear about Faerie. I've been kind of irked by everything that's come after the Heritage Trilogy (chronologically), to be honest. But hey, Faerie goes back to the elfstones and yaaaaaaaaaaay elfstones!

47. Oh, yeah, trust me, Wards of Faerie feels like old school Brooks, you'll love it, Linny . Wait....everything after Heritage....you mean, you didn't like the Voyage of the Jerle Shannara trilogy ? . Wow...lol

Elder of Imladris
    Alongside rereading The Hobbit, I'm deep in The Brothers of Gwynedd Quartet by British author Edith Pargeter (who also writes as Ellis Peters). I picked it up quite by chance at a rummage sale, and cannot put it down. It tells the history of medieval Wales in epic and dramatic form, and is a tale not to be missed by lovers of historical fiction.

Spy of Mordor
    Books that I have finished in the last week:
    Pamela, Samuel Richardson
    Shamela, Henry Fielding
    Pawn of Prophecy, David Eddings [re-read]
    Queen of Sorcery, David Eddings [re-read]
    Gwendolyn MacEwen: Volume 1, the Early Years
    Alien Creature: A visitation from Gwendolyn MacEwen, Linda Griffiths [re-read]
    Bearers of the Black Staff, Terry Brooks
    The Measure of the Magic, Terry Brooks (both read while on the bus back from Toronto over the weekend!)

Books currently in progress:
    Evelina, Frances Burney
    Hobbitus Ille [Latin]
    Gwendolyn MacEwen: Volume 2, the Later Years
    Green Suns and Faery, Verlyn Flieger
    Magician's Gambit, David Eddings [re-reading]
    Tales of the Elders of Ireland [translation of Acallam na Senórach, by Ann Dooley & Harry Roe]

Also, not exactly a book, but the Oct. 2012 volume of Speculum, since it just arrived.

Warlord of Mordor
    Alma! I'm currently reading the Acallam in Old Irish! The Dooley & Roe translation is the one I have as well, and it's very good. Far better than anything Jeffery Gantz ever did

New Soul
    Dude, one of my classes is about to study the Acallam as well...in English though, so less legit than you, Moriel.

Warlord of Mordor
    Woohoo!! We can all geek out about it together To be fair most of my degree is based on reading things in OI, so there's totally no stigma on not being able to read it in the original unless you're a weirdo Celticist like me.

New Soul
    Yeah, well I have zero expectations of ever being able to read Old Irish, so settling for the English translation doesn't seem like a bad compromise to me. :D

54. I started reading The Host a few days ago, 91 pages of it.

I'm surprised I'm enjoying the book, enthralled by the story ; it sort of reads like a Ray Bradbury sci-fi novel. There have been instances when I've laid The Host aside, astonished that the author is Stephenie Meyer.

Many critics say that The Host is quite better written than her other books...this is true. In my opinion. Looking forward to the movie adaptation next month !

Drifa, this Stephen King interview about Doctor Sleep and other matters
    HERE appeared in my news feed at Facebook today ; I really enjoyed it and hope you will as well if you read !
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 02/Feb/2013 at 08:46 PM.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Thanks for the info Aig. I will check it out. By the way, you will have to get The Wind Through The Keyhole to complete the Dark Tower saga. I believe it is book 4.5.

New Soul

Nice

Sorry just try
    Gu kibum kelkum-ishi, burzum-ishi, akha-gum-ishi, ashi gurum..

57. I'll definitely read The Wind Through the Keyhole ! 4.5, yes ; I think it's placed between the end of Wizard and Glass and The Wolves of the Calla, yes ? It's about Roland telling his companions about an adventure of his when he was a young gunslinger and there's a story inside of that story *g* ? As soon as I'm done with Wizard and Glass, I'll read Keyhole then go to Wolves.

By the way, Spielberg is making an Under the Dome adaptation which will be on TV this summer, Drifa !
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 03/Feb/2013 at 06:14 AM.

Guardian of Imladris
    *insert Wind Through the Keyhole plug here*

Seriously, that book is amazing.

59. Haha, Quill and I on IM :

Princess says:
    I'll let you know when I start The Stand, should be in the next week
    Steven says:
    :D
    *excited*
    then there will be four Stephen King fans on the Plaza lol, no six
    Right now it's me, Aerlinn, Drifa, Kassiopi, and Daywalker
    Princess says:
    are you responsible for the others too?
    Steven says:
    no
    lol Aerlinn converted me *G

This
    HERE is the teaser trailer for Spielberg's CBS mini-series adaptation of King's Under the Dome ; I expect we'll get better trailers as we approach the summer !

