Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Troy Pics

These are some of my pictures, some of which I posted on Deviantart and Tumblr.

And here is one of them.
    Scavenger of Mordor
    Well, I'm glad you like it. Mostly I post the same pictures I have on Deviantart. And I accept the challenge.

Arwen
    I particularly like your pencil sketches, Troy. This one is exquisite ! But your dragons convey a real sense of majesty and character, especially the expression on this one. I like the detail you have afforded it. And this character (canon aside ) looks devilishly dangerous !

I wonder though, have you ever considered drawing any of the Orc band characters whom you write in the Angmar adventures thread ? While my little orc Nashguk is still slavering to bite your Human Mauren, Sznahk the Survivor and Mawg the Ravenous are keen to see what their new neighbours in the fell north might look like ?

Scavenger of Mordor
    Oh, yeah, Nashguk! I nearly forgot about that little blight since the last Ithillien based rp where my Mauren came late. (Right now he's sitting on his hands while my new orc characters are causing mayhem in Osgiliath in the new rp.) And I might get around to drawing Lűmig and his gang at some point. ;)

Incidentally, where does Mawg fit into this particular caper?
    Last edited by Troy Troodon; 16/Aug/2015 at 10:43 PM.

Arwen
    Spiteful little Nashguk shall be featuring in the torture pits of Mordor with my Umbarian, Keket. Hopefully this week.

As for Mawg .. I am toying with bringing him to watch the Orc band's progress in Angmar actually. He is loyal to the Iron Queen of Angmar, but has mostly been filling his belly of late. Werewolves don't sit around and wait to be fed ... After the Giants of Rhudaur clash with his pack in Ost-Halatir, I know he shall be a keen ally against Drest's powerful friends.

It would be awesome to have a visual aid of your nefarious evil-doers. If you ever do get a feel to draw them. I shall have to check back in here, I am certain.

Scavenger of Mordor
    @Ercassie I drew this quick digital rough and colored it, just to get an idea for the characters. It's not perfect, which is why I prefer to draw it out on paper then colorize it.

Arwen
    That is a fair set of expressions right there, Troy. Although similar in features, you managed to have Lúmig appear almost indifferent, whilst the lovely Nerzag seems somehow more aggressive Or might be I am getting that from her behaviour in Angmar ! And Gung-Bag looks positively raving for some deadly bloodgames ! The eerie colouring of Nurz is quite outstanding and seems very reminiscent to the Orcs in Peter Jackson's Moria, of the FOTR film, though his face suggests he is rather cowed or wary, no doubt courtesy of his larger, more imposing fellows. My immediate reaction to Olgath is 'bear-like', and I hope I have identified them each correctly and not gotten them muddled ! You should write the actual tale of how they met some time. I am certain it would be a compelling read.

Thankyou for humouring me with such an illustratory request. I can picture Sznahk now far more easily in terms of intimidation/contrast. I notice that you tend to favour depictions of Orcs with hair, whereas several of the films, etc have featured multiple bald Orcs. Is this a personal preference where it comes to drawing them, or is it an interpretation of the Orcs being descendent of tortured/malformed Elves from long ago ?

Scavenger of Mordor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ercassie View Post
    I notice that you tend to favour depictions of Orcs with hair, whereas several of the films, etc have featured multiple bald Orcs. Is this a personal preference where it comes to drawing them, or is it an interpretation of the Orcs being descendent of tortured/malformed Elves from long ago ?
    Oh no, I draw bald orcs to. The style of hair and facial features; as well as body types, should vary in how orcs look, and I intend to do make each one look unique as they did in the films and the video game, Shadow of Mordor.

Arwen
    Ah, I have not seen the video game alas. But I am both aware and impressed by the attention you take to differentiating between the culture groups of Orcs in particular. The four in your last drawing are a clear indication of that I recall seeing the Moria Orcs in FOTR with their huge great eyes, and wondering if it was due to their habitat being so lacking in light. That their eyes had actually increased in size, so as to try and absorb as much sight as might have been possible underground. Of course, few Orcs enjoy the light of day, Uruks being largely the best at enduring it, but I tend to imagine the Moria/mountain orcs would 'get out and about' less often than others of Orc-Kind. So it tends toward sense. Unless they should have actually had more developed nasal capacities than the films would suggest. Given that if they can not see well, they would hold toward more strength in other senses.

