Page 37 of 37 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37
Results 3,601 to 3,686 of 3686
    Lúthien
    Well my fellow followers of the light, I keep coming in here because I know I will find people who feel as I do - still rather dazed and very aware of a large gap in life. I want to share something with you and I hope you'll approve.

My dear Mr. Saranna has arranged for me to have a car of my own, as my mobility is not good and we live in a village with no public transport. ThiswayIwon't be trapped when he needs to use our main car.
    What has this to do with halfir? Well, firstly he would have approved and been interested in my news. Secondly, we are the kind of people that name our cars () and so I have named this one before it even arrives.
    I have named it Gransby.
    Because it's a Smart Car.
    This is meant as a sincere tribute and I hope it will make you smile.
    Remembering halfir by learning more each day

Death comes to all
    But great achievements raise a monument
    Which shall endure until the sun grows cold.
    George Fabricius, 'In Praise of Georgius Agricola'

Hugo Bracegirdle
    I think that's -- perfect!

Following your excellent example I think I shall call that part of the library which houses the 'special' section, the Gransby Wing. Yes, I like that.

And now, Saranna - I have a Quest for you. Get yourself and Gransby up to geordie Towers as quick as you like, so's I can take you on a tour of the library. Tea is at four, but you and Gransby would be most welcome at any time.

Edited by: geordie
    It's all in the books...

Old Took
    <DIV =WebWizRTE leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1">
    The incarnate mind, the tongue and the tale are in our world coeval.

Old Took

<DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">LotR's current sig sums it up:
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">
    <TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 align=center ="tableBorder"><T>
    <T>
    <TR ="msgOddTableRow">
    <TD colSpan=2 ="msgLineDevider">
    <DIV ="msgSignature">
    <CENTER></CENTER></TD></TR>
    <TR ="postSeparatorTableRow"></TR></T></T></TABLE>
    <DIV marginheight="1" marginwidth="1" topmargin="1" leftmargin="1" ="WebWizRTE">
    <TABLE style="TABLE-LAYOUT: fixed" border=0 cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 align=center ="tableBorder"><T>
    <T>
    <TR ="msgOddTableRow">
    <TD colSpan=2 ="msgLineDevider">
    <DIV ="msgSignature">
    <CENTER>It is hard indeed to believe that one of so great wisdom, and of power—for many wonderful things he did among us—could perish, and so much lore be taken from the world.
    -Faramir, TLotR IV.5
    </CENTER></TD></TR>
    <TR ="postSeparatorTableRow"></TR></T></T></TABLE>Edited by: Dorwiniondil

Winemaker of Lothlorien

I. the laziest Herald, have returned to the hallowed halls of halfir.

"'Hark', the Herald Túrin sings, 'Lore be here that halfir brings'!"

Lúthien
    Glad you like the idea guys. geordie, I know I keep saying I haven't got time yet, but one day I'll just drive up there, I promise! meanwhile it's trains to and from Oxonmoot this year with three changes on the way home! (Car won't arrive in time)

Dorwiniondil yes indeed.
    Turin, glad you are here, we can keep the halls bright with halfir's memory

Death comes to all

March Warden of the Shire
    Hey All, I have proposed, in the "All Please" thread, a Shrine to halfir in the form of a tribute page on the Plaza.
    Please read my proposal and give support.

It's the thing to do. We owe our friend and mentor a shrine. And if it serves to bring in new members from the exposure during the new films to come, he would be delighted I am sure.

Lúthien
    Hi Ankala, I have been over there and have to say I tend to agree with Lanthy on this one - we are already building a lasting tribute, and it may not help to duplicate that. I think one of the reasons I am keen to keep this thread going is that it demonstrates ourcommitmentto keeping the halfirian light alive, even thoughDavidis gone. Here we can share our feelings in a more informal way, while the Tribute thread grows and evolves into a lasting memorial.

You may notice that my new signature tends to agree with Lanthy, too!

Death comes to all

Bard of Mirkwood
    Aye Saranna, this be the place for me to bask in his ever-correct rays of Lore-light and chew the rag with a few friends.

