Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    New Soul

Goldberry's Many Faces

The third in supposedly a four part series on Goldberry, where Ms. Seth provides a reason why so many people see different aspects to her. It appears somewhat plausible – especially as there is some textual back-up.

https://priyasethtolkienfan.wordpres...rs-bombadil-2/

New Soul
    The fourth essay on Ms. Seth's seriesabout Goldberry is now released.

https://priyasethtolkienfan.wordpres...17/01/16/3579/

There are some interesting matters which might shed new light on The Lord of the Rings. In particular her basic belief is that Tolkien meshed his mythology into our world's legends. In doing so he included the 'elementals' described by the 16th century alchemist Paracelsus. To provide substance to her theory – she quotes Tolkien's knowledge of them and him.

There's lots of information out thereon the Internet about Paracelsus' writings and his belief in spirits inhabiting the non-biological four building blocks of the world from Greek myth – earth, air, fire and water. In any case she proposes the stones of Hollin were an obvious example of Tolkien's inclusion of Paracelsian elementals – as were Trolls.

To my knowledge, I haven't seen this proposed before – either on the Plaza or by the 'experts'. It seems that the core evidence is a Tolkien letter about Trolls which ties in with medieval mythology that elementals possess no souls. This in turn links back to Goldberry by the way of the once wildly popular tale of Undine – a water elemental who attained a soul by marriage(which she already covered in Part II),

The evidence is scant – but there again there really isn't much written on Goldberry. I think Ms. Seth kept her promise in her Introduction at the beginning of the four part series. Certainly she has looked at Goldberry in a completely different manner to others. Her suggestions appear quite plausible –but I'm sure some will be left scratching their heads.

Tulkas
    Balfrog - Instead of linking and mentioning those articles to already existing threads, especially to AL, maybe you could open Ms Seth thread is basic-lore for discussion. That way it could earn it's place in AL.