Minstrel of Lothlorien

Ideas for Betterment

Hello everyone

I had a few ideas I would like to pass to you and here your opinion. Currently, we have hundreds of guests who come to our pages, and if many of you didn't know, our highest number of users on at one time was not back during the hustle and bustle of the peak plaza days, it was this year. That means that people are coming to the site, and not staying.

When I type in "lord of the rings forum" into google, we currently come up on page 1, 2nd only to lord of the rings online. This is a huge deal, as this is what is attracting all the people. When I type "lord of the rings" into google, we come up on page 3, which is still pretty impressive. When I click our link, the one thing that I notice more then anything else is dates. As many role players and forum users know, when you go to a page, and the dates for updates and posts are not recent, in their mind, they will label it a dead site.

Lets say, hypothetically, I am a newb visiting the plaza for the first time. On the main page, the first thing I see is the desolation of smaug sneak peek, which is good, however, the movie is now out and has been for a few days. The one thing that sticks out to me is what is in the middle, 28/Mar/2013. That was 10 months ago. To me, as an experienced role player, this triggers a warning in my head that visiting this site might be a waste of time. However, lets say I continue, the next thing I see is the Jan. 2013, which says in big bold letters "No one has posted here in almost a year." Then they might look around and see our newest posts are all from today, which is good. But its what is right in the middle of the page that sticks out the most.

Now, I might be intrigued at this point, so I click the forum, tis the main reason I am here. The forum page is good, plenty of topics, tons of posts and threads, most of the post dates are recent, which is good. But lets say, now that I've taken a peek the forums, I'd like to check out the member center. Ok, I create an account, and click on the member center and find that the page doesn't look like any of the others. The "How do I?" and "Whats the policy on?" links don't work. The "Take the quizzes now?" link does not work, and noobs have pointed this out, so I know its something that has been looked into, especially the faq links. I think the best course of action is to keep the main page updated with some sort of news, even if its thread, actor, anything related to Tolkien and his works.

I would also suggest we figure out something fun for our salary. I suggest something for our characters to use in game, similar to the items we use to be able to purchase. We could buy weapons, armor, horses, assorted items, rare items, we could even use ultra rare items to award people with. Then we can say in the opening of a thread if All Plaza Items Apply or something like that. Also, I wonder if there's something we could do to earn assorted rewards and have them posted on our profiles, like achievements with little icons posted to our profiles. for example, as a newb, make your first post, you earn the Seedling Award, and then you earn little reward icons the more you post, as well as you could reward someone with an achievement for participating in a thread, and the little icons can either be put inside a persons signature, or posted directly to their profile.

What do you guys think?

Here is a list of inactive links:
    http://www.lotrplaza.com/showgroups.php
    http://www.lotrplaza.com/forum/help.asp
    http://www.lotrplaza.com/forum/help.asp
    http://www.lotrplaza.com/vb/knowledgehalls.php

Other Ideas:
    - Under Forum Actions, we could add an option to mark all threads as unread as well.
    - Under Community, other then the members list, we could have Houses. Here, we could have sub-forums called Homely Houses. This is where families could post, people have a quiet place to just chat, get to know each other. Pass ideas back and forth for potential threads or threads they could join together. No, I don't think having the large amount of houses they had before, however, with threads, people could just chat and free post(with some restraint of course)
    - Under Calendar, once we get a chance to create newer threads, we could update the calender with more then just birthdays. I'm not sure what we could add, maybe more plaza wide celebrations. Also, perhaps we could have double salary day twice a month, and label it on the calender, or keep it random, so no one knows then the day will come and will want to collect their salary more often. More salary collection, more visits to the site.
    - Also, for advertisement, I noticed that Reddit has a Lord of the Rings Sub-forum. We could contact the moderator of that sub-forum and see if we can get our link on the list of recommended sites. This could be a chance to give those people a chance to do what we have been doing for years, being apart of Middle Earth.
    Last edited by Faldras; 03/May/2016 at 09:09 AM.
    Eruedriath Linnod, Guardian of the Golden Wood
    - Biography: http://goo.gl/VLhSn3
    - Profile: http://goo.gl/GOYy83

Gwaihir
    Eruedraith: Thanks for posting this. Faldras cover the technical database aspects as the "How do I?" and "Whats the policy on?" , "Take the quizzes now?" link does not work... The administrators have these things on a list to do. All asp links are changed for php. The forum isn't on asp anymore and shall not return to it.

Your ideas are surely interesting *g* But I am not that well in eveloping ideas for forum, unless it's just an activity. Wait for an admin to come by, they know more about this than I do.

Pilgrim of Isengard
    It is kind of sad to see the site so barren. I made a suggestion about the library months ago and have had no feedback about my suggestions and my offer to help that area of the site. Also, when you click on the link to Lotr site, it is no easy task to get here to the forums. I remember many years ago the interest in this site. Hell, I was even a supporting member. Now that link doesn't work either! You would think at least the link to help keep the site afloat with money would be active! Anyhow I agree with Master-Eruedraith. I am excited to see that others would like to see this forum go back to it's glory days.

Gwaihir
    Teloreion: My thoughts exactly on the glory of it's former days. I do as much I can for the COLP since both moderators have left and no replacements have been appointed. I filed in about a week ago four months of tribute for that place, where nothing has been done about. I hope it's a yes.

Well if I click Lotrplaza in google, it pops up immediately. I got no trouble with that. What I do know is that there are many visitors. I got a Harry Potter story going on since July and it has been viewed nearing the 2000 times. All those visits are not mine. But nobody comments. It's just so inspiring to read what people think. I am still a supporting member, but that end in early January, and I see no chance to renew that again. It is rowing with the peddles we have in this boat, as matter of saying.

But thanks for posting your thoughts.

Counsellor of Erebor
    I think your ideas are great!

Love is a big word like ocean, mountain, sky...

Historian of Lothlorien
    Excellent ideas, I think!
    Signing off, Princess Gia
    Senior IR Debate DGM | Co-Threadrunner of OOT
    Epic Elf of Wilderland

Chieftain of the Mark
    Excellent ideas, Eruedraith,

If people are landing on the Plaza frequently something certainly needs doing to ensure they stay on.

The dead links should be an immediate priorty, nothing turns people off a site more than being redirected to a page that doesn't exist. If a page is defunct delete all mention of it; if it is still active point folk at it.

A frequently updated blog or status on the main landing page would help too.

Plaza salary being overhauled as you suggested is also a great idea. Perhaps salary could be in some way linked to points earned, and allow a person to improve their Plaza rank that way?

Footnotes:

Just noticed overhaul of HOME page - LIKE the increased number of recent POSTS shown, this implies the Plaza is busy.