Lúthien
    Yes - there's Remembrance - formal - and remembering, which is more personal I think. Either way the light still shines and we can work by it!

Death comes to all

Well, Saranna, I had not read Lanthy's small print about producing "a funeral book" when I posted my suggestion. Therefore, that thread, as stated, is a more formal, and it seems to me, sort of a final remembrance.

With all due respect to Lanthy, people do have different ways of honoring the dear departed based on their cultural backgrounds.

The idea of a shrine is very prevalent in many cultures around the world. It is more informal, you could say.
    It is also more celebratory of one's life and the esteem and love one holds for the departed, and a way of keeping their memory alive visually and emotionally. Very often one sees shrines in the homes in certain communities (without going into the interesting lore of the demographics).

But I can accept that this thread can be OUR shrine to our friend and mentor, halfir. He has been so major a presence in our Plaza lives; it is only right we keep the lights burning.

Lúthien
    We'll do that together, Ankala - he will not be forgotten and his name will be honoured here.

I'm off to The return of the ringtomorrow, friends, so will see you here again next week,unlessof course I seeyouthere!

Death comes to all

Winemaker of Lothlorien

Has.....has halfir left us??

Lúthien
    Oh Turin, yes - I'm so sorry - look here

http://www.lotrplaza.com/forum/forum...ID=27&amp;PR=3

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Let's keep meeting in here,friends, and keep that light ablaze.

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    I promised to share with you extracts from some of the many emails I was privileged to have from halfir - here's a charming story, showing his ability to laugh athimself. It made me smile to re-read it!

Domestically I have had a personal saga that has made me the gentle butt of the village's humor. Some two years ago- after very heavy rains and flooding - I found a small multi-coloured snake in my kitchen. Being totally averse to snakes of any sort I fled from the house. The guy who cleans my fish tanks was arriving at the time I was exiting and on learning of my predicament went into the kitchen and killed the snake. Both he and my next door neighbour said it was as venemous as a cobra- and while it would not have attacked me- if had accidentally stepped on it I would have had a major problem.Move on two years. Two-days ago I came down for breakfast and saw another- longer- plain coloured snake in the kitchen. I fled shouting for the security guards , the police, and anyone else I could think of. My maid- arriving as I fled shouting asked what was the matter and I told her. She is a country girl with no fear of snakes. She went into the kitchen, but the snake wriggled into a crack in the wall. She squirted some mosquito-killer into the crack- the snake came out and promptly died!It was a harmless grass snake.I felt such a fool and so guilty that I had caused its death. Within seconds the whole village knew what had happened as as I went about my business that day everyone and his wife stopped and joked with me about my 'dangerous snake'. The children were particulalrly mean claiming I had been frightened by a garden worm!So, such is the varied life I lead here!

Death comes to all

Old Took

Yes. that's halfir! Delightful!

Lúthien
    I had a bit of a pang reading another email, though; one of those he would send out now and then threatening his resignation from the Plaza - I replied 'I can't imagine the Plaza with ahalfir-shaped hole in it.' How right I was.

Death comes to all

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    You were terribly right, Saranna.

When I took my break from plaza a couple of years ago I thought it would be a beak of no more than possibly 6 month and even that would have been way too long. And I told halfir why I thought I had to leave (asking him to keep it secret keep it safe and he did) and he offered me that I could always drop a line to him if I felt writing would help me. Which of course I did. He also told me in one of his answers that the plaza would be awaiting me when ever I felt ready for it. My instant thought was "but you won't" - not because I felt that he would not want me back, I knew he would, but it just was one of those seconds which now unfortunately became true - I did not make it back in time and that will hunt me for some time to come.At some point he answered my mails telling me who had asked him if he knew where I had gone to and why. Thanks to all those who asked, even though it was not a strong enough wish to get me entirely back at least I knew then that I would be welcomed back when ever I could make it back.

Old Took
    Earlier this year halfir was twisting my arm to provide something for the Scholars' Forum. I wish he was still trying to get me to do something - and I still may ...