Uruks in the films were substantially more humanoid than the Mordor Orcs, or even the later Gundabad Orcs from TH, and I could not quite put my finger upon it until you posted this picture and called similarity to Neanderthal Man.

May I commend you on some truly thought-inspiring work here
    Last edited by Ercassie; 18/Aug/2015 at 05:17 AM.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Quote Originally Posted by Ercassie View Post
    Ah, I have not seen the video game alas. But I am both aware and impressed by the attention you take to differentiating between the culture groups of Orcs in particular. The four in your last drawing are a clear indication of that I recall seeing the Moria Orcs in FOTR with their huge great eyes, and wondering if it was due to their habitat being so lacking in light. That their eyes had actually increased in size, so as to try and absorb as much sight as might have been possible underground. Of course, few Orcs enjoy the light of day, Uruks being largely the best at enduring it, but I tend to imagine the Moria/mountain orcs would 'get out and about' less often than others of Orc-Kind. So it tends toward sense. Unless they should have actually had more developed nasal capacities than the films would suggest. Given that if they can not see well, they would hold toward more strength in other senses.

Uruks in the films were substantially more humanoid than the Mordor Orcs, or even the later Gundabad Orcs from TH, and I could not quite put my finger upon it until you posted this picture and called similarity to Neanderthal Man.

May I commend you on some truly thought-inspiring work here
    There are playthroughs online. ;) Back to the orcs, regarding one of my earlier pics, it was an inspiration from TurnerMohan's work on Deviantart. I seem to recall how Tolkien himself originally described the uruk-race as--

"Swart, Slant Faced, Sallow Skinned, Squint Eyed, Long Armed, Crook-Legged Creatures."

giving the reader the impression that they are creatures of almost primative fashion, very rough, unclean, beyond modern. Although the idea of what they just might look like could also very well be a, literary over-exaggerated stereotyped charcuterie of non-caucasian cultures for there time. Not that Tolkien was racist or bigoted himself mind you.
    Last edited by Troy Troodon; 18/Aug/2015 at 06:08 AM.

Scavenger of Mordor

It's been a while since I drew something on paper, so I thought to kill time I'd make up a new character. This humanoid, alien, spirit-like being who'm by accident or design, came to from another dimension.

The over all look and feel I was going for was obviously humanoid, but still something remotely alien and perhaps even supernatural. I gave her (Yes "Her") a gaping maw in her belly, and three sets of eyes; one in her chest, another in her face, and another just above her forehead.

Of course I also gave put tentacles on her head, but she was also supposed to have fingers and toes that resembled spider legs.

The inspiration for this... being, was a mish-mash of my fascination with Fantasy, Mythology, and Superhero comics: The Hindu goddess Khali, The Mapinguari, Medusa the Gorgon, Cthulhu, Starro, and Ozymandias's made-up monster from Watchmen.

Just a simple pencil sketch for now, might draw over it digitally later.

Gwaihir
    Hello Troy, I see you're still experimenting with your drawings. They are very nice. The evil ones and the good ones. You got a rich fantasy for the most extra-ordinary beings and put them to paper. What would it be to see something for real as the female alien presence you draw? Thanks for sharing them!

Scavenger of Mordor
    Not exactly the kind of Art I usually post, but it's art none the less. Just burrowing content that are owned by their respective properties is all.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0XCbOwPUOPI

Guard of the Mark
    That's a creepy new pic, well done :)
    Even if you're only a boy you can fight like a girl. ~ EA <X3

Scavenger of Mordor
    Thanks again. It's nice to draw somethings other than some bloody uruks for a change. Which reminds me, I gotta draw me some elves.

Scavenger of Mordor

Decided to take a break from orcs, and decided to focus on drawing elves... which I am still working on so bare with me! In the mean time I thought I'd experiment on drawing Middle-Earth based warrior women--

An Easterling woman, a Dwarf of Erebor, and a Haradrim maiden.

