Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6
    March Warden of the Shire
    Athelas, I totally enjoyed it. This writer has his own style--he was a crimes journalist himself--and he writes very well. I look forward to a book 5?

Guard of the Mark
    Ankala: Ok, perhaps I'll give it a go after I've read 2 and 3 :)
    Even if you're only a boy you can fight like a girl. ~ EA <X3

finished the Dragonlance book and restarted Joe Haldeman's "The Forever War."

Guard of the Mark
    Given up on 'Foundation' (too confusing and sexist) and 'Girl who Played with Fire' (my tocophobia radar is going off) for now. I've started reading 'North and South' by Elizabeth Gaskell, it's a much easier and friendlier read.

5. What attracted you to reading North & South Athelas​?

Gimli
    I am currently re-reading the Wheel of Time and I am about halfway through "The Fires of Heaven" which is perhaps my second favourite in the series. After I have finished that book I will take a break from the series and start reading "Harry Potter and the Cursed Child" if only to say that I have done it. I have the latest book by Terry Brooks on standby also and I am eagerly anticipating the final novel in Elizabeth Haydon's Symphony of Ages.

Guard of the Mark
    Ta'leus: I bought my copy for a uni course that I didn't complete so I've had it on my bookshelf for a while. I've seen the tv adaptation with Richard Armitage in it (so hot ;)) and enjoyed it so I thought I'd give the book a go.

8. Well I might have to check out the book. I don't know if I can attest to the hotness of Richard in that tv adaptation but I do like him as in actor in everything I've seen him in (except the Hobbit) so I might have to check that out too! Haha.

9. I love Dragonlance, Ankala! It was there for me after Middle-earth and I'm still reading the books! Right now I'm focusing on Dragons of the Highlord Skies and Amber and Blood. The books are still in print but none new are being made anymore?

I love The Wheel of Time, Ta'leus! I'm reading Winter's Heart currently.

I still need to finish the North & South miniseries starring Richard Armitage but I love the North & South miniseries based off John Jakes' Civil War-centered books.

I've completed Forever Odd and now I'm reading Brother Odd. Making my way through The Legend of Drizzt: Sojourn again and have started reading the horrible script which is Harry Potter & the Cursed Child.
    Last edited by Beren Camlost; 08/Aug/2016 at 01:41 PM.
    "How long do you want it to be?" - Steven C.
    "As long as it needs to be." - Aimmi G.

Gandalf
    I'm currently reading ASOIAF because most people say that things happen differently in the books when compared to the TV show and I got curious. I'm still in the earlier chapters of the first book of the series.

yeah, Beren, the Dragonlances have been interesting!
    I had never read any of this series before. As it is, I picked up 3 at second hand stores, so the story bounced forward in time (ha) but I would pick up some of the others at some point.

I am about 1/3 through Haldeman's The Forever War. Almost finished Half Earth by Wilson(?).
    Last edited by Ankala Teaweed; 09/Aug/2016 at 02:35 AM.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Some of my summer reads...

Finished ASOIAF, by George R.R. Martin. Waiting patiently for, The Winds of Winter. *sends out good vibes to Mr. Martin and hopes he continues writing*

It’s unclear when Martin will finish “The Winds of Winter,” but he assured his fans that he’ll keep at it. “Meanwhile, I’ll keep writing. Chapter at a time. Page at a time. Word at a time,” he wrote. “That’s all I know how to do.”

Knight Of The Seven Kingdoms, by George R.R. Martin. Loved Dunk!!

Refreshed my memory and reread all 3 Abarat's, by Clive Barker, in anticipation of volumes 4 and 5.*grin*

Beautiful You, by Chuck Palahniuk

Servant Of The Bones, by Ann Rice

I am currently reading Damned, by Chuck Palahniuk.

The first, Odd Thomas, wasn't bad. The next one got to much into the mystery genre for my liking. Glad you are enjoying them, Aig!!

Love is a big word like ocean, mountain, sky...