Great to see ARCHIVE links is active again. Icons denoting NEXT and PREVIOUS PAGES missing at foot of each Archive Thread though.
    Last edited by Aodh Hammerhelm; 28/Dec/2013 at 12:59 PM.
    ~ Husband of Eléowyn the Fair ~

Dryhtguma, Meduseld

Vána
    Mmm, I had not originally intended to post here, but as it happens I have a substantial "idea for betterment", which i consider important to share with you:

"ideas" are good. Sometimes, pretty valuable even. For instance, suggesting that our front page needs overhauling because it is the face we show the world, and not for the membership, is a good idea, and a valuable one.

However... if this is really a thread meant to "better" the plaza, then... sincerely, a number of you need to apply a filter. Complaining about how things are "barren", how "no replacement was appointed", "no one replied to my enquiry about the library", what you are doing is not bettering the site. You are expressing doubt, discomfort, and in turn generating more. I get that it's what you're FEELING. And that's ok. Doubt is ok.
    What isn't ok, though, is to rename your "doubt" and call it "betterment". You aren't bettering the site that way; You're doubting it ever will be bettered, and in doing so, you are making it less likely that you'll be heard; you diminish your own suggestions, really. It's a huge pity.

You haven't seen a single admin posting here. I daresay it isn't because none have read your comments. It is simply because the implied message of said comments seems to be "I'm the only one who cares".
    You're not. Everyone who is on this site at the time cares about it, and is working to "better" it, in the manner which he is able.

I understand feeling bitterly sad that things aren't going at the rhythm we would all wish them to. I can't say I haven't shared the bitterness, for instance when someone who I might have believed was an excited passionate new "volunteer" turns out to be a duplicate account; when Faldras realised that his multitudinous attempts to find coders to help him bring us up to date were falling on deaf ears, he was also quite bitterly sad. We have all had moments of bitter sadness, and they almost bring us low every time. And then, we stand back up, harden ourselves, and pick up wherever we can.

The first way to "better" the plaza is to stop sharing and promoting the idea that the plaza is all but done for.
    The SECOND way to better the plaza, is to stop believing that it's done for.

If it is truly "Betterment" you have in mind, I have a quote for you:

Then seek your job with thankfulness and work till further orders,
    If it's only netting strawberries or killing slugs on borders;
    And when your back stops aching and your hands begin to harden,
    You will find yourself a partner In the Glory of the Garden.
    Oh, Samwise was a gardener, and Galadriel who knew him sees
    That half a proper gardener's work is done upon his knees,
    So when your work is finished, you can wash your hands and pray
    For the Glory of the Garden that it may not pass away
    !
    - The Glory of the Garden ( slightly mad-libed from Rudyard Kipling's famous poem).

Defeatism breeds nothing but more defeat.

But if you want it in much more tangible terms:

1) "I feel bad about XYZ on plaza" => send a message to your best buddy and agree to find a fun activity to post in together.
    2) "I feel I have the right to know why something I care about isn't done" => send a message to someone who can fix it.
    3) "I want to help" => find out what help is needed, and volunteer.
    4) "I want my ideas to be taken into account"=> do NOT lace them with unpleasant innuendo; they will make everyone who doesn't share them run a mile in the opposite direction.
    5) "I want my malaise acknowledged"=> Please reread this post. I fully acknowledge your malaise, I just don't think malaise makes a good basis for any kind of "betterment". Nor do I think anyone wants to "better" anyone else's malaise.
    6) "I want Lanthy to apologise for this post because as usual she is managing to offend me in new, innovative, and totally original ways" => I sincerely would like Lanthy to apologise to me too, but she tells me that that would be pushing the split personality thing we've got going a bit far. Joke aside, though, yes, I get it, you want an apology, and when we come to a point where complaints like these are unnecessary and redundant, I'll give it serious consideration.
    7) "What sort of betterment ideas would you like to see in this thread"=> "This link is broken, could you fix it" is something very tangible and fixable, very welcome to Faldras and everyone else. "The front page needs more showcasing because right now it gives the impression that XYZ" works. Anything that focuses on little fixes and small but meaningful alterations.
    "It is hard indeed to believe that one of so great wisdom, and of power—for many wonderful things he did among us—could perish, and so much lore be taken from the world."-Faramir, TLotR IV.5

Counsellor of Erebor
    I think these ideas are great! If there is anyway I can help, I volunteer.

Chieftain of the Mark
    My coding skills are sadly outdated, but if any help is needed with scouring and listing broken links let me know.
    Last edited by Aodh Hammerhelm; 28/Dec/2013 at 05:50 PM.

Dryhtguma, Meduseld

Melkor
    That's a generous offer. We do have tools in place to find and list broken links to places on the Plaza; however, what they can't tell me is where we have illegible text due to color clashes (e.g. brown on black or yellow on white) or comically small font sizes, and I would very much like to fix that too, but the scouring part is really tedious for me. If you guys want to help with that, I would be appreciative.
    Anfangen ist leicht, beharren eine Kunst.

Herald of Imladris
    So would you like broken links to be reported? Or just issues with color schemes and other aesthetic issues?

Herald of Imladris
    Alright I have been thinking about this for a little bit and I have thought of a couple(2) of ideas that might make the Plaza a little more interesting:

1. Allow more customization of profile pages. This includes but is not limited to: a) changing schemes/backgrounds b) personalizing through the use of user-created videos, personal blogs (this could kill two birds with one stone), or some other idea c) the option to select your favorite posts, topics, or sub-forums

2. So it has been suggested that something is done to spice up the front page, and action has already been taken; however, it has not been enough to just add activity to the front page. Something new must be created, and I have an idea for this (really an idea to get ideas). To show how much of a community there is on this forum, I think that there should be a community "best-of" page. RP posts, drawings, lore essays, pictures, everything has the option of being voted for (Maybe 3 votes per person per day) in the main forum section, and the "couple" that receive the most votes get a spot on the front page of this entire forum.

I believe that both of these ideas would help enhance the experience of everyone who is a common user of this forum while increasing the opportunity of snagging those new people who stumble upon this website and aren't sure whether they want to be a part of it. The second part would be relying on the best content--not the newest (as it is now)-- showing up on the front page for people to see.

So I am open to talking more about how these ideas would work (and elaborating), and they are open for tweaking and changing, but you guys wanted actual solutions, so I give you some that I think would work well.

Thanks for reading.
    Last edited by Métima Námië; 29/Dec/2013 at 04:05 AM.

Chieftain of the Mark
    @ Faldras, okay I will start noting down instances of text you've mentioned and report back here as and when they are found.

Dryhtguma, Meduseld

Vána
    Métima, your ideas are appreciated. They are not all that different from some proposals that have already gone through Mahanaxar in a similar vein, actually, including some of my own.
    Now that you've proposed them, though, which of those things do you want to try to code up? For yourself, I mean?