Though I'm not exactly proud of the outcome. The easterling looks too heavy with her armor, the dwarf has a small head and looks more elvish than Khuzdal (I guess one can consider it accidental practice for elves) and the haradrim was the most difficult to get the right colors for her skin, hair, and her armor.

For artistic license, I gave the rhunic girl a compound bow and sallow olive skin, as inspiration from people of East European, Central Asian, and Middle-Eastern culture; and gave her an ax since they were said to be armed with those. For the dwarf I was inspired by fellow deviantart members for their oc's based on the Hobbit (Fili and Kili in particular being popular inspiration) and I think that's where the elf line draws itself since I may have accidentally made her look like Tauriel... whoops.
    And for the Southron, I wanted to giver her lots of gold, since they were described as being a rich people with gold bands and gold rings, which I'm now thinking I should have added around her ankles to. Sort of drew her fighting style based on thai kickboxing and Polynesian bo staff sparring as apposed to something either Indian, North African or Persian.

Guard of the Mark
    Cool new pics Troy, my fav's the dwarf :) would love to see some elves.

Gwaihir
    Hello Troy: I love your venture in other realms. The woman I like most in the Dwarven female, she got something natural in her movements with the weapon she holds... it's wow from my side. The Easterling woman on the left got something quiet over her, almost something noble if she were a duchess. The haradhrim woman on the right got an atlethic build, which promise some real nice and dangerous action one must look out for. Thank you for the visualisation *g* I would never be able to imagine them as you do.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Ok so this is not exactly based in Middle-Earth, but it is inspired by it to a degree.

This one took me quite a while to complete. A long while back I was on a road trip with my family to my oldest sister's wedding by the sea side, and I was just listening to this take on a traditional German folksong, "Wir Rufen Deine Wölfe" or "We call on your wolves."
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YKCnfyVjXXs

And I was remembering some of Turnermohan's recent art, involving a couple of trolls, which also brought me back to some of the Artwork based on George R.R. Martin's, Song of Ice and Fire series and the movie, Troll Hunter.

And since I am an avid addict for fantasy and escapist fiction, I drew out my sketchbook and doodled what is now re-drawn and colored in photoshop.

My OC, Julias the World Jumper, is out riding a great wolf in a winter storm. Here there are trolls, mammoths, dragons, and some strange folk in the forests, one of which is out riding a white stag and clad in a shadowy black.

It took me a while to figure out how snow effect works, just use blur, noise and levels duh! (I honestly forgot) As well as how to make a night sky background, just fill black, screen, and reduce the opacity... I-IS-Smart.

Although I kind'a forget to give my OC some actual eyes as apposed to the glowing eyes of the creatures in the mid-ground. And I may have over done the noise, or made the specs too small.

Anyway I like to here your thoughts on this piece. I'm always looking to improve.

Guard of the Mark
    I love it, I think it looks great, it must have taken you ages, good work :) Sorry but I don't know much about photoshop so I can't really give you any tips.

Scavenger of Mordor

I thought I'd do a comparison piece and work on drawing more elves.

This first step was to draw the orc first to get the right scale in contrast for the more greek-perfected elf. The elf is very modern and clean with bright colors, where as the orc is obviously more primative and ape-like, as inspired by turnermohan; and used a bonobo for reference.

But alas, I am not pleased with the lines, and the hands were very difficult to draw, for both characters. :(

Guard of the Mark
    Yay, an elf! :) I like them and I think you did a good enough job of their hands even though you say that they were difficult to draw.

Gwaihir
    Hey Troy: Aww such great pictures! I find them awesome. The details on the two different women are great. Interesting are always the orc women you make. I find them always so hard to imagine and yours help me greatly with that. The drawing above took my breath away when I saw it. A real illustrious landscape. The wolf with flaming eyes is very cool! Thank you for sharing!

New Soul
    That snowy pic is great! Love the level of detail and the composition.

Contra Vires Mordoris Nulla Quit Esse Victoria!