Expendable of Mordor
    I just finished A Game of Thrones. I don't know what the next one is called but my friend is supposed to lend it to me in two days and I'm thinking about asking him if I can just get it tomorrow.

Guard of the Mark
    I'm still reading 'North and South', I'm halfway through. I started reading 'The Silmarillion' for book club, I'm a third of the way through. And after those two books I'll either read 'A Dance with Dragons: Part 2' or 'The Moonstone' by Wilkie Collins that I bought the other day. I just finished listening to an audiobook of 'Anne of Green Gables' and am now listening to 'Fangirl' (my fav novel atm); after that I will listen to 'Avalon High'.

Guard of the Mark
    Just finished 'North and South' this morning. I also finished 'The Sil'. Now I'm reading Aduchil's 'The Eagle's Flight' and 'Beowulf'. Also reading some non-fiction soon; I've chosen Helen Mirren's autobiography 'In the Frame'; she's a strong, inspirational woman, I need female role models such as her in my life seeing that I lack them. Yesterday I read some Anglo-Saxon poems. Still listening to 'Fangirl'.
    Last edited by Athelas_H; 14/Sep/2016 at 06:15 AM.

16. How goes your Dragonlance reading by now, Ankala? I'd like to recommend The Kingpriest Trilogy by Chris Pierson for you. That Dragonlance trilogy takes place in the far past of Kyrnn, chroncling the rise and fall of the Kingpriest and the subsequent Cataclysm which is mentioned so often in DL novels.

Drifa, I've finished both Brother Odd and Odd Hours (Odd's heart went to a dark place at the end of that book!) recently. I've started reading Odd Interlude yesterday.

Athelas, do you mean John Jakes' North & South Trilogy or do you mean Elizabeth Gaskell's North & South novel?
    "How long do you want it to be?" - Steven C.
    "As long as it needs to be." - Aimmi G.

Guard of the Mark
    Beren: I mean Gaskell's novel. I enjoyed it but prob won't read it again so I'm going to lend it to a friend.

18. Currently I'm rereading through the Harry Potter series. I just finished The Goblet of Fire tonight and I'm gonna start of The Order of the Phoenix once I finish up my rounds of posting. So...hours from now...haha.

another Dragonlance book, this time The Second Generation by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hicks. Fun Stuff.

also, "Men Explain Things to Me" by Rebecca Solnit. Short essay, funny and hard hitting at the same time.

Varda
    I recently joined the Book of the Month Club in an effort to read more new books and more consistently. I gave a subscription to my mom for her birthday as a way for us to stay connected now that I'm living farther from her than I have in years.

The book we chose this month was Behold the Dreamers by Imbolo Mbue. It was very engaging and readable and dealt with highly relevant issues in today's world from a perspective we don't often hear. I highly recommend it!

Guard of the Mark
    This week I read 'Brave New World' (one of my fav novels) and 'Brave New World Revisited' for book club. Just about finished Helen Mirren's autobio. And reading some Shakespeare because with 'BNW' and Mirren's autobio I've been reading a lot about Shakespeare so am keen to dive in and enjoy the Bard; I'm starting with 'The First Part of Henry the Sixth'.

Guard of the Mark
    I've now finished Mirren's autobiography and I also read 'The Moonstone' by Wilkie Collins; I greatly enjoyed both of them. I also finished 'Henry the Sixth' and am now reading 'The Taming of the Shrew'. Started reading 'Les Mis' yesterday; it's slow but I think by the time I'm finished I will have greatly enjoyed it. I'm waiting on two books I bought online: Mary Renault's bio and 'TH' First Facsimile Ed; I'll read them in the near future.

Forester of Ithilien
    I'm currently reading a Clive Cussler novel called The Solomon Curse. What happened to King Loc's palace on Guadalcanal sounds quite similar to what happened to Numenor in Middle-earth (though the gods didn't sink the entire island, just the islets in the bay that the palace was built on). Punished by the gods for arrogance and weath? Sound familiar? Since I love sea tales, I've read quite a few Clive Cussler novels, including The Navigator, Blue Gold, The Skeleton Coast and a few others that I can't remember the names of at the moment.

