Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9 17 18 19
Results 1,801 to 1,818 of 1818
  1. Hello! I hate to trouble anyone, but I wanted to make sure my Sindarin translations were somewhat correct. They're quite literal, but I translated "Abandon hope, embrace the darkness" as "Awartha estel, heb i duath" and "Thirsty for death" as "Faug-an-gur". Are these anywhere close to correct, and if not could someone do me the kindness of explaining how I could properly translate them? I thank you sincerely ahead of time for your help.

Forester of Ithilien
    Hey, so, I'm creating a design for the Helm of Hador which is described as having "runes of victory" on it. It doesn't say what they are, but it was forged by a First Age dwarf (Telchar). I know they used Khuzdul, but that isn't a fully developed language that we know enough words for (I think), so I'd settle for Sindarin.

Therefore, I'll go to the Tattoo thread to get it into the Cirth runes, but could someone translate "Victory is mine" (or something close) to Sindarin please? I figure that phrase would count as "Runes of victory", ha.

P.S. If you are able to translate it to Khuzdul, that would be even better!
    "In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory...farewell." - Aragorn

3. Quote Originally Posted by Ta'leus Shieldsong View Post
    Hello! I hate to trouble anyone, but I wanted to make sure my Sindarin translations were somewhat correct. They're quite literal, but I translated "Abandon hope, embrace the darkness" as "Awartha estel, heb i duath" and "Thirsty for death" as "Faug-an-gur". Are these anywhere close to correct, and if not could someone do me the kindness of explaining how I could properly translate them? I thank you sincerely ahead of time for your help.
    Hi, I'm very sorry for not getting back to you sooner.

For your first one, "Abandon hope, embrace the darkness", we don't have a word for embrace. I notice you've used Heb- = keep, retain, another option that I think is closer is Gwaeda- = to enfold.
    Awartho estel, gwaedo i dhath = Abandon hope, enfold the darkness
    Awartho = Abandon (imperative -o ending on the verb, Awartha actually means 'he/she/it abandons')
    estel = hope, trust (for Elves, incidentally. Amdir = what Men call hope).
    gwaedo = enfold (again the imperative ending on the verb)
    i = the
    dhath = darkness, which takes soft mutation as it follows the direct object 'i'

Faug an ngurth = Thirsty for death
    There are several words for death, I personally prefer not to use gr as it's a homonym with gr = heart.
    Faug = Thirsty
    An ngurth = for death, Gurth mutates following 'an'

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Ithalion Randir View Post
    Hey, so, I'm creating a design for the Helm of Hador which is described as having "runes of victory" on it. It doesn't say what they are, but it was forged by a First Age dwarf (Telchar). I know they used Khuzdul, but that isn't a fully developed language that we know enough words for (I think), so I'd settle for Sindarin.

Therefore, I'll go to the Tattoo thread to get it into the Cirth runes, but could someone translate "Victory is mine" (or something close) to Sindarin please? I figure that phrase would count as "Runes of victory", ha.

P.S. If you are able to translate it to Khuzdul, that would be even better!
    This is actually very difficult to translate into Sindarin because we don't have possessive adjectives (mine, yours, his etc.) we just have possessive pronouns allowing us to say things like I dr nn = My victory
    Ind pen-theled padatha mi chaid vr

4. Thank you very much Xandarien! I really appreciate you taking the time to correct my translation. I admit that I just kind of pieced it together with a Sindarin dictionary, though I attempted to make it as correct as possible. But I am no expert. Haha. Thank you again. I'll make sure to correct my topic where I used that.

Forester of Ithilien
    Alright, thanks! I actually have one more.

Could you give me the Sindarin for "Civilize the mind but make savage the body". I realize that direct translation may not be possible, but the jist of the quote means basically that both mental (education) and physical strength are important. I'd greatly appreciate it!
    "In sorrow we must go, but not in despair. Behold! we are not bound for ever to the circles of the world, and beyond them is more than memory...farewell." - Aragorn

6. Quote Originally Posted by Ithalion Randir View Post
    Alright, thanks! I actually have one more.

Could you give me the Sindarin for "Civilize the mind but make savage the body". I realize that direct translation may not be possible, but the jist of the quote means basically that both mental (education) and physical strength are important. I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Mmm crikey! I'm somewhat struggling to come up with a viable synonym for 'civilise'. What do you think about 'to teach', 'to grow like a plant' (on the basis of 'develop') or 'to expand'?

Forester of Ithilien
    Ha, yeah, I figured it might be rough. I'm not a huge fan of "to expand", but besides that I think the other ones you mentioned still capture the intent of the statement so they should work! Thanks again.

8. Quote Originally Posted by Ithalion Randir View Post
    Ha, yeah, I figured it might be rough. I'm not a huge fan of "to expand", but besides that I think the other ones you mentioned still capture the intent of the statement so they should work! Thanks again.
    Alrighty!

Civilise the mind but make savage the body
    [Gelio/Galo] i ind, ach garo i thronn rhaw = Teach the mind, but make the body wild, untamed
    Gelio = Teach
    Galo = Grow (like a plant)
    i = the
    ind = inner thought, meaning, heart
    ach = but
    garo = make (Car- = to do, make)
    i thronn = the body
    rhaw = wild, untamed
    Last edited by Xandarien; 30/Mar/2016 at 10:39 AM.