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    Write a special piece for the Scholars Forum then, Dorwiniiondil and dedicate it to the founder of that particular Forum and a great Scholar as well

What better way to remember the pain of your twisted arm and the man who wished your work to be part of the Scholars' Forum? Not to mention a little bit more of the halfirian light of knowledge would be spread across the plaza once more.

Lúthien

I second that, Dorwiniondil - everyone keeps asking what we can do in his memory, and this you could do so well. Your paper at Loughborough would write up beautifully, unless you have a new idea. I remember the 'great minds think alike' moment halfir and I had regarding the Scholars Forum; I had just completed Upon the world-tree, and wondered if I was being very cheeky even suggesting it to him.. ..his reply wasbubblingwith delight, as it had become animportantdream of his to get Plaza members to contribute there. So please do, hewillknow and be glad.

Edited by: Saranna

Death comes to all

I lost most of his emails to me when I lost my job last year. They were all parked in the work email. sigh

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    Ankala Teaweed that must feel almost like loosing halfir twice and I am sorry to hear that this is what happened to you.Just a little trick for the future: if you sort personal mails into a special folder, you can than archive that particular folder into 1 file. (For example an archive-file in Outlook.) The file itself should not be too large even if it contains quite a lot of emails - as they are compressed - and especially Outlook archives can be read and restored into mails by most mail programs I know - so you could then copy that archive file once in a while and take it home with you (or send it to your private mailaddress).And just for comfort: after immigrating my computer broke down and the backup I remembered I had taken was lost during immigration... so some data loss there for me as well... so I know the feeling a bit.

Hugo Bracegirdle
    Dorwiniondil - yes, please do an article; that would be a great contribution.

It's all in the books...

wiedbkes, so true so true. And thanks for that. I was on the computer all the time but I was doing hard (batch composition) coding for typesetting, and html. Therefore I just don't know some of the more known tricks. Like social media. :(
    The Plaza IS my only social media.

Dor, yes!

And to all of you, didn't halfir encourage each of us in some way to contribute more?

Lúthien
    I always save in folders emails from people important to me, it's the Librarian's instinct I suppose. In the future, if you have important things in your work email, always forward them to your personal one, don't rely on the work folders at all. Same with documents, I have a separate email address to whichIregularly send my documents but don't use for anything else - it provides a virtual backup. I'm so sorry those are lost, Ankala, mine are something of a comfort to me to say the least.

Death comes to all

Right you are, Saranna.Yeah, he sent me a few about that annual festival of soaking everyone down. That and the usual prompting to go see various Lore threads. And a few other things, discussions of words. . .

Lúthien
    Hi again everyone; just to let you know that my little Smart Car has arrivedearlierthis week, and we have as promised named him Gransby. He has a whole 136 miles on the Odometer already! Very nice little car but for long journeys I shall be swapping with Mr.Sarannaas his will be more comfy!

Death comes to all

Old Took
    <DIV =WebWizRTE leftmargin="1" topmargin="1" marginheight="1" marginwidth="1">

Hugo Bracegirdle
    Please bring some photos of Gransby.

It's all in the books...

Lúthien
    No time left shall have to send you one later! Off to finish packing now.................

Death comes to all

Winemaker of Lothlorien
    Since halfir has left us, is it wrong for me to still carry his name in my signature??

Lúthien
    Well, no, I have him in mine! You might perhaps change the tense? Althougheven that may not be necessary, since his example still brings Lore to us.

Death comes to all

Old Took
    I'm with Saranna. Keep it!

Lúthien
    thanks D!

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Still trawling my emails fromDavid- this piece of news is part of one he sent in 2010, march. It shows that sometimes,maybe, a little bout of irritation on the Plaza might have been maskingsomethingdevastating. And also shows his instinctivereactionto help friends in trouble.
    I'm well but psychologically somewhat devastated. A coach crash decimated<br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.600000381469727px; line-height: normal; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">some members of three generations of family friends of mine and a close chum<br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.600000381469727px; line-height: normal; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">has just been diagnosed with cerebral toxoplasmosis and given a year to live-<br style="font-family: arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: 13.600000381469727px; line-height: normal; : rgb255, 255, 255; ">most of it wheel chair bound, so supporting others has somewhat drained me!
    Somewhat drained me, indeed.

