Warlord of Mordor

Guardians of New Souls II

*banner and thread concept by corlisswyn*

Welcome to the Plaza and the Newbie Forum!

It can be a bit frightening to be new. You never know where the Witch-king might be lurking. You don't want to wander into the wrong place and meet a cave troll unawares, unless you too are a cave troll... But seriously; The Plaza is a wonderful, safe and friendly place. It can be intimidating to be a Newbie, as there is so much to see and do. To help those who would like help we offer the services of the...

Guardians of the New Souls:

These brave and stalwart veterans of the Plaza will take those of you who would like a Guardian under their wing; answer your questions, show you around and keep you from the clutches of the Witch-king (unless you would like to be clutched by the Witch-king, of course).

Guardian Overall Plaza Lore Forums Roleplaying Cottage of Lost Play Regions OoME Specialties
    Moriel Eriador, Shadowed Lands Threadrunning, IR Poetry
    Morwen Daegomir Wilderland, Shadowed Lands
    Hlaevang Threadrunning
    Master Eruedraith Wilderland
    Winterwolf Threadrunning, Roleplay, Icon Making
    Kiranell Mordagnir
    Lady Aikári
    Merl Moriestiel
    Princess Gia IR Debate
    Globümûdû Shadowed Lands,
    Western Mountains
    IR Debate

How it works!

Newbies: Post in this thread that you would like your very own Guardian and one will assist you! If you can, indicate what your primary area(s) of interest is/are (lore, RP'ing, a particular region, etc) so a guardian experienced in that can help you. If you're not sure, or just want a general rundown of the plaza, that's fine too!

New Guardians: Those who wish to act as Guardians please send a PM to Moriel to be added to the list, or simply volunteer in the thread!

Current Guardians:
    Please PM Moriel or post in the thread with any updates or changes to the above list.
    Last edited by Moriel; 19/Mar/2016 at 02:47 AM.

Warlord of Mordor
    Hello everyone! I have included in this thread the list of guardians that I think are around and active at the moment, but if your name isn't on the list and should be, please let me know and I will add you

Estë
    We could use a couple more guardians! If you feel like you know the plaza (or parts of it) and like showing new people around, sign up! ;-)

Forester of Ithilien
    You can put me back on the list (I used to be Lady of Shadow) if you'd like. The only thing I want to change is swap Eriador for Wilderland, and you can tick Overall Plaza as well. To summarize, tick Overall Plaza and Roleplaying, and in the Regions section you can list Wilderland and the Shadowed Lands (I hardly ever play in Eriador anymore). I'll try to come here a little more often (this isn't my only Tolkien related discussion forum).

All good things are wild and free. - Henry David Thoreau

Warlord of Mordor
    Will do! And good to see you again

Doorwarden of the Mark
    Eafurth here! Glad to see the thread has been restarted. I am still willing to help out newbies - or now I should say corrupt them. You can list me for overall Plaza, RPing, WM and SL, and IR Debate.

Warlord of Mordor
    Added! Much corruption, you shall spread

Expendable of Mordor
    Newbie Alert! Newbie Alert!

Hope you got a laugh out of that. Anywho, I could use some help around here. I'm mostly interested in the RPG area and, perhaps, the plaza as a whole.

As for my RPG interest areas:

Goblin Town and Mordor. I have a love of "the bad guys."

So, I guess I'm up for "adoption" at the moment.
    Last edited by Spieges; 11/Jan/2014 at 03:32 AM. Reason: Gramar, posting from my phone.

Warlord of Mordor
    I would be delighted to adopt you PM coming your way!

Doorwarden of the Mark
    Hi there Spieges! I'm Globumudu (you can call me Glob, Eafurth, or even Batty if you like.) Welcome to the Plaza! So excited to see a new member around!

I would love to adopt you! I'll send you a PM with some ideas and info. The bad guys are pretty awesome, aren't they?

Edit - Moriel's gotcha. Lookout, she bites.

Just kidding.
    Last edited by Globümûdû; 11/Jan/2014 at 03:44 AM.

Warlord of Mordor
    Who are you kidding, of course I bite!

Expendable of Mordor
    Great! Thank you!

Horse-groom of the Mark

Hi ya’ll! I play a character named Brynn (as made obvious by my member name!) who is a half-Elf who lives in Rohan. I am an expert RPer, but had taken a break a few years ago when I got married and got a new career. I would love to come back, but this style forum is a little foreign to me! I am used to playing on b2g.com style boards with html and threads. This style forum confuses me a bit when it comes to posting. Can you hop on just any thread and hope someone replies to you specifically and not someone else? How do you find when someone talks to your character specifically as opposed to someone else? I guess I wouldn’t mind a little mentorship in the ways of the Plaza forums! Thankies!