Scavenger of Mordor

My last published scrap drawing for 2015.

I said I'd focus on drawing elves, and I did... just very terribly. Seriously their fashion, clothing, and everything is a hassle for me to draw from memory or even find reference online for it.

Also, I completely botched the proportions... I feel like drawing orcs for so long made me terrible at drawing their former greek perfections.

I hope to go back to this piece and draw it over digitally though.

Gwaihir
    Hello Troy: Cool is your new creations of the elves. You didn't terribly at all. I wish I could draw like you did. But all I would have would be unlively stylistic bunch of people. I think it's a nice tryout if you hadn't drawn elves for such a long time. And believe me, you'll get back the swing of drawing them correctly. Good luck! Looks like a nice family reunion *g*

Scavenger of Mordor
    Thanks, I'll try to do better next time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QYsyLdmW664

Okay so this one isn't a drawing, it's actually a demo reel where I try my hand in voice acting, and with this video in particular attempting at providing artificial sound effects for animals much like Dee Bradley Baker or the legendary Frank Welker.

Dee Bradley Baker, in fact voiced some orcs in a couple LOTR based games, namely Battle For Middle Earth, and provided sound effects for the creatures for The Battle of the Five Armies film.

Guard of the Mark
    I like your elf sketches, especially their faces, they're better than I could draw.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Thanks for the compliment, but I'm certain you can get good at drawing.

Set in my own fantasy environment, a band of large warrior orcs are greeted by a lessor orc scout. This was something I've been meaning to complete for a long time; an old sketch re-drawn in illustrator then colored again in photoshop.

For the big orcs in the midground (Uruks if you will) I thought of giving them sort of a Greek/Roman attire with metal strapped tunics, platted cuirass, and short swords, while adding medieval english influence with the iron-shot shoes, iron helmets, and chain mail shirts underneath.

The lesser goblin-like orc is wearing a more standard anglo-gaelic type armor with a steel helmet and plated vest covering a thick wool shirt, and an animal skin skirt. He's also supposed to be holding a scimitar.

I really should get Manga Studio, but alas tis too expensive.

Gwaihir
    Troy: I like watching that video. Was interesting! And a great picture you created of the Orcs, and paying hommage to the higher ranks. Those three around the leader are looking so greatly mean. You expressed their emotions well. Thanks for sharing!

Guard of the Mark
    Nice pic of orcs Troy, I like that you thought a lot about what style armour and weapons they would have :)

Scavenger of Mordor
    Thanks, my main inspiration came from TurnerMohan, an artist on Deviantart who's also a Tolkien geek himself.

A month or two back I recall watching a music video for Coldplay's "Adventure of a Lifetime." In which the band were personified as cgi chimpanzees... if that's not weird I don't know what is... actually I take that back there are a lot of weirder things but I digress.

So one time I was doodling in my sketchbook and thought to myself "What would Elvish Hominids look like?!" So yeah, for my own fantasy world I played around the idea of what the ape-like ancestors of elves would look like in a prehistoric environment. (Ironic since Tolkien's orcs are basically devolved elves if you think about it.)

Come to think of it, ancestors of hominids may have had elf-like ears.http://i.livescience.com/…/…/original/oldest-ape-monkey.jpg…
    So here we see a group of these-- "Homo Edhelensis Pithecus" (Yeah that's a good one. :P) in their jungle environment, happily socializing while a small diictodont forages, an aboral mammal clings from the trees, while herds of zebras and stegosaurus graze from a distance; and an azhdarchid pterosaur soars just above them.

As you can tell it's not quite finished yet, and this too might be re-drawn and colored digitally. I got to practicing the Cintiq tablet that my new school has (And it's not as easy as I hoped.) so there might be a good opportunity for me to use to my advantage.

Note: I used "Edhel" which is Elvish for... well "Elf". Also I coulnd't fit this in my scanner so I had to take a picture via Iphone and email to myself. The detail pretty much speaks for itself.
    Last edited by Troigan; 29/Jan/2016 at 04:22 AM.