All good things are wild and free. - Henry David Thoreau

R.A. Salvatore The Two Swords
    Virginia Woolf A Room of Her Own
    Steven Erikson Gardens of the Moon: book one of the Malazan book of the fallen

Knight of the Mark
    I'm really enjoying George R.R. Martin's series Game of Thrones. I'm currently on the second book, A Clash of Kings. Well written and incredible story line.

Guard of the Mark
    I'm glad you're enjoying it Valanna, it's one of my fav fantasy series. I'm still reading 'Les Mis', just over 3/5ths of the way through. And on Friday I read 'Nimona' a comic book by Noelle Stevenson, it was a good story and I love her drawing style.

Guard of the Mark
    I finished 'Les Mis' a couple of weeks ago. Then I read Mary Renault's biography; it was a good read. Now I'm reading 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' also by Victor Hugo (the author of 'Les Mis'); I should really read something a little lighter considering that I only just finished 'Les Mis'.

Guard of the Mark
    I've read so much over the past few weeks that it's a blur. I finished 'The Hunchback of Notre Dame' but I'm not sure if it's the kind of book I'd read again. Then I read H. Rider Haggard's 'King Solomon's Mines', half of 'Njal's Saga', then 'Obernewtyn' book 1, 'Throne of Glass' book 1, and then 'Crown of Midnight' (2nd 'ToG' novel). I'm currently reading 'The Farseekers' (2nd 'Obernewtyn' novel) and 'Surprised by Joy' by C.S. Lewis.

Counsellor of Erebor
    I finished reading Damned, by Chuck Palahniuk. So so....

I read Lavinia, by Ursula K. Le Guin. I really enjoyed this book.

The last couple of months off and on I have been reading, Martin Chuzzlewit,by Charles Dickens - ' Ecod'! What a book I have just read and finished! It had sentences that required me to look up every second word in the dictionary. But for the most part it was quite a delightful read and I am glad I read it.

Love is a big word like ocean, mountain, sky...

Counsellor of Imladris
    Athelas - I was interested to read what you thought of North and South. I've read it but I must admit, I prefer the TV adaptation. Gaskell admitted that she was forced to rush the ending and didn't get to include a lot more that she wanted to (like trying to help Frederick). So the TV series added some more into the story, such as the visit to the Great Exhibition. Also I felt the TV series made Margaret a lot less unlikable than she came across in the book.

I recently finished re-reading For The Term Of His Natural Life by Marcus Clarke. It's actually my favourite book (sorry Tolkien) but it's one hell of a commitment to read so I've only read it twice. I love the strong element of coincidence that follows all the characters.

Now I'm onto Jonathon Strange and Mr Norrell by Susanna Clarke.

Guard of the Mark
    Laitaine: on N and S, I enjoyed it but prob wouldn't read it again as I wrote above. I agree with you about the tv show being better even if the reason is because it has Richard Armitage in it *blushes*.

Lúthien
    Remembering halfir by learning more each day

Death comes to all
    But great achievements raise a monument
    Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
    George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'

Guard of the Mark
    I've given up on 'the Farseekers' and have finished 'Surprised by Joy'. I'm now reading 'Heir of Fire' by Sarah J. Maas.

Lúthien
    Now reading 'The glass key' by Dashiell Hammett

Death comes to all

Guard of the Mark
    Just finished yesterday 'Heir of Fire' ('Throne of Glass' book 3) and am now reading 'Deadly Unna?' by Aussie author Phillip Gwynne. Waiting for the alliterative 'Morte Arthure' and Carpenter's 'The Inklings' to come in the mail.

Guard of the Mark
    Given up on 'Deadly, Unna?' It's a racist piece of refuse; you never kill off the black guy, that's wrong. Now I'm reading Carpenter's 'The Inklings' and 'Queen of Shadows' ('Throne of Glass' book4).

Guardian of Imladris
    *knock knock* Oh *coughcough* hello there! I appear to have stumbled into an old haunt, is anyone familiar left around?