Dryhtguma of Meduseld Eored

Messenger of the Lone Lands
    Welcome to the Plaza, Brynn! I look forward to seeing you around the forums. I'll defer to the elders on roleplay mechanics, but I wanted to extend a warm welcome all the same.

Historian of Lothlorien
    Brynn - Welcome! I don't roleplay too much on here - though I am a roleplayer - but let's see if I can help you out!

To my knowledge, threads that are restricted to members of certain areas will say so in the post. Certain threads are also restricted to certain members - for instance, guard threads are restricted to members of the guard. Usually, the title and Opening Post (OP) will tell you that. As long as you read that you should be fine. Some threads are open to everyone - or to all members of your Region - and than yes, you can just hop in if it's an open thread. :) You can just hop in and see if someone will respond if you wish. If you do wish to RP with a certain person, certain threads have OOC threads. In others, you can white out an OOC comment saying who you're talking to. You can also PM them and tell them that you have approached their character. You can usually tell if a person is talking to you because here, we usually bold everyone's names to make them stand out a bit more. They also might either leave an OOC note for you or PM you, as well.

I think I've covered everything (and anyone is free to correct me if I have been mistaken in anything.)

If you have any other questions, Brynn, feel free to PM me. :)
    Signing off, Princess Gia
    Senior IR Debate DGM | Co-Threadrunner of OOT
    Epic Elf of Wilderland

Warlord of Mordor
    Welcome, Brynn! I've seen a couple of your posts and it looks like you're figuring it out As Gia said, the OP of a thread will usually tell you if there's any kind of restrictions on it, and when in doubt- ask! The plaza's a big place and there's lot to do, but it's certainly a lot to take in.

Forester of Ithilien
    Since I'm back in my former region (with my original username), I'll need you to update my name and swap Wilderland for Eriador again, please. Thanks, and sorry for being such a bother.

Warlord of Mordor
    Done

Forester of Ithilien
    You forgot to add Eriador to the Regions section. Perhaps I"ll go play around in the region again, because I really should get back to the Angmar threads one of these days.

Warlord of Mordor
    Fixed Would love to see you back in Angmar! QoI is still ongoing if you want to jump back in.

Banned
    Hi! although I used to be on here a lot, would like to ask some questions about stuff, as has changed a bit since 2008! is there anyone around who I could bend the ear of?

Scout of the Lone Lands
    Thanks muchly to the lovely Merl Moriestiel for getting my old account back! Which puts me back in the Shire as I was then. Not sure where will end up, I think will look around now you have all these extra regions that we didnt have back in my day!
    To avoid confusion, I joined as Menelfagor, and now have my old account Menelvagor back xx (Menelfagor hasnt suddenly been a bad elf and got booted out for smoking the wrong pipeweed, honest! )
    “.. and there leaned up, as he climbed over the rim of the world, the Swordsman of the Sky, Menelvagor with his shining belt.”

Messenger of the Lone Lands
    Welcome back to the Plaza, Menelvagor! I hope you will find though much has changed, more still remains the same. I look forward to seeing you around.

New Soul
    Welcome Back Menelvagor! I do hope you take a look around!

Scout of the Lone Lands
    Thanks guys, I appreciate the welcome :)
    “.. and there leaned up, as he climbed over the rim of the world, the Swordsman of the Sky, Menelvagor with his shining belt.”

26. Hello all! I am Eardwulf (or Jameson, for those who prefer given names). I'd like to apply for a guardian, if that's quite all right. I suppose my main interests would be role playing and lore, and maybe a little dabbling into writing poetry (I saw something about poetry up top), but it'd be nice to get a rundown of the whole forum. I suppose my username might indicate an interest in Rohan, but maybe I should clarify that? (Ha!) Well, that's all then!

New Soul
    So I'm kind of new around here, and im in a little, I don't know what to do xD so I would like to apply for a guardian. My areas os interest are mostly the rp and overall plaza.

Master Craftsman of Lindon
    Welcome Eardwulf and Kohle! Welcome to the plaza, it's a pleasure to have you with us!
    I am Winterwolf, a mainly Eriador-based role player, though I have done a few RPs in the different areas. I run the Lindon Astronomy Guild and am currently co-running the ranger's mission to Annuminas in Osdolen III, our headquarters of the Rangers of the North.
    I'm a big fan of the lore and of roleplaying so I'm glad you two both seem very interested in both!