And believe me, I am not being sarcastic or facetious. The question is quite genuine.
    "It is hard indeed to believe that one of so great wisdom, and of power—for many wonderful things he did among us—could perish, and so much lore be taken from the world."-Faramir, TLotR IV.5

Estë
    Metima, in lieu of actually coding a post referral system, I was planning on a "best of the plaza" post on the front page every week or two, though this is of course dependent on member input since we don't read everything every day. As I said in the happy holidays front page article:

We will try to keep the front page more up to date this year with newsflashes about the Plaza and anything Tolkien-related as well in the coming year; if you have anything you think should be featured here, an awesome thread or news from the outside world about Tolkien and his works, let us know! You can reach us through admins@lotrplaza.com or via PM.

Warlord of Mordor
    Merl, the 'Best of' post sounds like a great idea! Would what you're planning be a sort of contest, like the Weekly/Monthly Glories used to be, or more like a collection of notable posts (not necessarily confined to RP) that have happened, as nominated by the populace?
    Last edited by Moriel; 29/Dec/2013 at 05:40 PM.

Herald of Imladris
    Although I am learning how to program, I am focusing on C# and not HTML/Java. This along with the fact that I don't have time (SAT's and stuff like that) means that I can't try to code the things I suggest. Maybe in a few years, if I take programming in college (which I probably will have to do at some point), I'll e able to help out on the back end, but for now I am unable to. Sorry Lanthir

Estë
    Moriel - the latter. =) Weekly Glories was good, but we also have great Lore or Cottage posts that people who don't generally frequent those forums might miss. I'm hoping that all of us generate enough content to have a Best of at least once a week, but we may start with once every two weeks until enough people have caught on that they can suggest content for the post.

We might alternate with highlights posts; RAM appointments, new RPGs starting, Lore events, Cottage contests, etc.
    Last edited by Merl Moriestiel; 31/Dec/2013 at 11:54 AM.

Warlord of Mordor
    Excited to see that get started!

Messenger of the Lone Lands
    Just something I've noticed - might it be possible to redirect the "View Site Leaders" link on the front page of the forums to the "Administrators" section of the Ranks page? It may just be my access point, but the link currently leads to a blank page.

EDIT: The update looks wonderful. Thanks for all your work!
    Last edited by Jaldur; 07/Jan/2014 at 08:26 PM.

New Soul
    Not really a "betterment" suggestion as such, but I wondered how people would feel about having a memorial page to members who have passed on, with links to their goodbye threads. It just came to mind when I was chatting with a few older members who haven't logged in a while and didn't realise we'd lost people like Grishnak and halfir.

Contra Vires Mordoris Nulla Quit Esse Victoria!

I very much agree with your suggestion, Silendra. That would be a wonderful way to honor members who have passed on.

On an unrelated note, with respect to the recent changes in font rendering, the new fonts do not appear to have taken to the parts of the Plaza external to the forums or front page. In addition, at least for me, the links to the Archives do not appear on the aforementioned sections of the Plaza.

Doorwarden of the Mark
    I believe Jaldur is speaking of the Member Center and the Knowledge Halls in particular...

New Soul
    Also, whatever happened to the Shop? I probably have been told the answer before but didn't remember...but just noticed one of the fora is still called Site and Shop issues etc.
    it was definitely the shop that first attracted me onto the plaza as I was googling lotr items to buy

Contra Vires Mordoris Nulla Quit Esse Victoria!

Garment-crafter of Lothlorien
    -A fanatics app. This is possible, and if I could find money for a new computer I'd be willing to work on it, but well that's gonna be forever.
    -Either make dead boards invisible or consolidate. I'm, of course, mostly talking about the library and scholar articles. Do we have any scholars lined up? No, but we've got plenty of content that should be organized. Or we could put a call out for more scholars, whichever. Either way, take past contributions and rework them into the library. Encyclopedia is out, scholarly essays and special projects in. Wasn't that what Delori was doing? Is there anyway I could see the past archives for him, as the second age only has the first age archives for the library? Even if I can't touch them, the headers need some sort of something, library is all dead links and sf is from 2011. We could put something about halfir in there.
    -dol Amroth and Umbar don't have the plaza header. There's a big blank space there.
    -I have to learn coding so I can get a job. Faldy, we use php?
    -yes the shop, how did that work as I was first brought here with dreams of buying an elvish dress.
    -Ok don't freak but there has been the discussion of closing some sections of the four areas down, if anyone knows a good thread with that topic by chance, link me otherwise I will look tomorrow when I should be reading about museums.
    -also have the faqs been updated? Movie forum header says 'wait while they are updated for upcoming movies'
    Last edited by Aranaur; 14/Feb/2014 at 03:04 AM.
    wanderlust

Given the addition of the First and Second Age Archives, should the 'Archive' link in the Plaza footer be updated?
    Last edited by Nahal; 02/Mar/2014 at 04:41 AM.

Also, the link for the 'Privacy Statement' in the footer is broken as well.

Herald of Lothlorien
    Peeg has done a wonderful thing in linking many of us to old images and icons from the original Plaza. I loved it so much, I came back! Only to find the Plaza just about dead. T.T NOOOOOO!!!! It's not allowed to DIE! So, my thought is, I can restart the program I started before I left the Plaza last time. Namely, start from the oldest accounts and work back to the newest to send out mass "Hello we are still here!" e-mails, and deleting the old accounts that send back failed e-mail attempt type of stuff :3 The goal being to get to as many old members as possible and get them active again, and since many of us have had kids since we joined, it would bring a whole new generation into loving Lord of the Rings ^_^

Also, I'd like to help fix coding, expand the Plaza again with things like the Battledome (version 2.0, as in I know a video game creator who can make us something visually awesome!), and promote the Plaza again through various means including business cards, flyers, educational centers (spreading the word via teachers for their students), and potentially panels at Conventions across the country and globe :)
    Last edited by Ista Sharrasi; 27/Sep/2014 at 08:57 PM. Reason: added stuff :P
    Ista Sharrasi
    Ancient Giddy Senile Geezer Elf of Lothlorien!
    (And two-year resident of Mordor for shits and giggles heehee)

Gwaihir
    Ista, there might be some idea in this and I am willing out to help you. But I am not in the seat to see all hidden email addresses. We could develop a general email we send to everybody, but personally addressed? I am capable of doing things nice and easy in the background for support. I am practically daily online. On the old Plaza I have been able to gather up email addresses from long gone persons. So there might be a few we could need.... I got them on Yahoo.
    Last edited by Lady Aikári; 05/Oct/2014 at 07:50 PM.

Healer of Imladris
    I believe that the main image problem for any site we might have on the net is neglecting the aspect maintenance. I've seen broken links and broken image links around the plaza that shout to the new user tgat the site is unnatended, neglected or inactive.

This is pure marketing hehe. We the old ones know what to expect. New people mind what they see... A good first impression is always welcome.

I'll be back with more suggestions...