Gwaihir
    Troy: You have quite an imagination for I had never imagined this myself, all the way back to the prehistory. It's really incredible! An interesting species and yes maybe somewhere along this strain, elves and humans got into two strains. Who knows? A really great thought for all those thousands of years past by. Only I am very happy never have to lived in those times. Thanks for sharing!

Captain of Dol Amroth
    Hey Troy, fantastic work in here! It's so fun and vibrant. The sketches have a lovely ease to them as well. My favourite is Julias riding on the wolf-- and I think it's so fascinating that you were inspired by that German folk song. My favourite way to find inspiration is through music, as a musician myself, and I love that you made that connection between your visual art and music.

Thanks for sharing!

Scavenger of Mordor

So this is a bit of a more, improved repetition of one of my previous drawings, comparing an orc with an elf, inspired by the comparisons with modern humans and neanderthals.

Again, sort of inspired by TurnerMohan's work on Deviantart, since for the orc I used a chimpanzee for reference, with the squat posture, long muscular arms and claw-like hands, and more prehensile feet, but I did manage to squeeze just a tad of human physiology, particularly with the head from the neck up.

Then there's the elf, the more greek model perfection, which I drew completely in Photoshop, as you can tell by some minor disproportions, and how the feet look more like shoes with stubbed toes... oops.

Anyway, what do you guys think? Please let me know.

Varda
    Hi Troy. Lovely to see you posting new works here! Love the comparison pieces you've been doing. It adds a lot of perspective on their respective features that I doubt I'd notice if you posted each one alone. I'm also loving the sketch of hominids (and dinos! ). Keep it up.

Captain of Dol Amroth
    Hey Troigan! Great to see more work up!

I can definitely see the influence of a chimpanzee on the orc, and an apt choice it is-- I really like the expression on that character's face. I like your choice of influences; I've always found that incredibly helpful in drawing. Since you mentioned you drew the elf in Photoshop, might I ask how you made the Orc? It's really interesting to see them side by side, and hear about your process and influence. My favourite of the two definitely has to be the orc, if especially for his expression!

Thanks for sharing this!

Scavenger of Mordor
    @Burnt Toast, I drew the orc on paper, then I re-draw over him in Illustrator. Thanks for your praise, btw.

Now here is a preview of pieces to come in the near future.

Varda
    Another really cool post, Troy! I'm continually impressed with your bold lines and how they don't lack any subtlety or detail. Can't wait to see what the work in progress you posted will become.

Captain of Dol Amroth
    Fantastic, Troy; your sketches have quite a natural ease about them. Beautiful line work. I have to say some of my favourite artwork to look at tends to be sketches-- I love how a few simple lines can create the impression of something on paper, and how free lines can look on a page. You have a lovely grasp of proportion and drawing a simple and light outline of structure to start out with that leaves a good base to flesh out later. Also, wonderful grasp of motion! That's something I certainly struggle with in my own drawings.

Can't wait to see these further along!

Scavenger of Mordor

I was again referenced by fellow deviant, TurnerMohan, with one of his recent pieces being his take on Tolkien's trolls, using the traditional Germanic folklore trolls for reference, as well as ancient hominids, apes, bears and elephants. He had the right idea of incorporating the features the trolls in the movies were lacking, being more pronounced noses and ears, so I basically had a similar approach. I basically just used the movie trolls for minor reference, but refined with a more neanderethalic the anatomy a bit. I should have have the ribs and hips a bit wider to make it more elephantine though.
    This was also the perfect excuse to practice drawing a female troll, since I often think to myself, "Why haven't I drawn female trolls yet?"; and I knew she had to look less attractive than how I usually draw female orcs, and considering how orcs are already unattractive in contrast to men, elves, dwarves, and even hobbits, that's especially saying something in regards to trolls! So for reference I looked up models of Neanderthal women as well as images of modern female chimpanzees and gorillas, to make this individual here stand out with her femininity and even a strong female physique, similar to modern female powerlifters, but in a more regressed and somewhat distorted demeanor of course with a protruded mouth, broad nose and nostrils, bunched shoulders, and more slant cheeks with a more furrowed expression around the eyes.