Um, long time no see, huh? I was reading through some old half-finished things on my computer and stumbled across a couple of Plaza folders...thought I'd poke my head in, you know the drill. Not sure I have the time available right now to say "I'm back!" per se, but I would like to brush off my writing chops so we'll see.

Anyways, for this purpose of this thread...90% of my access to books in English right now consists of a few small shelves at a branch of the prefectural library in Okinawa, Japan, of all places. It's been a mixed blessing...always good to expose yourself to new things but sometimes new things can be all manner of tedious. But I've been reading a since the New Year (Happy New Year!!) in spite of it. A recap--

The River Ki, Sawako Ariyoshi - my degree claims that I was a Japanese literature major, but to be entirely honest I'm not sure I *like* Japanese literature enough to want to claim the degree. I can appreciate it, but there was never a work I really fell in love with (excluding folktale-ish things). Still, I try once in a while. And considering my current location, half of what's available is Japanese lit in translation.

Pinnochio
    ! - The book, not the Disney movie. Fun, quick, but was probably a better presented in its original serialization than as a novel.

As I Lay Dying, Faulkner - Ha! Doesn't that look pretentious. I've never actually read Faulkner before. I moved states between middle school and high school and so missed some of the standard stuff everyone reads in school. I'll get to it all eventually. Anyways, I...was not a great fan. Oh, well.

The Tie That Binds, Kent Haruf - It was a book. Not a bad book. Not an amazing book. I wanted to know what happened next, bu it didn't leave much of a lasting impression.

Currently on the The Neverending Story! Never even seen the movie.

Athelas
    --I read Hunchback and King Solomon's Mine together a couple years ago. Loved loved loved Hunchback, Solomon was fun at the time but I can't say I remember much of it besides "Oh, I read that book!" What did you think of Surprised by Joy?

(Sorry for the novel, a bit of insomnia at work here.)
    No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away.

Lúthien
    Am re-reading Robert Tressell's 'The Ragged-Trousered Philanthropists.'

Death comes to all

Guard of the Mark
    Aerlinn: I liked Surprised by Joy but expected more, eg no mention of Christianity and myth discussion with Tolkien and Dyson. But I enjoyed it for what it is; it was a powerful testimony, the best I've read in ages.

Now reading Childhood's End by Arthur C Clarke for book club. Got two books on hold at the library: The Wide Window by Lemony Snicket and First Rider's Call by Kristen Britain.

Off Armageddon Reef by David Weber
    formerly
    Elite Hyandaner Ann Kalagon, awarded the Order of Ecthelion

Apprentice of Dol Amroth
    Just finishing up the Vikings trilogy of books by Tim Severin.

The Accursed Kings series by Maurice Druon is next!
    “For if joyful is the fountain that rises in the sun, its springs are in the wells of sorrow unfathomable at the foundations of the Earth.”

Lúthien
    'Novels and stories by Anthony Trollope', a selection published in one volume in 1946. Very much enjoying my re-read of Barchester Towers. Next will be a re-read of The Epic of Gilgamesh.

Death comes to all

Guard of the Mark
    Given up on 'First Rider's Call'; I hated the world building, it felt fake and unrealistic. Finished 'The Wide Window' yesterday; now I know why I stopped reading the series; Snicket is such an annoying narrator, he keeps giving definitions of words as if the reader is dumb (I guess it is a children's book so they might not know certain words) and saying things like 'if you don't like depressing stories then you should put this book down now'. Now I'm reading 'Empire of Storms' ('Throne of Glass' book 5) and still on Carpenter's 'The Inklings'. Looking forward to reading some Virginia Woolf soon and may do a full read through of Gilbert and Gubar's 'Madwoman in the Attic' for my new feminism blog.

I wrapped up "Off Armageddon Reef" by David Weber. It was a fun read, though I was not turned on to seek out more Weber.

I also finally finished Gary Kamiya's "49 Views of San Francisco" which was outstanding and just chock full of local history. I would pick up anything by Kamiya.