So I'm happy to be a Guardian to both of you, if you'd like to get started with roleplaying? Its up to you what thread you'd like to start in though I normally recommend a tavern or inn as they are always easy to start with. That said, we can certainly visit any place you'd like in one of the various Free-RP threads around the plaza where we can have a private RP and I can help you develop your rp skills!

So Eardwulf as you say you're interested in Rohan, so perhaps you'd like to start there? Do you already have a character or would you like help in developing one also?

Kohle what area do you think you'd like to start your character's story in? The plaza covers everywhere from the Misty Mountains to Dol Amroth in Gondor, the frozen north to Umbar and Edoras to Mithlond. Also let me know what type of character you're thinking of.

I'm happy to start you guys together or in completely separate parts of Middle Earth. If you're interested we'll get an idea of where we'll start and then discuss more by private message.

Regards,
    Winterwolf.

Formerly Winterwolf.
    Work Hard, Hard Worker.

New Soul
    Thanks Winterwolf for helping. I don't know where to start I was thinking maybe in Gondor, Minas Tirith, but the Wilderlands caught my attention too because I love the North lore. About my character, I still haven't thought about it, so I would like some help in it too.

Happy to help Kohle! I just realised however that I'm not actually an official Guardian, so I'll try and sort that out but I can certainly help you choose your area and develop your character. So I'm guessing you thinking of going with the race of man? (Quick Fact: Not once does Tolkien ever use the world human in his work. He always has humans referred to as Men or the Race of Man.)
    I'll discuss more by private message but you can certainly write in as many areas as you wish!

Formerly Winterwolf.
    Work Hard, Hard Worker.

Kohle and Eardwulf I forgot to tell you about the few conventions we have on the plaza. I remember when I joined it took be weeks to figure them out! Haha so I thought I'd give you a bit of a head start.

In an out of context or OOC post it's counted as good manners to Bold the names of other people when you mention them. Similarly when you mention or talk to another person's character or even name your own character in the post it's best to bold their name to make the names easy to spot. If you talk about someone who your character doesn't yet know the name of it's best to put their name bolded in brackets. Also it's not a rule but it makes things easier for people to read your post if you italicize all dialogue, but it's not a rule.

Oh and another thing, it's conventional to put a little header at the top of your post to say who your character is, where they are or what they're doing. There's no hard and fast rule on this but they normally look something like this:

Barliman Buttlebur
    The Pracing Pony

or
    Barliman Buttlebur
    Proprietor of the Prancing Pony
    The Pony's Bar.

They don't have to be centered but you can do that by just clicking on the "Go Advanced" button.
    Anyway you get the idea. If you want to get really fancy, like I do with my posts, you can colour your post as I've done and get a character icon made at
    The Iconic Workshop that I run or At Li's Icon Shop among others.

Character icons are normally just above the name on your little header :D

So for example:

Barliman Buttlebur
    The Pracing Pony

Barliman Buttlebur watched warily as the cloaked stranger (Aragorn) entered the pony's common room, taking a mug of dark beer from a passing servant. "Oi Nob!" he called the beleaguered Hobbit over to the bar, jowls wobbling as he lent down towards the small fellow. "Keep an eye on that dirty cloaked fellow in the corner, I don't much like his look." With a snort of dismissal Barliman turned around and promptly forgot the 'dirty cloaked fellow' as folk from all corners of Bree-Land and beyond clamored for drink, food and conversation.

I hope that helps!
    Last edited by Winterwolf; 03/Jan/2015 at 07:12 AM.

Formerly Winterwolf.
    Work Hard, Hard Worker.

Gwaihir
    Hey, I heard that some of you wanted a guardian. I am here *g*

Winterwolf: All help is appreciated and you're doing well! If you like to sign up for becoming one, that always great. PM Moriel/Tavari that you want to be and she will sure edit it in the toppost sometime, when she is online. You adopted Kohle as your mentee, so I leave that alone.
    Last edited by Lady Aikári; 03/Jan/2015 at 02:35 PM.

Warlord of Mordor
    The OP has been updated to include Winterwolf as our newest official Guardian

Welcome, Kohle and Eardwulf!! I see Kohle has already been adopted, hurray Eardwulf, I'll send you my overall rundown of the plaza by PM!