I thought of adding body hair to, but I forgot at the last second. But I might get back to adding that later.

Guard of the Mark
    Nice trolls Troy :) I like that their feet are like how they are described in the Legendarium.
    Last edited by Athelas_H; 02/May/2016 at 08:19 AM.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Flat and toeless?

Guard of the Mark
    Sorry for the late reply. Yeah :)

Scavenger of Mordor

Ok, back on track again. One of my earlier attempts at drawing elves.

This was back when I was still used to drawing hominids and orcs, hence why the arms look so long and why the hands look out of proportion.

Guard of the Mark
    I like it Troy, I especially like the way you designed the bow :)

High Counsellor of the Mark
    Took the time to scroll through you whole thread. What an amazingly talented and prolific artist you are Troy! I will have to keep up from now on as I can't possibly post about each one at this point. The warrior orcs painting is great! Love the color and detail. Getting all of them positioned and perspective with each other must have been challenging. Love it!
    War Horses are Born on the Frontier

Scavenger of Mordor

A work in progress, a new profile for my RP character, Mauren. I'm thinking of either drawing over it again, or even drawing it from scratch altogether.

Scavenger of Mordor

Just some warm up quick sketches I feel should be critiqued on for improvement in the future. I haven't been drawing for a while, so before I get back to digitizing I want to hear your input on how these characters are drawn and how I can improve, and what resources you can recommend me for reference next time.

. I haven't been drawing a lot of characters of African influence, so I decided to practice drawing who I imagine to be a woman of Ethiopian heritage. First time drawing the basket/pot on the head pose.

. I also wanted to work out drawing elves, so I did a warm-up with this elvish girl, probably a resident of Rivendelle, working with the clothing and the braids with her hair; and again working with vase/pottery holding poses.

. The troll I probably had the most fun with drawing. I tend to look at traditional fairy tail trolls, Germanic mythical giants, and ancient hominids like Neanderthals for reference, as well as a homage to the live-action LOTR films. Elephants, apes, bears, pigs, rhinos, hippos, water buffalo, walruses, elephant seals, ground sloths, mammoths, proboscis monkeys, and even dinosaurs are also primary biological and physiological influences when it comes to drawing these big Tolkienesque trolls. I also wanted to practice drawing one but naked, but still try and fine some way of censoring his family jewels without having the need to castrate the fella: hence the traditional one leg in front of the other pose, while also overlaying the waste down with shadow layering and lower body hair. I even gave him hints of depigments over his face like some asian elephants have. I also practiced with some primative body paint and jewelry. I remember reading about the cave troll in the FOTR, having toeless feet, so the feet are sort of inspired by the front feet of sauropods, which had no visible fingers and are just stubs.

. A royal unicorn mount, garmented in robes. Nothing more, I feel the perspective of the head is a bit off.

. And finally, a werewolf, and some practice with the some near clenched hands.

Guard of the Mark
    Great sketches :) Did you get inspiration from photographs for the African lady? I was once asked to illustrate an Ethiopian children's picture book and I practiced by sketching people from photos. It's hard to get the nose and mouth right; I think you've made a good attempt at making them look fuller :) I'll post some of my Ethiopian sketches in the near future in my art thread.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Thanks, I'll have to look at them for further reference myself.

Guard of the Mark

Scavenger of Mordor

Another piece I've been working on since this summer. A lone orc leading a group of working class trolls up a cold rocky terrain, some wearing logging harnesses. I really can't help but think of the trolls in the JRR Tolkien's work as giant humanoid elephants, what with their sheer size and bulk, plus their tough grey skin, tusk-like teeth, and funny looking ears and noses.

Indian elephants in particular are a primary inspiration, as well as extinct mammoths for their hairy bodies. But I also looked at chimpanzees and prehistoric hominids like neanderthals for facial and stature-based influences.

Of course I didn't want to give them the feel that trolls are basically unintelligent draft animals, I still want to show them as sapient as they can be, hence why they still where clothes, though I felt I could have given them more of a sentient feel.