I am over 3/4 through Carrie Fisher's "The Princess Diarist." Ah, she was so young, 19, when those events played out. Harrison Ford was so much older (like 33? to her 19); he should not have taken advantage of her. It was wrong of him.

And I am reading the Lord of the Rings to my nieces and nephew over the phone on weekends. We are up to "Flight to the Ford." Overall I think this is my 43rd reading of LotR. I noted 3 new things in last night's read that I had not previously pondered. :)
    Last edited by Ankala Teaweed; 20/Feb/2017 at 10:32 PM.

Guard of the Mark
    I'm reading some non-fic: 'Culloden' by John Prebble and still going on with 'The Inklings'. Started Woolf's 'Orlando' and after that will read 'Mrs Dalloway' and 'Childhood's End'.

Wanderer of the Lone Lands
    Farewell My Lovely by Raymond Chandler
    Annalist, Physician, & Historian
    of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
    The Free Company of Arnor

Counsellor of Elrond
    Yesterday I was sitting outside and I discovered a book that I had bought a couple of years ago and completely forgotten about. I keep a little set of "book shelves" (actually two cardboard boxes turned sideways with a towel over) outside on our patio and was delighted to find a "new" book to read: J.R.R. Tolkien: The Making of a Legend by Colin Duriez. I'm only on chapter two, but enjoying it already. It's a good excuse to force me to sit outside to read, and the light is better outside.

Edit by Findy. March 17, 2017. Here's my table outside with reading paraphernalia: water, incense, coffee, hand lotion, glasses and of course, the book. I'm about halfway through it now and really enjoying Colin Duriez' writing style as he takes the reader through JRRT's life and writing progression.

Last edited by Finduilas Faelivrin; 19/Mar/2017 at 07:23 PM.
    asëa aranion / kingsfoil / athelas
    Come athelas! Come athelas! Life to the dying, in the king's hand lying!

I read 2 non-fictions written by a leading women's studies professor: Sally Roesch Wagner's "Sisters in Spirit" and "She Who Holds the Sky" both of which are about the early feminist movement on-the-ground in upstate New York and the inspirations of meeting women from the matriarchal Haudenosaunee nations.

I am currently reading James S.A. Corey's "Caliban's War" which is the second book in The Expanse series, now a TV show in its stunning second season. The Expanse is far and away the best science fiction on TV, and I say this as a devoted fan of Orphan Black!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Finduilas Faelivrin View Post

It's a good excuse to force me to sit outside to read, and the light is better outside.

Here's my table outside with reading paraphernalia: water, incense, coffee, hand lotion, glasses and of course, the book. I'm about halfway through it now and really enjoying Colin Duriez' writing style as he takes the reader through JRRT's life and writing progression.

Sweet! sitting under a tree in the desert, with a book, is literally my idea of total relaxation.

xxxx.
    Last edited by Ankala Teaweed; 12/Apr/2017 at 06:08 AM.

Counsellor of Elrond
    Thanks, Anakala. Here's something interesting. This is a coffee-table book that has been part of my shelf since I was a child. When I was growing up, the 1961 first edition was the book I could most likely be found with my nose in while sprawled out on the living room floor.

About 20 years ago I told my mom how much I loved that book (which she still had on her shelf), so she went and bought me the 1982 edition. The forward is by John F. Kennedy. Many photos you might see depicting Native Americans can be found in this book and I was fascinated by these. I now read it with more enlightened eyes after learning how they were treated by our forefathers. I had never thought (as a child) that the few drawings of the natives being tortured depicted actual events. There are mostly beautiful photos, drawings and paintings though.

Last edited by Finduilas Faelivrin; 12/Apr/2017 at 03:59 PM.

Lúthien
    The Making of the Oxford English Dictionary by Peter Gilliver, who is also one of the authors of The Ring of Words: Tolkien and the Oxford English Dictionary.