Death comes to all

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    I am with Dorwiniondil keep those nice signatures. Túrin_Turambar you do not need to change the tense of your signature as there will always be someone who has not yet been able to read all of halfir's lore-posts so they will still educate people years from now

Lúthien
    absolutely!

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    I'll be away from Virtuality until next month, celebrating our Silver Wedding. Thought I would leave you this piece from an email halfir headed Sorrow - it won't cheer you perhaps but it will give you an insight into our own lost friend.

I am addressing this to youall as I would like to share it with individuals whom, although we have never met, I consider to be close and dear friends.I am writing this with tears streaming down my face, and I am not ashamed to say so. As Gandalf said:I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evilI am weeping for the life that has been lost but also for the joy that young 20 year-old life gave us while it was alive. Gentle , kind-hearted, beautiful in mind and body, a friendly, loving and loveable lad, choked off at the very beginning of his young adulthood by the carelessness of a hit-and -run driver. What is unforgiveable is not the accident- although that is bad enough, but the unwillingness to stay and succour the victim and to face the consequences. No doubt the great Law of Karma will impose its own penalties on him.We saw him leave this life to the sound or rumbling thunder, but on a still-sunny day. Perhaps the gods were giving him their own musical tribute.The sonorous chanting of the monks- in Pali- the sacred language of Buddhism- whilst not registering verbal meaning with many of us- including the Thais- elevated the spirit- and as our great Master Tolkien would have commented- the sounds of the words were in themselves beautiful, and the beauty of those sounds held its own particular truth and understanding for us.The ceremony was held in one of the 'salas' or funeral rooms, bedecked with wonderful floral tributes and a beautiful photograph of him in his prime.When that part of the ceremony had concluded his coffin was placed on an ornate silver-gilded cariage, and hand-drawn by the monks three -times around the crematorium temple. It was then place on an elevated plinth with a maginificent floral backdrop. When the bell sounded for the first time immediate family and relatives went up and paid our respects to the picture- the coffin and body being cloth-covered underneath. I, and several senior family members individually in turn placed a saffron robe before the picture, placed a saffron -wood flower in front of it, and waited while the senior monk chanted the Pali prayer for the departed, and received the offering..Then the many other mourners came and paid their respects and left their flowers.This accomplished the coffin was revealed- the lid taken-off, and the young beauty-in -death unveiled for a final time. I must admit I almost broke down when my friend, the grieving father bent down and kissd the brow of his dead son. (His mother was too overcome with emotion to do anything at this point). The mourners then filed past the open coffin- paying their last respects.The bells rang again- the coffin was sealed , hoisted up, and placed in the furnace. Sandalwood flowers were placed on it by the mourners- to give a holy scent to the pyre, and the solid door of the furnace slowly closed.Separately, out of sight, his father , with a sandalwood torch, lit the burners of the cremating oven and asthe body of this young man was consumed by holy fire his sprit soared free into a bliss that is as yet unknown to us, beyond the Circles of the World.I will not say: do not weep; for not all tears are an evilRequiescat in Pace -youngSak.You touched those that knew you with the bliss of your youthful enthusiasm and love, and for us:There has gone a glory from this world.

Death comes to all

Winemaker of Lothlorien
    Does anyone know how I became the awesome Commissioner Gordon? And why everyone is a movie character?
    A thread link would be VERY helpful!

Old Took
    It's the runup to Hallowe'en. Ancient Plaza tradition avers that Admins are allowed to mess us about.

Winemaker of Lothlorien
    Well, at least they gave me a good one.

geordie got some blue car from "Cars" :P

Lúthien
    I had hoped to miss Hallowe'en by being on holiday this year - I forgot that the Plaza keeps itgoingfor weeks! At least LOTR got an appropriate icon - I don't even know who mine is, and thanks guys for telling me they are movie characters (I need to get out more.)