Don't hesitate to ask if either of you have questions

New Soul
    Hello guardians of these halls

I am Anthelia and a new soul here. I must admit I'm feeling a bit lost and unsure of where to start or how to start my journey here. I would like to get an overall sense of this plaza and I'm very curious about role-playing although I have no experience in it and I mean absolutely none whatsoever. Also I'm rather shy and probably need a little push to get myself started here. So if there is a patient guardian who is willing to take me under their wing I would be most grateful and thankful for your help

Banned
    Newbies and introductions is the place for u. And I like ur name.

legolas 21

New Soul
    Quote Originally Posted by Legolas 21 View Post
    Newbies and introductions is the place for u. And I like ur name.

legolas 21
    Thank you, that is really kind of you to say Legolas21! I am exploring the 'Newbies and introduction' section like you suggested but I'm hoping as well to find a guardian that is willing to have me and guide me along in this place

Anthelia, I am happy to act as your guardian and help you get settled here in the plaza. All of us had no experience at some time or another, it simply means you've so many more options of where to go! :) Tavari is probably best to give you a rundown of the entire plaza as she has been here far longer than I, but I am happy to introduce you to roleplaying and help you with your character and also do a small Roleplay with you to get you used to the basics.

Does that sound good? If it does we can discuss more by PM.

Formerly Winterwolf.
    Work Hard, Hard Worker.

Banned
    Hi I am Avalein and I'm also new. I started rping this past December on a different site, as such I'm use to a different format of rping and it is still quite new to me. I am shy and quiet until I know what I'm doing. I am rping as Avalein an elf who is part Sinda through her father and part Silvan through her mother. Not sure where to start though.

Any help getting started would be great.
    Last edited by Avalein; 16/Feb/2015 at 12:39 AM.

New Soul
    Hello, Avalein, and welcome to the Plaza! I'd be more than happy to introduce to you to some of the free RPs in Eriador. Those would probably be a good place to start just so you can get the format down and explore your character a little
    After that, I see that in the Eriador newbie thread Aig has already given you a run-down on many of the more structured RPs available there. While I'm not involved in any of those, you can certainly start posting there (once you've signed up for them in the OOC threads that Aig gave you the links for).

If you'd like for me to be your guardian, just let me know and we can get started!

Tavari, I've sent you a PM. If you could add me to the list of official guardians, that'd be lovely.

Banned
    Sure that would be great thanks

Warlord of Mordor
    OP has been updated to include Kiranell in the list of Guardians! I put ticks down based on your PM, please let me know if you would like anything added.

Welcome, Anthelia and Avalein! Anthelia, if you are still around and would like my basic rundown of how the plaza works, I'd be more than happy to send it to you

Scribe of Erebor
    Hello, I'm a complete greenhorn at RPing, but I thought I'd give it a go. I'm a bad-tempered dwarf lately arrived in Erebor to try to learn some smithing, masonry, or something generally useful, in order to escape previous poverty. Are there any threads around where this sort of thing happens, or can anyone give me any pointers in the right direction? Failing that, hi anyway!
    "Onward, then! To glory, and some such nonsense."

Forester of Ithilien
    I would like to be added to the list of guardians again, please (I'll try to stick around this time, since I think the main reason I disappeared was that I was getting bored with Mordor. I've rectified that by moving back to Erebor in Wilderland, which I should have done two years ago when my favorite character changed). You can put a tick by Overall Plaza and Roleplaying, and list Wilderland and Eriador (since I have no intention of abandoning any of my characters, good or evil) in the regions section. I'd even be willing to take on Dalanir (if nobody else has, that is), since we're in the same area and region.

Last edited by Talina; 26/Apr/2015 at 10:27 PM.

New Soul
    I would like to kindly request a Guardian. I'm no stranger to forum RPing, but each forum has it's own RP culture, therefore, would appreciate someone to help me get acquainted with this one.

My interest are primarily RPing and just general posting. Also, thinking of going the Wilderland route.

Thanks =)
    Last edited by OstAran; 29/Apr/2015 at 08:01 AM.
    ~Strength is merely the difference in the will to survive~

New Soul
    Hey. I'm a roleplayer and would like a Guardian.

Tween of the Shire
    Hello, my name is Tom Woodhall. I am interested in role playing and The Shire. I would like to have a guardian to help me. Thank you.