Healer of Imladris
    Anyone needs the exact reports for broken content? I could make some reports about them as I find the problems...

Craftsman of Minas Tirith
    I noticed that there are a lot of threads in the forums where the first post (and sometimes a lot of the replies) are full of code. My guess is that this has been carried over from an older iteration of the forum, but perhaps a simple way for a lot of non-admin people to contribute would be to close down any such threads that they participate in, and start new ones with formatting suitable to the new forums. The older threads could still stay in their forum, but having a new thread with cleaner formatting would make it easier for newbies to jump in, see what's going on, and start participating.

Another idea I had, was to have areas that are accessible only once members have reached a certain rank - like perhaps after a member has reached rank 5 or 10 or something, and performed some sort of contribution to the Plaza and been vouched for by a ruler/admin or something like that, they could be promoted to a "nobility" level of their particular race, which gives them access to a special nobility forum (which could contain a mix of RL and RP elements) and might have perks like being referred to by their title around the Plaza or something like that...? I dunno, the idea clearly needs more work, but it could be a nice little incentive for members to stick around and keep contributing in order to reach something new. (I got the idea from my days on TarValon.net, so you can pop over there and get an idea of what I'm talking about - of course I don't expect the Plaza to completely follow their model as we have quite a different culture here, but there are aspects of it that could be useful in attracting more activity here.)
    Old. Really old. Soooo old. So old that I lost my old signature.

Formerly known as Andúniel/Dúney.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Quote Originally Posted by Naïnodel View Post
    I noticed that there are a lot of threads in the forums where the first post (and sometimes a lot of the replies) are full of code. My guess is that this has been carried over from an older iteration of the forum, but perhaps a simple way for a lot of non-admin people to contribute would be to close down any such threads that they participate in, and start new ones with formatting suitable to the new forums. The older threads could still stay in their forum, but having a new thread with cleaner formatting would make it easier for newbies to jump in, see what's going on, and start participating.
    I have just seen this post and I totally agree with you, Naïnodel . It is sad to say but, some threads do look neglected. I know that the plaza has slowed down over the years and I understand that the few people who keep it running can not be expected to be everywhere and do everything at all times. What they do is very much appreciated. That is the facts.

And that is why I am intrigue by the your second idea. Like the Stewards in the Lore Forums, maybe we could have Stewards in the Regions? Someone with a little bit more power to help the Rulers and Admins and existing Stewards out?

It is an idea worth looking into. Personally, I only have time to contribute to the Plaza for 5 or 6 months a year. But I am totally dedicated during those months and would like to help out in any way I can.

Wise Ent of Fangorn
    I've just come back from being gone a long while, and I'd like to say I agree with Nainodel. I've noticed a lot of code in posts which is really distracting and kind of makes me go "ick, I don't want to read through all that" and skip on to something else...if it would help to gather links to these threads at all to fix them or whatever, I'd be happy to help.

I agree with Drifa, Stewards may be a good idea. I've noticed certain sub-regions are a lot less active than others, and maybe it would help to have a dedicated person to help out. Of course, one person can't make something come back to life without others to post, though.

On that note, I was wondering if some sub-regions could be sort of spliced together? For instance, I don't see why there is both an Edoras and the Mark when they could be combined. I remember when they were created, things were active enough to keep them both going, but when I look at the Mark there are threads going all the way back to 2012 on page 1. I see Goblin-town and some others are similar, maybe it would just help to cut down on the number of threads per page and it would at least look less unactive? I just feel there is so much to look at, but so much of that content is old. Other places like Minas Tirith and Rivendell look all right though, maybe its because of their origins. I guess what I'm saying is maybe there was some over-spreading and there could be discussion (or maybe there already is where I can't see it) about cutting back on the number of sub-regions? I see Aranaur mentioned something along these lines, but it seems to have gone unnoticed.
    "I want to be a healer, and love all things that grow and are not barren." - Éowyn

Shipwright of Lindon
    Seems to be the age of old faces returning home once more. Perhaps we can take that as a good sign.

Ways in which I believe we could improve and help bring our beloved home back into the glory days:

1. Ads - not on our site, but on others. Facebook, painful as it is, is a great place to advertise and easy to tailor. Google ads are also a good way to get people's attention and draw traffic from those who already both role play and love LotR.
    2. To assist in that, a revival of the supporting member program would provide the money to do that.
    3. I am a graphic web developer. Making things pretty is my thing. I am MORE than happy to make us banners, icons, and the like. Heck, I'd be willing to put together a Plaza Cafe Press shop to help us generate the money needed to help get an ad program funded.
    4. Yummy referral rewards. As in the freemium model, which works as much as it is disdained, you encourage people to do your work for you. If there was tribute, subscriber days... special badges, etc. There are ways to leverage the community to help us all, and I am pretty sure that the folks who make this place their virtual home would be happy to get involved if there was a program to this effect.

Those are just a few for now. Even when I wasn't active, this has always been home for me. For over a decade this Plaza has stood as an immortal beacon of role playing excellence. I took the lessons an formats that saw their birth here and made them flourish elsewhere. This is the genesis of so many other successful communities. And I believe with the talent here, we can thrive once more.

Master Craftsman of Lindon
    Lailyn and Illumina, you both bring up very good points of which I hope will be considered by Valinor with the amount of weight they need to be viewed with.

Illumina, if you wished to set up a shop in the cottage of lost play, we are currently lacking a banner shop. My own focuses mainly on icons and I'm just dabbling in things I know little about. Bringing back the supporting member program and using it to fund adds I think it a fantastic idea and I really endorse it!

Indeed, Lailyn we have a big disparity between the areas of each region and I believe the issue of region stewards acting as Sub-moderators to the Admins has been broached before and while I can't speak to the response of the Valar on the issue, it has yet to be implemented and I've heard little about any plan to instate such a system.

Indeed it only requires one seemingly trust-worthy person to run amok with the power to edit and delete posts and parts of the plaza could be irreprably damaged. That said however, if the moderator's (Ruler's) choice of stewards was heavily vetted by the Admins and a type of probation period imposed I think the system could work well!

Formerly Winterwolf.
    Work Hard, Hard Worker.

Guardian of Imladris
    As one of the old faces returning, a few thoughts...

-I agree that some of the sub-regions should be combined. There are a lot, and I think it both makes the Plaza appear less active and makes life more confusing for newcomers. Quality vs. quantity and all that. They could always be split up again in the event of a Plaza Renaissance.

-If we do try and run ads, I'd be happy to jump on the graphic design volunteer bandwagon. I'm not a professional, but I've garnered a fair amount of experience putting stuff together for non-profits over the past few years and I love the work. And I'd like to build a small portfolio to that effect, so I could continue working on it even when I'm not posting regularly (and would love to help pay the Plaza back for the years when I was super active).