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Shame on us halfirians - this was on page 2!

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Five months on, what are we going to do with this thread? It's not sensible to prolong our mourning in here and come in telling each other how much we miss him, ever other day - although we do miss him. Any suggestions? Can we instead use it to tell eachothernew things that we might have formerly hurried to tell halfir? Can we transform the thread in someconstructiveway? Or should we draw a line under it?

Suggestions please, the silence is getting me down

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Hello again guys - just to say that the sudden and pleasing return of Tinw has gone a good way towards lifting my gloom! But on the subject of this thread, and indeed others relating to/filled with material relevant to our memories of halfir, does anyone know what the plans are? Thanks geordie for bumping the tribute thread, but what can be done to prevent that, and perhaps this, thread drifting away somewhere? Would admins consider a sort of halfir memorial forum? Or would that be inappropriate?

Ideas?

Death comes to all

Hugo Bracegirdle
    Let's all raise a glass, friends, in this festive season. First, to the Professor. And, to our dear halfir, whose name we remember in this thread as being the kindest of friends and the best of us in lore.

And let's remember absent friends - those loved ones whom we've lost in this year or so - they shall not be forgotten.

Beyond the circles of the world there is more than memory.
    Last edited by geordie; 26/Dec/2012 at 01:32 PM.
    It's all in the books...

Lúthien
    Thanks geordie, that's great - I join you with pleasure in these toasts!

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    And now today, again my friends
    We raise a glass together;
    halfir's Plazaversary,
    To be remembered ever.

Death comes to all

Hugo Bracegirdle

Smile

a lovely pome, as ever, for a special occassion.
    It's all in the books...

Lúthien
    Hi geordie - we won't forget.

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Just wanted to stop this vanishing onto page 2 ... it's a nice place to come and sit quietly for a while...........

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Well dammit - now my dear Uncle John has died, my last surviving uncle. Excuse me if I'm not on line for a while, he left no children and we are involved in all the arrangements.

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Well guys - I made an attempt to start some commemorative post in 'All, Please' for the anniversay of halfir's death, but there was little take-up except for Dorwniondil, Asha and LL. Am I expecting too much of the virtual world?
    Last edited by Saranna; 22/Jun/2013 at 11:10 AM.

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    Hello again friends - I have been looking at the lore threads but it seems too early to get my head around it all. I am still learning each day, both for my husband and for halfir, but the lessons are hard. Take care.

Death comes to all

Lúthien
    So, geordie, Dorwiniondil and Troels - we have our new Icons. I just want to explain my choice - I do not see myself as perenially young and lovely, nor brave and bold and fearless.

I chose Luthien because of my own recent terrible loss, for if it were possible I too would kneel and plead at the feet of Mandos.

I accepted the Stewardship for three reasons;

. The pleasure of working with you three.
    . The honour of at least trying to carry on halfir's work.
    . My conviction that Andrew would have wanted me to, and would be/is proud of me for doing so.

On a more practical note, does anyone have a full job description? Have we got more buttons we are allowed to push? Can we now send PMs to more than one person at a time? And if not, shall we use this thread, or maybe the g and D fanclub, as our committe room?

Now far ahead the Road has gone/ and we must follow if we can.............

Death comes to all

Old Took
    Thanks, Saranna! I think this thread is as good a place as any. Among other things, it helps to keep the memory alive.

No guesses as to why I chose my new persona!

Nienna
    Hey Guys..... look at your fancy new icons!!! Please... if you want to find your new place.... you need to go into the West.
    “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Old Took
    Hi Beli! I like the new icons. Unfortunately, not only can I not find the True West, but discover that I am not authorised to send PMs. I am becalmed in Night of Naught.... help?

Lúthien
    Well folks we have been overtaken by events, as we now have access to the Uttermost West - quite exciting. I still think this is a good clubhouse though..... there's such a good stock in the cellar still.