Forester of Ithilien
    Okay, I'm also thinking of a simplified version. I just want two independent phrases with purely an adjective describing a noun. So I came up with this "Noble mind; savage body" and translated it to "Arod ind; dru rhond". Is there any conjugating or something that needs to happen with the endings or does that work? Thanks!
    Last edited by Ithalion Randir; 01/Apr/2016 at 12:26 AM.

10. Quote Originally Posted by Ithalion Randir View Post
    Okay, I'm also thinking of a simplified version. I just want two independent phrases with purely an adjective describing a noun. So I came up with this "Noble mind; savage body" and translated it to "Arod ind; dru rhond". Is there any conjugating or something that needs to happen with the endings or does that work? Thanks!
    Sorry, I went on holiday!

Adjectives always follow their nouns in Sindarin:
    Ind arod = Noble mind
    Rhonn thraw = Wild body

Dr doesn't just mean 'savage', it means 'Wild man', or 'Wose'.

11. Quote Originally Posted by Xandarien View Post
    Dr doesn't just mean 'savage', it means 'Wild man', or 'Wose'.
    Actually, it did, at least at the time of finishing LotR, according to PE17:99, where Tolkien explicitly glosses the word as 'savage, wild'. Later he reinterpreted the word as a loan.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Languages of Middle Earth Community on Google Plus:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334

Guard of the Mark
    Hi, as part of a book dedication, I would like to have the following phrase translated into sindarian please:

Until we meet again, dear sister. I hold your memories fondly in my heart.

13. Quote Originally Posted by Lita. View Post
    Hi, as part of a book dedication, I would like to have the following phrase translated into sindarian please:

Until we meet again, dear sister. I hold your memories fondly in my heart.
    We don't have a Sindarin word for 'memory', so I used 'idea' instead.

Na i l ir aderthathammid, muinthel vell, milui chebithon i naw dn vi 'uren.

Literal translation:

Until (towards) the time we reunite, sister dear, fond(ly) I will keep the idea of you in my heart.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Languages of Middle Earth Community on Google Plus:
    https://plus.google.com/u/0/communities/105957840800720660334

Seedling of Fangorn
    I hope I'm doing this right and in the right place!
    I need help translating the phrase "keep breathing" into Sindarin (I'm hoping to translate it, learn how to pronounce it, then take it over to the tattoo thread and have them translate it into tengwar for a mental health tattoo).

According to the dictionary "keep" is "heb" and "breathe" is "thuia", there is no word for breathing that I can find unless that one is interchangable? If not, I'd be okay with changing the wording a little to more like "continue to breathe", except I cannot find a word for continue, and I don't dare try to put three words together on my own;) help please?

Barrel-Maker of Mirkwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Galex View Post
    I need help translating the phrase "keep breathing" into Sindarin (I'm hoping to translate it, learn how to pronounce it, then take it over to the tattoo thread and have them translate it into tengwar for a mental health tattoo).

According to the dictionary "keep" is "heb" and "breathe" is "thuia", there is no word for breathing that I can find unless that one is interchangable? If not, I'd be okay with changing the wording a little to more like "continue to breathe", except I cannot find a word for continue, and I don't dare try to put three words together on my own;) help please?
    I can't help you right now but I have to say I love your idea

(sent using tapatalk - there is no autocorrect for sindarin)
    maintenant et pour toujours, je suis votre roi

16. First of all let me express my extreme gratitude for the help of this forum. I am having a custom nenya ring (Galadriel's ring; mostly) made for my significant other (I did not like the representation made in the Peter Jackson films). It's a very high end ring and I would like to have an elvish inscription on the inside. I've found some online translation services, but I am uncertain if I trust them. Sizing is an issue (meaning there is limited space on the ring for engraving), so I'd like to propose a few different phrases and then choose the best option that physically fits.

My understanding is that Quenya would probably be appropriate for a formal/serious engraving for a ring of power, but I am open to input on that as well re: sindarin. The ring is many thousands of dollars and is a beautiful custom design (in retrospect, I wish I had come here for ideas first, though it did turn out wonderfully) that I'd be happy to share once finalized. Here are the phrases:

Love in action and in truth
    Love. Action. Truth (3 separate words that stand on their own)
    Sarah Trevino
    Sarah
    Adamant

To be clear, I'd like to have it in the elvish script and the ring designer threw me a curve ball and says he needs this TODAY.

I know her well, and the ring is going to have tremendous meaning to her as Galadriel is a person of great inspiration to her and she has recently made some accomplishments in her personal life that this ring will commemorate, so I thank you so much for your contribution to this special gift.

--

Updated. Now I just need the tengwar script for "Nenya".
    Last edited by sacredrage; 15/Jul/2016 at 01:28 PM. Reason: Update

17. I would not cram too many meanings into one single name, such constructions sound artificial to me; unless you want a name of Entish proportions...

18. Quote Originally Posted by Galex View Post

Thuio chim = Breathe continuously

is the closest in my opinion, unless you want Thuiad chim = Continuous breathing