-On that note, is CafePress getting quite a bit of traffic still? I could be completely wrong, but I feel like I haven't seen them around much for the past few years. Just in what people link to on Facebook and advertising and whatnot. Etsy and those various 24 hour t-shirt design sale places seem to have overtaken it. Granted, I'm well aware that Etsy would be a lot more work and be harder to coordinate since you have produce and ship your own stuff. But hey, dream big.

-Along with general SMs, members could sponsor specific regions, areas, or lore sub-forums. Edit: Also, before I even saw this thread I was wondering where SM's went. Have they been scrapped entirely? I'd be interested in contributing now that I'm not a student.

-I don't know if fundraising is actually a priority or a necessity, but if it is, my other thought...and again this has some logistical problems...but perhaps we could work out a way for Plaza members to donate books that could then be sold on Amazon or some such?

-I hate to say this, because I largely hate Tumblr and don't really use my personal account anymore, but there actually seems to be quite a bit of RP going on over there along with just a lot of general fandom enthusiasm. I see that we have a Plaza account but not one that is regularly posted to. If people could be found to run it, sprucing up the design and bit and keeping it up-to-date with just regular LoTR-related quotes/screenshots/art/etc. as well as directly Plaza-related things could go a long way towards reminding people that we're here.
    Last edited by Aerlinn Mordagnir; 16/Jan/2015 at 01:56 AM.
    No one is actually dead until the ripples they cause in the world die away.

Bowmaster of Lothlorien
    Hi all. I promise that I will personally clean up the Goldberry thread in Advanced Lore (well, definitely my posts which comprise the majority of the problem there). I've been meaning to do so since I came back last Spring, but well, RL sometimes gets the better of me...and I cringe every time I peek at it and know deep down what needs to be done. Sorry.

Imp of Umbar
    Good idea on trying to clean up the code in posts! I've spruced up the opening posts to the Translation Desk and Language Help Desk (removed code and fixed broken links/emoticons when possible), though I'm not ready yet to attempt updating them with new info/links (since a lot has changed since 2006).

41. Good ideas! When they are about implemented?

Scribe of Erebor
    It doesn't help that the "What's New" section on the homepage has two posts on it - one nearly seven months old, and the other 14 months old. It's not exactly new.

Some of the sub-regions should probably be combined, as has been suggested, since virtually nothing is happening in some of them - two or three posts over a period of four months or so is not particularly active. It definitely stopped me bothering to post in some of them.
    "Onward, then! To glory, and some such nonsense."

Counsellor of Erebor
    *hugs the young Scribe of Erebor* An intervention is definitely a must, with regards to this forum. I am just sad to see new members so discouraged. *sniff*

44. Speaking for the RP'ing community: What really need the most is more committed, passionate threadrunners. The RP'ing regions are depending on only a few right now. That has to change. The active ones will get burned out eventually if they aren't feeling strain already. My fellow rulers and I can't over-exert ourselves, I must also point out. It's great to have participants but we need RPG GMs as well and members who like creating games. As Lanthy suggested on the first page, we need volunteers. Desperately so.
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 13/Mar/2015 at 05:32 AM.
    "There is no / Life I know / To compare with pure imagination."

Counsellor of Erebor
    Sorry but there is a sever case of apathy on this site and I really do not know what the cure is. *hugs the Plaza* I will continue to contribute, it is just very disheartening at times.
    Last edited by Drifa; 13/Mar/2015 at 05:25 PM.

Counsellor of Erebor
    I just wanted to say that, it may be disheartening at times, but never futile as long as there are great people still coming here and participating. This is a thread for the betterment of the Plaza so here is a suggestion.

Game threads. Instead of there being 5 threads associated with Riddle games all over the Plaza with low participation, maybe one Region could run a Riddle thread and another Region could run a Questionnaire thread, etc..

Just a thought...

Tulkas
    Plaza is like Bilbo said: butter that has been scraped over too much bread.
    I agree with Drifa here..instead of having three inactive game threads there could be just one active one. Riddles, trivia and so on. Same with areas..why having so many when there's just not enough people for them?

I don't like the idea of Stewards or adding more people to oversee things. We have plenty.
    Dead links, dead threads and things that make visitor go 'wait a minute..why doesn't this?' are main priority. If you have a product that doesn't work, people don't wan't it.
    I think whole situation can be said in one line: less is more when everything is working.

Tulkas
    More detailed suggestions coming right now. This might get people angry or scared that what will happen to plaza they like now.

1. Drop the subforums. We don't need them now. All can be done in one forum. That forum would be called Kingdom.

2. Drop Legolas Love Letters, drop Scene and heard, drop LotR site, shop and plaza related. Put lore-threads to more compact package. Instead of having 9 different forums for lore/locations/books etc, just have 4.

3. One Ruler/kingdom for starters. When ruler has one forum to take care of without subforums, they could do more.

4. Check all that is dead. Links, threads etc and get rid of them. When plaza would be smaller, less things could get broken or forgotten and this would help coders (Faldras that is) to breath every now and then.

5. Having one forum/kingdom, more threadrunners would appear. Who wants to run a thread that has few posts in it? Back in the days getting a position of a threadrunner was something that was competed on. Was a priviledge then. When I got Rooms of Orthanc to run after Ultchuk, it was more important to me than any scr or atr.
    Also having a kingdom to run would be priviledge, not a burden.

6. Smaller plaza doesn't mean that we would take step back because we'd failed. It should be seen as a possibility to change things back what it was. There's still time.

49. It's not about the areas or there being too much, in my opinion.

It's about hype and fervid enthusiasm for Middle-earth online, I believe, and, to be honest, it'll never be as great as it was ten years ago.

We can't get rid of the areas, in my opinion. The people who have been consistently active and passionately involved in writing stories in places like Bree, the Lone Lands, Lindon, Umbar, Minas Tirith, Mirkwood, Dol Amroth, the Lonely Mountain, et cetera would be devastated and angry by the loss.

We cannot drop Legolas Love Letters, in my opinion; members need a place to discuss other fandoms which is why that part of the forum has existed even before the creation of the Regions.

We cannot drop Scene and Heard, in my opinion. One of the best things about the Plaza is friendships with folks here and meeting them in real life has positively affected many members throughout the years. (Right now Lailyn, I see on Active Users, is looking at the Seattle in February thread).
    Last edited by Aigronding Mordagnir; 15/Mar/2015 at 09:15 AM.

Master Craftsman of Lindon
    I agree with Aig here - I don't think dissolution of the areas is what is needed here, that would disrupt the well planned out order of the roleplaying part of the plaza and confuse old and new alike.

Drifa's suggestion is very good and I think strikes at the key issue here - Inter-regional communication. We often see overlap between threads that exists in each region and often you'll find that a region has the same things as its neighbours. This causes over-saturation of activities and causes people to commit to too many things and then be consumed by real-life and give up on the plaza as a whole.
    In order to combat this I recommend a number of measures to keep activities streamlined, all relying on heavy communnication and interaction between the regions.