Bah ! They're going to have the director from Paranormal Activity II direct a film adaptation of Cell ! Those movies stink lol, so I hope Cell won't. John Cusack is going to be the lead character though, so. You can read about it
    HERE.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 09/Feb/2013 at 06:23 PM.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Finished reading:
    The Shining-SK
    The Old Man And The Sea-Ernest Hemingway

Guardian of Imladris
    I love Old Man and the Sea, Drifa *g*.

I just finished re-reading American Gods and Two Towers, and I'm in the fourth volume of Sandman (I've been on a Neil Gaiman kick for a couple of months now--found a hardcover copy of Stardust used, yay!). Oh, and I'm finally almost done with Redwall (finished Sable Quean), except now I'm avoiding the last book because once I read it the series will *actually* be over. I'm ridiculous.

Anyways, I'm waiting to get my copy of RoTK back from a friend...so until then I'll probably continue with this Neil Gaiman obsession. I have Fragile Things out from the library and I've been meaning to finish Anansi Boys for at least six months...um, there was something else I was reading. One of the Discworld novels...and I just got A Farewell to Arms but I haven't started it yet.

On another note, has anyone read T. H. White's England Have My Bones?
    Last edited by Aerlinn Mordagnir; 22/Feb/2013 at 09:15 PM.

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    Finished: The Millenium Saga - Stieg Larson
    Reading now: Hiking through History - Kirk Ward Robinson
    Find some more of my photos at: www.LilleUlven.com - and some of the stories of my travels on my new blog: blog.lilleulven.com :)

Master Craftsman of Lindon
    finished-childhoods end by ac clarke
    now-name of the wind by p rothfuss
    obsessive blind guardian fan,
    <br />
    <br />i perpetually yearn for times past and places that never were. that yearning grows heavier in me every day...

Doorwarden of the Mark
    UPDATE

I have made it through page one of The Narv Fan Club.

Oh yeah

The Picture of Dorian Gray (Oscar Wilde) SOOO DEPRESSING!
    The Aeneid
    Beowulf (again)

Assassin of Mordor
    page one's pretty good, but things don't really pick up until the great narv jess president costume debate of page five

you're in for a wild wild ride

Counsellor of Erebor
    Finished reading.. Rant, by Chuck Palahniuk. Quite the read.

67. Finishing Star of the Morning by Lynn Kurland today and will probably start the sequel, The Mage's Daughter. I'll be ordering Terry Brooks' The Bloodfire Quest - part II of his Dark Legacy of Shannara series - and Stardust, my first Neil Gaiman book, today as well.

Ernest Hemingway, Linny, woo !

Beowulf
    !

Guardian of Imladris
    STARDUST! My favorite Neil Gaiman novel and one of my favorite books of all time. If I was stranded on a desert island, etc., etc. it probably wouldn't be the *first* book I'd choose to have with me, but it might be the second.

I just started Pawn of Prophecy, and it's all Alma's fault. I haven't re-read in a while and the names kept popping here so. bah. *g*

69. I'll let you know how much I'm enjoying it as I read on, Linny ! And Sorceress of Darshiva when I pick it up again soon.

I finished Star of the Morning yesterday and began the sequel The Mage's Daughter. Also started How The West Was Won.

Oh, and I've finished The Tempest and am now reading Love's Labour's Lost.

The local grocery store has a few Jack Reacher books so I've started reading that saga, beginning with Echo Burning first.

I have Stardust in my possession, just arrived via UPS ; I'll begin reading that tonight before rest.

I've finished The Dark Legacy of Shannara : The Wards of Faerie today ; I'll start the sequel, The Bloodfire Quest, tonight or tomorrow.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 25/Mar/2013 at 10:17 PM.

70. Wow, a new Stephen King novel will be published in June that I didn't know about ; I thought it was only Doctor Sleep for this September.

The new book, 288 pages (rather short but that's okay. I usually like Stephen's longer novels though) is called Joyland ! It's about a carnival serial killer.

From Amazon :

"A STUNNING NEW NOVEL FROM ONE OF THE BEST-SELLING AUTHORS OF ALL TIME!

Set in a small-town North Carolina amusement park in 1973, Joyland tells the story of the summer in which college student Devin Jones comes to work as a carny and confronts the legacy of a vicious murder, the fate of a dying child, and the ways both will change his life forever.

"I love crime, I love mysteries, and I love ghosts. That combo made Hard Case Crime the perfect venue for this book, which is one of my favorites. I also loved the paperbacks I grew up with as a kid, and for that reason, we’re going to hold off on e-publishing this one for the time being. Joyland will be coming out in paperback, and folks who want to read it will have to buy the actual book." – Stephen King "

The novel was first mentioned in passing in an interview with Stephen King conducted by Neil Gaiman for The Sunday Times in April 2012.