Help, my siggy is all wonky

Death comes to all

62. Thank you for the pointer, Saranna!

It seems I'm the only one who have stuck with a pretentious and self-aggrandising rank Well, the rest you don't need a rank to prop you up ...

And since this seems a quiet corner anyway, I'll just add that it will be an honour and a pleasure to work with you people under the guidance of LotR and in the memory of halfir ... “What praise could I say more?
    Troels Forchhammer, physicist, Denmark
    The love of Faery is the love of love: a relationship toward all things, animate and inanimate, which includes love and respect ...

Lúthien
    Yep, I'm with you Troels - the honour is mutual. (Can't go on ike this, we are bound to have rows eventually!).

Folk who don't see my explanation for my choice of name may feel it a little grandiose ... I just wanted you guys to understand it.

Sounds as if we'll have trouble getting much together till after Yule - do we know if LotR has a long list of stuff for us? Do we each assume responsibilty for sections of Lore, or do we work as a team across all of it?

Going to be exciting as we get stuck in, though.

Death comes to all

Bard of Mirkwood
    * Sweeps away the dust * How unfortunate so many have seemed to have completely forgotten about you halfir. I have not, though the fickle finger of RL has prevented me from paying homage to you here and posting anywhere on the Plaza for some 2 years now, you have ever been a part of my life since first we spoke. May your Lorelight ever shine upon the willing.

Those of us who knew him will never forget him. halfir! Your love of lore lives on and you inspired many to delve deeper.

Lúthien
    No, I can't imagine any of us forgetting him.

Death comes to all

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    Smials the idea of a tribute publication for halfir has been raised shortly after he had left for Valinor but some of the plazarians that knew him better also knew that he would not have wanted his work published at lifetime so we respected that wish and did not go further with the idea.

I guess the best way(s) to pay tribute to halfir is to use and give information about the work of Tolkien as he would have and to treat everybody on the plaza with respect no matter how much or little experienced they are with the work of Tolkien, helping each other when ever we can.
    And of course not to forget treasure his old threads and comments as the gold that they are.

Saranna I agree with you - it is pretty much impossible to forget halfir unless you get brain-amputated that is
    Last edited by wiebkes; 19/Oct/2014 at 12:00 PM.
    Find some more of my photos at: www.LilleUlven.com - and some of the stories of my travels on my new blog: blog.lilleulven.com :)

Scout of the Lone Lands
    I only had a few exchanges with Halfir when I was a member here in my early days but remember him always as being wise and kind. Sending love and good wishes to him, wherever he may be now and to all the friends he has made such an impact on.
    “.. and there leaned up, as he climbed over the rim of the world, the Swordsman of the Sky, Menelvagor with his shining belt.”

Lúthien
    Good to see memories and tributes still being posted here.

As far as a tribute publication goes, the one that Lingwe and I had in mind was not to publish halfir's writings but a collection of essays - maybe from the Scholars' Forum that was his brainchild - to be published in his honour. Sadly we've made no progress, but I hope we shall eventually. It's a lot of work, gathering copntributors and so on.

Death comes to all

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    Saranna I am sure you will get that collection of essays in halfir's honor published at some point.

I just remembered that before this idea of the scholar-publication in his honor there was an idea running around - until someone said halfir would not have published it himself - that we should somewhat make a composition out of those Peeling The Onion threads that halfir wrote here.
    Find some more of my photos at: www.LilleUlven.com - and some of the stories of my travels on my new blog: blog.lilleulven.com :)

Guard of the Mark
    Halfir you were a very kind and knowledgeable person, I miss you heaps <3 The Plaza is not the same without you. I remember my first post on the Plaza I got ridiculed by some people but you stood up for me and gave me bonus points, I will never forget that.
    Even if you're only a boy you can fight like a girl. ~ EA <X3

New Soul
    Hopped on after a four-yearish hiatus, and couldn't resist coming back here to giggle over the insanity we wreaked in [B]halfir's[B] name. I wasn't active when we found out he had passed, and it physically shook me to come to these last pages and remember that he's gone. Wherever he is now, he's got a whole court down here still remembering his greatness - in the silliest and seriousest of ways.