For starters as Drifa said, lets coordinate the actives! Let's keep things such as the riddles and questionnaires assigned to a set region and make sure everyone goes to that region's thread for that activity instead of each region having it's own version.

Be aware of what each region is doing and make sure we don't have copies of threads. Excluding the military threads which of course must follow the same sort of pattern as each other the military RPGs and casual RPGs can be kept variant. For example, Wilderland has the Elvenpath RP - about exploring Mirkwood and venturing through the forest so let's not have a similar thing in Fangorn. I feel this applies most to the Military RPGs, which flows into my next point.

Cooperation between the regions and
    keeping a cap on the active RPGs - Now this might take a while to implement but at the moment each region kind of runs it's own thing without consideration of the others. How about we have a cap of say five or so major RPGs going on at the same time across the entire plaza - maybe less even and we encourage roleplayers from each region to get involved in ones in other regions as much as the Lore might allow.
    So let's say the Gondorian Army is having a battle with the Corsairs - it runs as a big RPG and the militaries in the other regions encourage their participants to get involved! Another part of this should be putting '
    Adventurers' in as a part of military threads - members of other militaries and just characters who aren't part of any military who can join in an RPG and get points for it.

The second part of this is
    scheduling - So while the Corsair RPG is running the other regions have say only one or two other big RPGs going and once the Shadowed Lands finishes up say Eriador launches one with the Rangers and the Elves against the coven of witches! Then when that one is finished we have a RPG of the Dwarves in the Iron Hills clearing out dragons to reclaim their ancestral treasure or the Rohirim aiding the Beornings and travellers against a horde of goblins from the Misty Mountains. It's about making sure people aren't stretched out too thin over all the RPGs and once again encouraging inter-regional play.

Make all roleplays double sided - We all love our bad guys as well as the good and the majority of us here play the free peoples but there's a lot to be gained by giving people roles as leaders and minions of the bad guys in a RP as well as the good. Whether this be bandits spiders, goblins or Uruks, let's
    get the bad guys in all the RPGs!

Bottom line - Let's have more cooperation and conversation between the regions - let's make our roleplayers more cross-region and make all our RPGs Unique and exciting. Rather than a plethora of hardly visited RPGs, lets have a few great Region-wide or Inter-regional RPGs! (Oh gosh, I sound like Tony Abbot... Well the point remains.)

Formerly Winterwolf.
    Work Hard, Hard Worker.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Yay, Tony Abbot, eh, Winterwolf! *grin* I wish I was as eloquent as you are at expressing myself and ideas. Thank you!

I must read over your post again, Winterwolf, before I comment. For now, here is an example of my suggestion.

Let us say that The Shadowed Lands take on the questionnaire activity. I am not quite sure, but I think The Ringwraith Review is the or one of the oldest of the questionnaire threads and hence my reason for suggesting it.

In the OP of The Ringwraith Review , there would be links to the other game/activities in other Regions and Forums and visa versa in each game thread.
    For example, in The Ringwraith Review OP one would find links too:

Earidor - Riddles
    Western Mountains - Caption Contest
    Wilderland - I Have Never
    Cottage of Lost Play - Haiku Poetry
    OOME - PAM
    Middle-earth Related - Who Am I
    Newbie Forum - ?

And so forth. If I am missing activities, I apologies. This way each Region and Forum would have an advert to their activity. I am not sure who would run what activity , that is something that would have to be discussed.

I personally will be sad to see such activities as, Moon Letters and Silver Pens, - Ya-harri-hey! - (Caption Contest), King of the Mountain and The Never Ending Story, put aside. They are like children to me. But they get little activity, and a neglected child is an unhappy child (or an unhappy creator of an activity)
    *grin*

I would rather see less and more active threads than more threads just languishing.

Thanks for reading...
    Last edited by Drifa; 15/Mar/2015 at 04:53 PM.

Artisan of Erebor
    Hello people! (and especially Drifa! *glomps*)
    Just want to say that I am around and willing to help with getting the plaza back together looking better and shinier if I can. I cannot commit much time all the time, but as I freelance, I occasionally have periods of downtime where I can commit a large chunk of time to do something. If there are any solid suggestions I can help implement them.

Also, houses, are they ever coming back? I still have all the old KD house info saved on an old hard disk waiting to be revived again.

Khazâd ai-mênu!

53. I personally will be sad to see such activities as, Moon Letters and Silver Pens, - Ya-harri-hey! - (Caption Contest), King of the Mountain and The Never Ending Story, put aside. They are like children to me. But they get little activity, and a neglected child is an unhappy child (or an unhappy creator of an activity) *grin*
    I think this good idea.

Gwaihir
    For Aigronding's call for passionated threadrunners... I am one of them and used to in the past. In concern to normal and grander RP's it's important as threadrunner to listen to your participants what they want. Create as much a flexible main plotline, where secondary plotlines can be added while the RP runs. I used it in a couple occasions and so far people reacted only enthousiast at it. Course of inspiration was Aig himself. However this is not meant for RP games with a ABC choice element for example, those remain in the hands of the threadrunner. Same for caption contests, IR-contests for drill, poetry and others, scrape-off person threads, I-have-never games etc and photo threads.

Norin: No, I don't think the houses are coming back.

Well on the moderators of Wilderland.... It's me and Drifa and a couple of others who are keeping matters a bit active there. We sort and think out new ideas, discard the old and try on something new, with Baingil's consent. But it never hurts to have a few main threads on standing by, such a king's court, a library, a healing unit, sleeping quarters, or a market... even it's a year ago that the last person RP'ed there? Such a thread can always be restarted when a new RP is brought up in there.

Herald of Lothlorien
    Read through most of the posts since my last thread, skimmed a few, but the generl consensus seems to be to reduce the Size of the Plaza. Instead of that, why don't we return to the original layout? Existing threads can be moved into the associated Kingdoms, each Kingdom would have ONE sub-forum that only members of that kingdom can see (essentially a place for all OOC stuff, and that kingdoms peoples' part in inter-kingdom events), and it would clean up the mass of less-used sub-forums. It would give each Major Kingdom a busy look again with everything going in one spot like it used to, and dead forums would be much less of an issue.
    Maintain two Rulers to each Kingdom as before, and encourage members to step up and take part as thread runners, actively messaging and emailing back and forth to keep them interested and posting.

Clean up all the threads of coding, and remove or fix all the dead links. Do another round of Archiving, if it has not been recently done, and take this time to clear out inactive accounts and invite back those accounts with still-active e-mails. I still volunteer myself for that.

Artwork - bring Peeg back in for the art and icons. I know he is not active, but he peruses occasionally, and is still one of the best-known Plaza members. Seeing his art all over again might inspire new and old players alike to do and try new things, or bring back the old that were fun and exhilerating.