I had some fun working on some new brushes for body hair and facial hair, the body hair in particular I especially liked working with. Unfortunately I forgot which brush exactly I used and how I modified it to get it like that. Perhaps someone else might have done this can teach me?! Ah well.

Scavenger of Mordor

Something I stormed up in class on my free time. A race of giants, 17 feet tall wondering a snowy environment, somewhat influenced by those in George RR Martin's work, with a somewhat early human/neanderthal aura with sasquatch/yeti-like hair .

With the case of these giants, I gave them a somewhat denisovan-type appearance with a hint of himalayan macaque and snub-nosed monkey likeness in the facials while still retaining a bit of humanity or even a spirit/demon vibe to their look. For the female up ahead I gave her shoulder straps for an infant he's carrying behind her as well as a satchel round her, plus a heavy shade of shadowing and lower body hair, ditto for the other two, as a subtle method of censoring certain body parts without having to castrate them or just smear block tiles (I could have also fully clothed them but I wanted to try something new)

I also gave them celtic body paint even though it's mostly based in the UK and Ireland.

As well as mythical trolls and giants, plus ancient humans and early hominids, I also draw reference from elephants, rhinos, hippos, pigs, buffalo, mammoths, ground sloths, bears, and even dinosaurs when it comes to the size and physiology of my ettens (Giants, Trolls, Ogres and the like) In this case, I turned to cave bears, ground sloths, and mammoths for their size hairy bodies, and funny-looking ears and noses, and beady little eyes.

I thought to further emphasize on the scale of these guys that I'd add a normal human character. I initially wanted these giants to at least 17 feet tall though they look somewhat bigger than that, so let's say for the sake of argument the only human here is a little girl. I drew her as an after thought which is why she's drawn from scratch in Photoshop rather than on paper.

Scribe of Minas Tirith
    I have to admit you have a talent for this style of artwork. The only constructive criticism that I can provide you with is relating to how you add depth to your color work. What you need to do is decide which angle you are having the light come from and keep the shading angles relative to each other. The best advice I can give you is to get an action figure or something similar, then use a torch or desk lamp as your light source. That way you can see where you need to add more of a dark aspect and create a more three dimensional finish to the pieces.

Hope this helps :)
    Kylar Skyhawk ~ Daniel ~ Raven Art Tattoo Studio

Scavenger of Mordor

Since I started reading the original 1818 text of Mary Shelly's work (So far as I know) and looking back at the early movies, and even the character's appearances in the comics and the Alvin and the Chimpmunks movie, I just had to try and draw my own rendition FrankensteinOh yeah, Frankenstein is the monster's name too, not just the scientist! Why?!
    Because Frankenstein is the scientist's sir name, and as family tradition the surname is passed on from the parental figure unto their children; and with the case of Victor Frankenstein, just who exactly do we tend to consider to be his son...? The Monster!!! Adam Frankenstein! That's the full name of the character!
    Anyway, all this time drawing orcs, uruks, minotaurs, trolls, ogres, goblins, werewolves, vampires, giants, and other such monsters seem to have paid off; sort of a younger looking take with long flowing hair and a somewhat Victorian profile, sort of inspired by Disney's Tarzan to a small extent.
    I had a little bit of trouble working out the facials, the different skin tones, marks, and especially the feet. Not so good with them, usually I just draw shoes.

But I'd like to hear your input, what do you think of my work?
    Last edited by Troigan; 14/Sep/2016 at 05:52 AM.

Guard of the Mark
    Awesome depiction of Frankenstein's monster, I love that you stayed with the yellowish skin as described in the book :)

Scavenger of Mordor

Just a concept for unarmed combat practice for elves. I was partly inspired by this episode of Bravestarr, Fallen Idol, where it is revealed the title protagonist was once trained by another martial by the name of Jingles; and the choice of attire related to their method of combat training includes these pairs of leathery gauntlets which almost look like boxing gloves without them actually being evident that their boxing gloves, as well as leather padded footwear from the shins down, so it's sort of a fantasized take on kickboxing, maui tai, or even savate. I thought it could work for a similar hand to hand combat based activity in a fantasy based world like Middle-Earth while modern boxing and martial arts as we know were not invented yet. Or maybe it works better suited for men or dwarves than elves?! I don't know, what do you think, could this also make for a concept for an RP, Elvish Martial Combat?!
    Last edited by Troigan; 02/Dec/2016 at 01:47 AM.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Cool work, Troigan!