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    Hi halfir I certainly hope they'll throw you (or have thrown you) a great 73rd birthday party in Valinor and brought out all the good stuff for you. Since I bet you have met the professor already I hope you had a good time discussing his work - just wished you were able to access the net from Valinor to tell us about your findings.
    One day we'll all meet up over there - but before that I very much hope you get some internet...

Lúthien
    Leaves an awful gap, doesn't he?

Death comes to all

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    Yea, he does.
    A few of times per year it hits you hard. Hey, I am off proofreading a new book because it is going to be too sad for me to go on (according to the author) ... instead this hits now...

Lúthien
    Yeah. It can be hard. But like the loss of my husband, which I know will always hurt very deeply (whatever they say about time healing), I try to drive myself into work, thinking that's what they woudld want. Doesn't always work, but often does.

Death comes to all

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    I am glad you found something that helps you go on, even though it is hard and will probably always be hard. I guess they would not want us to sit morning for the rest of our days...
    But the thought that still hits me the most is that I had plans to visit halfir, originally I though to do so on my way back from New Zealand but could not find a suitable flight. So I figured to do it a summer after that should I have the money for it. Well he passed away the summer before I went to New Zealand and I figured in the aftermath that I would have had the money to pay for that journey before he died. But then, well Thailand is food wise not the safest place for me - too much peanuts - so who knows what it was good for that I could not make it. (Other than realizing that I had found a great new friend in New Zealand - the only one who cared when I broke down crying with these thoughts in mind... But then I am also glad the others of our group did not care.)
    But anyway Valinor needs internet!

Librarian of Imladris
    Hacked off to hear halfir has passed on.
    He was a gent and was always very kind and supportive to me.

<br />

Lúthien
    Good to meet you again in here, Soro - it's a terrible loss and I knowthe whole Plaza misses him, I certainly do. He was a scholar, a friend, a mentor even though I never met him.

Have you had a chance to read some of the lovely tributes here?

Take care.

Death comes to all

Librarian of Imladris
    *Bows* so good to speak with you again Saranna, you also were very kind and patient with me.
    Please accept my sympathies for your own loss, it is a terrible one to bear.

<br />

Lúthien
    Thank you Soro - I guess the second part of my signature is really for Andrew as well as for halfir. yes, it's hard.

Death comes to all

New Soul
    I'm coming late to this. Hope it is OK to rebump the thread. Haven't been on the plaza - or even read much Tolkien - since 2002/3. I used to be Osse, and I recall (gently) telling Halfir off for spamming the forums in his first week or two here... Recalling some of our chats on Goldberry, I was suddenly looking for some very old threads and realized with a punch to the gut that I'm many years too late to talk to him again.

I only knew Halfir for a couple of years - I left the plaza, left a large amount of work I was pulling together on Goldberry and river mythology, and we lost contact. But in that short time, Halfir (as well as Bearamir, Red Eye, Elwing, Idril and many others) had a major impact on how I conduct myself and communicate. I have tried never to feed my listeners or readers straw, though I have far too often been confuted by stubble.

I'm amazed by the scholars forum. It's a fitting testament to how David would, I feel, like to be remembered. But more, if he changed someone like me, who knew him so briefly and never in person, how much more so he lives on through the people who he impacted most. That's the most compelling testament of all.

Thank you, my friend. Whilst Bombadil lives, you'll never be forgotten.

The Witch-King
    I'm a little late, but I can join the halfiric order!
    "Come not between a nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in they turn! He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked before the Lidless Eye."

Lúthien
    Nothing sadder than an empty room....

Death comes to all

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    it would have been halfir's 76. (?) birthday today...
    Happy birthday in Valinor, halfir.

Lúthien
    We will not forget you, halfir - keep the Great Ones on their toes, won't you

- - - Updated - - -
    Last edited by Saranna; 15/Feb/2017 at 05:27 PM.

Death comes to all