I have Quill as a friend at Goodreads and saw that she's presently reading the fantasy novel Thorn and Jewel, in the Lowmoor saga. Sounds pretty interesting ; I might buy that this month or next, the first book in a trilogy.

Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 20/Mar/2013 at 04:50 AM.

Youth of Mirkwood
    I'm reading Stephen Lawhead's novel Hood. Yeah it's his creative telling of the Robin Hood legend. Loving it so far.

72. I'm intrigued to read that, Iruviel ! Have you read Lady of the Forest by Jennifer Roberson ? It's her creative telling of the story of Robin and Marian. Lady of Sherwood is the sequel I'll read next.

Elder of Imladris
    Oh I loved Hood! I'm about to start the sequel Scarlet soon. And then I'll need to read the final book in the trilogy.

And Lawhead's Pendragon Cycle is excellent too! I loved his take on the Arthurian legend.

That sounds interesting Aig! I've never read that creative retelling. I do love me some creative tellings of old legends and stuffs.

Master Craftsman of Lindon
    Currently reading ROTK, Ringworld and Thus Spake Zarathustra.

Not the easiest trio to.be reading at the same time. I've also got A Movable Feast by E. Hemingway on my immediate to read list. :o
    obsessive blind guardian fan,
    <br />
    <br />i perpetually yearn for times past and places that never were. that yearning grows heavier in me every day...

75. Quote Originally Posted by Drifa View Post
    I have read some interesting books over the last year. * This means I truly liked it.

It (reread), Rose Madder, Cell, Lisey' Story - Stephen King
    The Bell Jar* - Sylvia Plath
    The Underground Man* - Mick Jackson
    Immortals - Tracy Hickman
    Haunted, Survivor *, Invisible Monsters - Chuck Palahniuk
    The Beginning Place, The Lathe Of Heaven, The Word For World Is Forest, Four Ways To Forgiveness, Very Far Away From Anywhere Else - Ursula K Le Guin
    The Grapes Of Wrath, Sweet Thursday, The Pastures Of Heaven, The Winter Of Our Discontent* - John Steinbeck
    A Million Little Pieces - James Frey (I was addicted to this one and read it all in one sitting)
    Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn trilogy (reread), Shadowmarch tetralogy - Tad Williams
    One Hundred Years Of Solitude* - Gabriel García Márquez
    The Green Knight - Iris Murdoch
    Of Human Bondage* - W. Somerset Maugham
    Slaughterhouse-Five - Kurt Vonnegut
    Sons and Lovers, The Virgin and The Gypsy - D. H. Lawrence
    The Manhatten Hunt Club - John Saul
    Odd Thomas - Dean Koontz
    Death Gate Cycle series - Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman

I am now reading Weaveworld - Clive Barker.

So what are you reading?
    what did you think of the bell jar? it made me cry quite a few times...

Gwaihir
    A political book for a course I am doing. Not fun literature in between.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Hi elohteeare! I thought The Bell Jar was very tragic and yes, it made me feel sad. But, I couldn't put it down. I wanted to know Ester. And if there is one thing about the book that disappointed me, it was the fact that, I would never know her or what happened to her. The story is now etched in my memory. I don't think I will ever forget it. I love the way Sylvia Plath wrote.
    I also read Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams not long after The Bell Jar. I like her poetry. It is dark but there is something about it that tugs at my heart. I had never heard of Sylvia Plath. My son introduced me to her work. I am glad he did.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Oh and by the way, has anyone ever read anything by, E. E. Knight?

79. Try it out, Uriphel !

I read Percy Jackson & the Olympians : The Lightning Thief and I'm a few chapters away from finishing its sequel, The Sea of Monsters. Also started reading The Great Gatsby and, finally, Stardust.

I'm going to drag myself back into reading the Star Wars : Fate of the Jedi series today. These books aren't as good as many others
    I have read for nearly 15 years but it has to be done.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 21/Apr/2013 at 06:16 AM.

Apprentice of the Shire
    I've been searching for a Norse mythology book that I'm desperate to reread and have somewhere in my house. (My parents are having the renovations finished off).

81. Oooo, could you share the title when you've found it or before, Morwen ? *Interested*

Apprentice of the Shire
    Quote Originally Posted by Aigronding Mordagnir View Post
    Oooo, could you share the title when you've found it or before, Morwen ? *Interested*
    Sure, Aigronding! I love Norse myths/legends- Sigurd is my favourite. I actually have a story based on Sigurd in Written Arts: http://www.lotrplaza.com/showthread....s-Bane-(draft) which I'd really appreciate some comments on.
    Last edited by Morwen Edhelwen; 23/Apr/2013 at 05:11 AM.