I must say that your art, since 2013, keeps getting better and better and better. I really like the GIANTS. The first thing I thought of before I even read your post was a scene from G.R.R Martin's A Song of Ice and Fire. Well done!

I can not see the last piece you posted on December 1st, just so you know.

I may not come in and comment often but I do admire your art 'a la lurk' . *grin*

Looking forward to seeing more of your great art!

Love is a big word like ocean, mountain, sky...

Scavenger of Mordor

Just a quick sketch of some characters set in a fictional culture influenced from J.R.R. Tolkien per usual, as well as Robert Jordon and Ursula K. Le Guin; and artistically inspired by the works of Rankin Bass, the Hildebrandt Brothers, Ted Nasmith, Angus McBride and Stephen Walsh, while also loosely based on ancient Russian, Scythian, Romanian, and a little bit of Greek and Anglo history.

First is an elvish overlord, secondly a lower ranking orc soldier, and thirdly a female emissary

Simple doodling for my own world building.
    Last edited by Troigan; 17/Feb/2017 at 04:39 AM.

Guard of the Mark
    Great new pics Troy :) Is that a tattoo on the female emissary's face? If so, it's very 'Throne of Glass'.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Now 'That' is something I'm gonna have to consider reading at some point.

Scavenger of Mordor
    I apologize for any new art, I'm still kind of caught up in school. I will be sticking to sketches for now, but in the mean I'd like to know if anyone can send me some references for new Middle-Earth themed art; because I know some of you want me to draw more elves and orcs.

Scavenger of Mordor

Nothing Middle-Earth related, just something I drew for an art project for my older sister, something that had to be medical themed.

This is certainly not one of me best works, especially considering my original photoshop file went corrupted before I make some finishing adjustments to it, but I'm still happy to know other people liked it.

Scavenger of Mordor

Behold, Mauren's Father... Well, actually he's not; this is supposed to be my take on Count Dracula. I did barrow some concepts of the Black Númenóreans and even the Nazgul for reference though.
    Last edited by Troigan; 07/Mar/2017 at 11:22 PM.

Counsellor of Elrond
    Wow, Troi (or Troy?)! These are really good. I like both the sketches and the... - are they called digital paintings? I think they're very Disney-esque (I mean that as a compliment). I can almost see them stepping out of the Plaza and into an animated movie or computer game. Sorry, I meant to comment on these about a week ago, but then got distracted and totally forgot. Keep up the great work!
    asëa aranion / kingsfoil / athelas
    Come athelas! Come athelas! Life to the dying, in the king's hand lying!

Scavenger of Mordor
    Thanks.

We the followers of Mordor (fans of the game series Shadow of Mordor anyway) mourn the loss of one barely one, but still awesome Olog-Hai, Az-Laar the Demolisher, who aided the Bright Lord Talion/Celebrimbor in their attempt to seize the fortress of Seregost.

May his spirit walk freely along the western shore to the undying lands.

-- I was bored alright, and I wanted to make something funny.

Scavenger of Mordor

My current design for my, Middle-Earth based oc, Mauren. He is of Black Númenórean decent so I figured I'd look to the Nazgul, and the Black Hand from Shadow of Mordor for reference; I also took a piece from one of the, "Special Orc Champions" for Shadow of War, which they keep pushing for their pre-order marketing.

Counsellor of Elrond
    Nice! I like the armor and the sword with the jewels. It looks like he could jump out of the page.
    asëa aranion / kingsfoil / athelas
    Come athelas! Come athelas! Life to the dying, in the king's hand lying!

Scavenger of Mordor
    Thanks, glad you liked it; and yeah the sword was perhaps most fun to draw since I wanted to distinguish it from the typical Ringwraith/Mouth of Sauron sword.