Advertise. Advertise, advertise, advertise! Request Eru to build the Plaza shop back up for us. Contact Weta and get inside lines on products. Redesign how we market to the public - take leaves from the pages of OneRing.net and have a set of members who coordinate all the promotional aspects of the Plaza. Attend Conventions, have tables, do panels, have live Lord of the Rings debates! Heck, build a LotRPlaza youtube channel and take our past debates and put them on camera! Remind people that the Plaza helps to develop and build character, build writing skills, and expand the imagination. Market to Creative Writing classes, workshops, gaming centers, and schools.

The Plaza CAN be greater than it has ever been, but we will have to entirely revamp and do it all quickly and at once to generate the interest we have previously enjoyed. :)

Speaking of dead/broken links.... does anyone actually SEE my icon? Because all I see is a grey generic head/shoulders shape XD
    Last edited by Ista Sharrasi; 25/Apr/2015 at 09:26 PM.
    Ista Sharrasi

Cottager of Ithilien
    I can see your icon, but I have also noticed that mine tends to be the FGD (Fuzzy Grey Dude) as well
    "All you have to decide, is what to do with the time that is given to you."

Wise Ent of Fangorn
    I've noticed the grey fuzzy man shows up only immediately following a post, then shows up as the right icon later. I have to say I somewhat agree with Ista about toning down the number of fora. I'm not sure if stepping totally back to the old system will work as its sort of like backward progress but maybe some old members could be drawn back that way. To be honest, I am a little mystified why there is still a whole forum dedicated to the Children of Hurin, for example. I remember how excited we were when it was released but its a bit over the top now. Surely the topics there could be integrated with The Books forum?

Aikari - is it a faux pas to post in a thread that hasn't been posted in over a year? I have been wondering about this lately, as I saw a few interesting threads that hadn't been posted in in a while and I was worried it might be frowned on to post in such an old thread?

Librarian of Imladris
    There are loads of good ideas in this thread and as a formerly-avid-player and long-time-lurker, I'll throw my two cents in here as well:

+ Know Thyself +
    First off, what's our vision? What's our mission? What makes us unique and guides our efforts? This really ought to be written down as the Plaza is more than a flimsy attempt at community: it's an institution in its own right. An organization. Perhaps the Plaza's mission is to: "Celebrate the works of J.R.R. Tolkien by bringing Middle Earth to life, discussing lore connected to Middle Earth, and building a strong sense of community between fans of the books and movies." Maybe? Whatever that mission is, it should convey exactly what the Plaza's aim is - regardless of who the admins are, what year it is or what's popular. Sometimes we can sum the characteristics in just a few words. Perhaps: Community, living, and learning in Middle Earth.

+ Know The Audience +
    Second and only slightly less important, the varying audiences have to be considered and catered to. That's what any marketing initiative (especially those centered around user experience) does before anything else. Interest in the Lord of the Rings and Middle Earth is a no-brainer, so let's move past that and consider the audiences who might be at play:

- Fans of the movies: Pop culture allows for Middle Earth to be a topic. The movies are always going to be a draw in their own right.
    - Fans of the books: Tolkien's work is well known and the Lord of the Rings trilogy is a modern classic. Anyone who reads the books might be drawn to enjoy the Plaza.
    - Role-players: With or without Middle Earth itself, role-players will happily settle anywhere that will allow them to write their own adventures.
    (- Fans of the Plaza itself): It's been a long time. This thread is a testament to the Plaza's history and legacy.

The next step is to consider what each of those audiences wants. Just to make an attempt here, quickly:
    (this is by no means an exhaustive list and should be developed further)

Movie Fans: To step in to the Middle Earth they saw on screen. To learn more about the books. To discuss the movies.
    Book Fans: To step into the Middle Earth they read about. To discuss the books. To discuss the author.
    Role-Players: To slip into their character(s) skin and develop them with as much immersion as possible.
    Plazaites: To revive old memories and make new ones.

Now, we see how the Plaza's functions are aiding or hindering our audiences, keeping the mission statement in mind.

I've always thought the Plaza did a wonderful job of giving proper space for both lore-enthusiasts and role-players. Perhaps considering and developing ideas to bring fans of the movies into a deeper appreciation of the tale with the books is a good thing to focus on.

The role of points on the Plaza is hardly what it used to be. Beyond the ranks, I'm not certain they are of any use at all just now. Lots of forums have ranks - I'd suggest developing how the points can be used to provide fun rewards for both role-players and lore-enthusiasts. Perhaps this could tie in to the character profiles. This would be quite a bit of php coding, I'd imagine, but I think it'd be worth it in the end. Player houses were such a draw. It was a bit of the Plaza that a character or family could own. Maybe this idea could be reimagined - maybe players can own something else.

Maybe character profiles can be called a player's home and other players can pop in to visit, leave a message. Maybe players could purchase additions to their home/profile with salary money/points. Maybe!

Basically, we want to ensure movie fans, book fans and role-players can all have a rewarding experience that is unique to this place so that they become Plaza fans. The halls of knowledge were a great challenge and one I remember researching the questions for! I wouldn't remove them in the long run - they are a great way for movie fans to become book fans.

So, in summary: Plaza Mission + Audiences (Analysis + Innovation) = Potential Betterment

Gwaihir
    Lailyn: I really think not. Surely if it's just one of those core threads as a library or a general free RP thread. A temperate RP thread like my Elvenpath is a different story. That's in used while the RP continues and closed when it's over. If you like we can have an RP together *g* I don't recall to have RP much with you. But for that matter I'll send you a PM.

Isiliel: Great to see you and very interesting your two cents.

Wise Ent of Fangorn
    Just a couple things I've been wondering.

1. Is there any chance of bringing back the Kingdom Pages as Region pages? It would be nice to have a tribute to the old rulers and admins for all the hard work they did, and the KPs used to have something like this. It would also be good for some "cultural" information about the regions. We had a Rohirric language page and pages with canon info about Rohan from Tolkien as an example. I found I referred to them quite often. Its a nice place to put a map of the area as well, I always find myself googling maps for quick reference but they're not all great quality.

2. Is the library still located somewhere? I don't see a link to it anywhere and it too was a good resource.

Herald of Lothlorien
    A thought - at Cons I go to people have these ribbons. Most of the major organizations have them, from profit to non-profit to charities. At $1 a piece they are cheap and easy sells. Would the admins be agreeable to me having a set made for the Plaza, to "sell" to potential LotR fans? My goal would not be profit, I'd sell them for just enough to recoup costs and keep getting more batches made if they go well. I'd aim to educate and bring more people into the world of Tolkien via the Plaza as a family-friendly community. The ribbons might read something like this:

The Lord of the Rings Plaza
    http://www.LotrPlaza.com/

And if we like the idea, we should choose a color scheme. You can have the base ribbon be one color, then the words printed in another color. The choices are pretty well endless for color combinations, so we would need to choose ones that represent the Plaza. I myself have always loved the butter-cream of the background. :)

For example:
    http://postimg.org/image/kjh3rlbyt/
    Last edited by Ista Sharrasi; 05/Jun/2015 at 06:57 PM.
    Ista Sharrasi

62. Friends, What ideas have already been implemented?

Librarian of Imladris
    Quote Originally Posted by Aigronding Mordagnir View Post
    It's not about the areas or there being too much, in my opinion.