Death comes to all

Counsellor of Elrond
    Saranna, you have mentioned a couple of books that I'd like to add to my list of must-reads. I thought I might have an Oxford English dictionary from when we lived in Scotland, but it turns out it's just the Oxford Popular School Dictionary (one of our daughters' for school there). I'm still reading the book I mentioned above by Colin Duriez, where he mentions the W's that JRRT wrote for the OED. It's all fascinating!

Lúthien

Death comes to all

Nienna
    I have just finished Garth Nix's 'Frogkisser' which is a sweet take on princess and the frog. I have some beauty and the beast movie tie in editions which I have been reading but I am also halfway through The Book Thief and A Game of Thrones (amongst others).
    “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Counsellor of Elrond
    Beliewen, I enjoyed The Book Thief on film, but haven't read the book. I am still working on A Dance with Dragons (ASOIAF), but this one, unlike the others, is slow-going because it takes ages for much of anything to move the stories forward. Still, I enjoy GRRM's style of writing. I finally finished the Colin Duriez book about Tolkien, which I enjoyed immensely. I usually have several books going at once, and leave them around to pick up as I feel the urge.

My daughter picked this up for me at the San Francisco Science Museum a while back, so I think today's outside reading will be this one. It explains (in an entertaining way) many of the physics/biology/scientific discussions on the show, as well as reasons why everything they're saying and/or writing on the white boards is authentic and checked by experts.

Nienna
    Finduilas - I have been reading game of thrones for 5 years (other books and an MSc got in the way), the book thief for 1.5 years. I have a tendency to begin many books at once, which is a shame as I never end up finishing most of them.

I am saving the name of that big bang theory book for the mister's next special occasion :D
    “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Counsellor of Elrond
    Beliowen, we are a lot alike in that respect. I have so many books that I've started and haven't finished - but still enjoying. I've also been reading Game of Thrones for many years, since I was talking to my MT co-ruler, Jevesh/Arteris way back when when he suggested them to me. I gobbled up the first five volumes one after the other and then by the time I ADwD was published, I'd kinda lost my mojo (though I do still pick it up and read a chapter or two once in a while). Getting new glasses has also helped.

I just came across another book I'd started awhile back. If you've ever seen the film Julie and Julia, you'll know that the narration throughout the movie is excerpts of letters between Julia Child and her pen pal, Avis, and Julie's blog about cooking through Julia's French Chef cookbook in a year. I was fascinated that these were kept all these years, so I bought this book. It's fun to read and interesting if you like cooking. I've seen the film countless times now - one of my favorites.

I am not sure but I might have the older edition of that atlas, Findy. As far as atlases of Native Americans/Indigenous peoples of the western hemisphere go, the "500 Nations" one was very good. In general, they are good for the artwork, content varies and is often lightweight. Stolen Continents is an interesting book--it covers five great nations of the two continents, before and after colonization/theft of the lands (Maya, Inca, Aztec, Cherokee and Haudenosaunee (Iroquois) I believe they are). A lot of material made available by scientists, which actually verifies oral traditions of the nations. The Maya and Aztecs/Nahuatl created books called codices, almost all of which were burned by the Spanish conquistadores out of fearful superstition. The Inca kept records by weaving strings, there were whole warehouses of records the Spanish just burned down. There are some people attempting to "break the code" to interpret them, but so little of it remains it is a hard task.

I continued on with the Expanse series and just BINGE READ through the six books and so far four of the five novellas (into #5 now). The authors have now signed contract for 3 more books! but I am caught up and it is time to read some nonfiction.

I am now into Roxanne Dunbar Ortiz' "Indigenous Peoples History of the United States" and she is SO great! It is such a relief to read this history with Native people in front and centered, rather than erased. I recommend it very highly to all students of history, and especially to all students of Color.
    Last edited by Ankala Teaweed; 24/May/2017 at 02:49 AM.

Novice of Isengard
    I'm currently feeding both my nerdy data-analysis side and my lover of soccer/futbol side by reading "Soccernomics." It's a data analysis approach to every facet of Soccer. Think "Moneyball" for soccer. It's really interesting to me!