Doorwarden of the Mark
    A Bridge Too Far by Cornelius Ryan

Good stuff - I love Ryan's style.

84. Quote Originally Posted by Drifa View Post
    Hi elohteeare! I thought The Bell Jar was very tragic and yes, it made me feel sad. But, I couldn't put it down. I wanted to know Ester. And if there is one thing about the book that disappointed me, it was the fact that, I would never know her or what happened to her. The story is now etched in my memory. I don't think I will ever forget it. I love the way Sylvia Plath wrote.
    I also read Johnny Panic and the Bible of Dreams not long after The Bell Jar. I like her poetry. It is dark but there is something about it that tugs at my heart. I had never heard of Sylvia Plath. My son introduced me to her work. I am glad he did.
    i feel the same about ester. did you know the book is basically about a breakdown that plath had earlier in life?

Counsellor of Erebor
    Yes, and basically, when I think it, it is her that I really felt sorry for (Sylvia aka Ester) when reading the book. *hugs*

So no one has heard of E.E. Knight?
    Last edited by Drifa; 24/Apr/2013 at 03:39 PM.

86. Quote Originally Posted by Drifa View Post
    Yes, and basically, when I think it, it is her that I really felt sorry for (Sylvia aka Ester) when reading the book. *hugs*

So no one has heard of E.E. Knight?
    only ee cummings...

87. Thank you, Morwen, and I'll be sure to check it out !

I just finished reading Percy Jackson & the Olympians II : The Sea of Monsters ! I'll start reading the third book in the series, The Titan's Curse, today

Page of Ithilien
    Doing some fun reading to go along with the more serious stuff I have to do for work. Making my way through Tamora Pierce's Protector of the Small Quartet again for the umpteenth time.
    Just finished First Test and Page the last two evenings. Now on to Squire for the weekend reading - my favorite of these four Tortall books. Lady Knight is also excellent, but harder to read because it deals with darker issues.

89. So far for Protector of the Small I love Page the most ! I need to get back to reading Squire though.

I like Keladry so much better than Alanna.

90. Terry Brooks fans :

There will be a live interview with the Shannara/Landover/Word & Void author today on GoodReads.

Guardian of Imladris
    Drifa: My mom's been reading Knight. Dragons, right? And maybe something about baby gargoyles...but that may have been someone else. In any case, he's on my list, but I don't know how soon I'll get to him.

New Soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Aigronding Mordagnir View Post

I like Keladry so much better than Alanna.
    Aig, no! Oh no oh no! </3

93. I almost want to retract that statement merely because I just broke your heart, Quill .

New Soul
    Haha, it's okay. I like Kel too, but Alanna is my first and deepest love.

95. I've got this thing about Alanna not SPOILER choosing George until like the very last moment *grumbles* END SPOILER . I like how calmer Keladry is than Alanna and her story about not giving up from the standpoint of one is allowed to participate although most people would have it otherwise is pretty intriguing thus far to me.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 29/Apr/2013 at 08:51 PM.

Historian of Lothlorien
    I am reading A Song of Fire and Ice Saga by George R.R. Martin. I have already read A Game of Thrones and am working on A Clash of Kings.
    Last edited by Princess Gia; 29/Apr/2013 at 10:07 PM.
    Signing off, Princess Gia
    Senior IR Debate DGM | Co-Threadrunner of OOT
    Epic Elf of Wilderland

Page of Ithilien
    I have read all of Pierce's Tortall books that she has written to date, the Song of the Lioness series, Immortals series, Trickster books, Beka Cooper trilogy, Young Warriors, and even skimmed the Tortall short stories one. I like all of her female protagonists, but admit that it is easiest to identify with Kel, since all the rest seem to have some magic of some kind. Kel as a "non-gifted" is thus easier to relate to - something that Pierce actually points out in her books, and particularly in Squire.

98. *High fives* I'm so glad to know a fellow big fan of Kel, Karis !

I need to read The Immortals series - I should have before Protector of the Small but oh, well - and Beka's trilogy and the Trickster books. The Tortall short stories collection is on my list and all the Circle books. I haven't heard of Young Warriors yet. What is that one about ?
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 30/Apr/2013 at 08:05 AM.

New Soul
    Fair enough, Aig. I read Alanna when I was pretty young and she was sort of a role model for me growing up. I wrote one of my college essays about her impact on my life! I like Kel a lot too, but Daine from the Immortals is probably my second favourite, you should definitely read that! I'm not as big a fan of the later stuff, like Trickster and Beka.

100. I like Daine as well from what little of her I've seen so far in Protector of the Small ; I'm definitely going to read The Immortals next since I should have read that series before Kel's Then I'll go on to Beka and Trickster.