It's about hype and fervid enthusiasm for Middle-earth online, I believe, and, to be honest, it'll never be as great as it was ten years ago.

We can't get rid of the areas, in my opinion. The people who have been consistently active and passionately involved in writing stories in places like Bree, the Lone Lands, Lindon, Umbar, Minas Tirith, Mirkwood, Dol Amroth, the Lonely Mountain, et cetera would be devastated and angry by the loss.

We cannot drop Legolas Love Letters, in my opinion; members need a place to discuss other fandoms which is why that part of the forum has existed even before the creation of the Regions.

We cannot drop Scene and Heard, in my opinion. One of the best things about the Plaza is friendships with folks here and meeting them in real life has positively affected many members throughout the years. (Right now Lailyn, I see on Active Users, is looking at the Seattle in February thread).
    hear hear Aig!

64. Thank you, Hithleen! I knew you'd understand. I miss you here on the Plaza although we interact plenty on Facebook ! I'm honored you are still a member of Imladris!

65. What are last news?

Minstrel of Lothlorien
    It has been a while since I returned to this thread, and I am so glad to see that we are all discussing various ways to make the Plaza better. However, though it pains me to see much less activity, it pains me more that the main page hasn't been updated in a year. Though the forums are active, we really need to be updating the main page, even if its advertising new threads or anything. I think that putting some dedicated work into the front page will help us retain more visitors to the site. Also, having the recent forum posts is great, and it shows us as active, we just need more updates on the post side. If you would like me to come up with some ideas, or hell, even make a post or two for the main page, let me know and I'd be happy to help out and get my hands dirty. Glad to be home .
    Eruedriath Linnod, Guardian of the Golden Wood
    - Biography: http://goo.gl/VLhSn3
    - Profile: http://goo.gl/GOYy83

Wanderer of the Lone Lands
    I guess 'betterment' could be talked about for years, but it may be good in the interim to update the main page with something so that a 'bug fix' from a year and a half ago isn't the first thing someone reads about when they come here for the first time.
    Annalist, Physician, & Historian
    of The Black Company of the Dúnedain,
    The Free Company of Arnor

68. Quote Originally Posted by Hanasian View Post
    I guess 'betterment' could be talked about for years, but it may be good in the interim to update the main page with something so that a 'bug fix' from a year and a half ago isn't the first thing someone reads about when they come here for the first time.
    I agree. I like your idea.

Elder of Imladris
    I wonder, have we ever tried contacting the reddit moderators at the very active LOTR sub-Reddit here, to have our site be on the list of recommended sites? Anybody on the plaza that is also a member of the LOTR sub-reddit?

70. I'm a member of the LOTR sub-reddit as well as a number of others such as TolkienFans and ImaginaryMiddleEarth. There have been a number of times I've referenced the Plaza and linked to it in discussions of lore or things of that nature, but I've never thought of asking for the Plaza to be added to the sidebars. I'll have to try and reach out to the mods here soon about that.

Elder of Imladris
    Yes. Outreach to those sub-reddits would be great. I am guoshaohai btw.

There's an erroneus notion shared by some people that the Tolkien hype is gone. Rather, it still exists (though not as the raging inferno it once was) in different forms, reddit being the primary one. That is where I estimate most of the younger new members, and certainly many of the old members of Tolkien's fandom are.
    Last edited by Rivvy Elf; 08/Aug/2017 at 08:29 AM.

72. A frequently updated blog or status on the main landing page would help too.

Merchant of Mirkwood
    Quote Originally Posted by Master Eruedraith View Post
    It has been a while since I returned to this thread, and I am so glad to see that we are all discussing various ways to make the Plaza better. However, though it pains me to see much less activity, it pains me more that the main page hasn't been updated in a year. Though the forums are active, we really need to be updating the main page, even if its advertising new threads or anything. I think that putting some dedicated work into the front page will help us retain more visitors to the site. Also, having the recent forum posts is great, and it shows us as active, we just need more updates on the post side. If you would like me to come up with some ideas, or hell, even make a post or two for the main page, let me know and I'd be happy to help out and get my hands dirty. Glad to be home .
    I can only agree Furthermore, I've been a long-term (quite inactive for a while, but still loyal) plaza member and I've honestly got 'the feeling' that the admins don't spend any time on implementing marketing strategies sadly I also feel like the admins are not very active themselves For instance; I messaged Beliowen days ago and still haven't received a reply.. I have to say that Beliowen helped me to get my old account back and I'm thankful for that, but it seems like she isn't very active I personally just think that admins should be, otherwise every user who logs on once a week could be one. Just my personal opinion. I'm studying Business Administration and I will definitely think of a plan "to make the plaza great again". Omg I didn't just write that
    Last edited by Adrial Thanan; 12/Oct/2017 at 11:26 PM.
    "Mae govannen elen síla lúmenn omentielvo.. "

Nienna
    Hi Adrial. Which PM did I miss as I cannot find it please?
    “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring

Merchant of Mirkwood
    Quote Originally Posted by kaufenpreis View Post
    Friends, What ideas have already been implemented?
    None?

Quote Originally Posted by Beliowen View Post
    Hi Adrial. Which PM did I miss as I cannot find it please?
    Hm, okay definitely apologizing for the accusation.. maybe I just failed to send you that message anyhow..

Is there actually a 'real discussion' going on between the admins on how to improve the plaza and attract more members ?

If yes, I think it'd be in the interest of all of us if ideas or plans would be shared with us, so we could 'maybe' help in any way possible.
    Last edited by Adrial Thanan; 27/Oct/2017 at 01:31 AM.
    "Mae govannen elen síla lúmenn omentielvo.. "

Crafter of the Shire
    Is there a way to search the archives more easily? I have to search via Google to actually find what I'm looking for in a timely manner.

Also, if houses are not going to come back, are there any plans to use Plaza credits somehow?
    I do hope the Promotion Center gets back up and running soon! I'm ready for a new rank.
    Last edited by Maura Dunami; 28/Oct/2017 at 07:00 PM.

Nienna
    Guys, let me assure you all that discussions about the plaza's future are ongoing. We will get back to you once we have something a bit more concrete.
    “Faithless is he that says farewell when the road darkens.”
    ― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Fellowship of the Ring