Gardener of Lothlorien
    I'm not new here, I'm an elf from Lothlorien but I have been away from the plaza for a long time due to RL, I'm back now but am having a problem getting around everything has changed. Can I please have a guardian?
    Last edited by tawariel2007; 16/Sep/2015 at 12:51 PM. Reason: spelling

Banned
    I was wondering if there is anyone who will be willing to help me learn the rules better.
    Thanks

Minstrel of Lothlorien
    I wanted to try and be more active again, so I wanted to request to be added in as a Guardian. Focusing more on Roleplaying in Wilderland, but I have roleplayed everywhere on this plaza. For any of the new people who haven't received a reply, though I am not a Guardian yet, I have been on the plaza for quite some time and would be more than willing to assist you. Feel free to hit me up in a private message. Look forward to being back around!
    Eruedriath Linnod, Guardian of the Golden Wood
    - Biography: http://goo.gl/VLhSn3
    - Profile: http://goo.gl/GOYy83

Gardener of Lothlorien
    Is there anyone around?

New Soul
    Hello, Tawariel. It seems we're a bit low on active Guardians at the moment, but I promise we're all around here somewhere. If you've got a few questions (I see you're returning and the plaza has changed a lot in the past years) feel free to PM me. I apologize that I haven't got a whole lot of time at the moment, so I may not be able to do rps with you, but I can certainly help you find a few threads if you're feeling a bit lost.

It looks like we've actually got a few new ones without guardians. Until you all can get official guardians assigned to you, Taurin, Nemerien, and OstAran, feel free to PM me with any questions you might have. If you have problems with the messaging system, just drop me a note here and we can work around it.

Avalein, as always, my message box is open for any questions you might have, but if you want another's opinion, Tavari or Lady Aikari might be willing to answer one or two questions.

Banned
    Thank you as always, Kira

Gardener of Lothlorien
    Thank you kindly for the offer of help, Kira

New Soul
    Hello, I was part of the forum a loong time ago, but seeing as many things have change, I feel like I really need to start from zero. So here I am, asking for a guardian please.

Gwaihir
    Kisara: I can help out. I send a PM to you.

Apprentice of Dol Amroth
    Hello... I'm new here. Not really interested in roleplaying (though I'm sure it's great fun)... more interested in other forums; lore, books, etc. I'd really appreciate some help getting set up here as I don't fully understand how this all works. Hopefully it won't take much! Thanks in advance!

Gwaihir
    Hello Widlast, I sent you a PM.

Gimli
    Hello all. I would like to volunteer as a guardian for newcomers. I am happy to introduce them to plaza life and I would be willing to answer any questions which they might have. I can pretty much fill in wherever I am needed (as I have done it all)

Captain of Dol Amroth
    Hey, Moriel, you could add me to the list of Guardians! I would love to help out.

Offering expertise in overall Plaza, role-playing, Cottage of the Lost Play (gee, I hope so), regions [Shadowed Lands and Wilderland, though I can point people in the right directions for the others if needed], and OOME in general I suppose.

Warlord of Mordor
    Adding both Hlaevang and Morwen

The Witch-King
    You could add me to the Lore Forum I guess
    "Come not between a nazgul and his prey! Or he will not slay thee in they turn! He will bear thee away to the houses of lamentation, beyond all darkness, where thy flesh shall be devoured, and thy shriveled mind be left naked before the Lidless Eye."

Captain of Dol Amroth
    Thanks for the update, Moriel! You could certainly also add me to role-playing.

Slave of Mordor
    Hello all! I'm quite new to this forum and I would love it if a Guardian could assist me in navigating it. My main interest that I would love more info on would be RPing and what the different regions are and how ask that stuff works. That would be fantastic! Thanks!

Captain of Dol Amroth
    Hello, Botargald! I would be happy to assist you/be your Guardian! I shall send a follow up PM to this post to you after rehearsal tonight. (You should see a PM/private message from me in about 3 hours time). Welcome to the Plaza!

New Soul
    Hi all! I just joined here and it would be great if someone could be my guardian! I don't really understand the whole regions thing and some other stuff too. That would be great, thanks!

Gimli
    Hi David! I would be happy to be your guardian on the plaza. I have been around for a while and I am fairly confident I can show you the ropes. Send me a personal message (Pm)and we can take things from there

New Soul
    Hello there
    I am returning after a very long break from being on the plaza. Alot has changed in those years. This may be the wrong place to ask this question and if it is I am sorry please point me in the right direction. How do I go from the New Soul area to a new area like the Shadowland?

Estë
    Hey Ianstar, this is a good place to ask those questions. ;) Unfortunately the promotion centre is down for maintenance currently, but once it's back up you can find it under Member Center to the left of the screen.

I'm assuming you created a new account because you couldn't get into your old one? As you may remember, we've never been a big fan of double accounts. :P Why don't you email us at admins@lotrplaza.com with your old account details and we can see about get you back into that one?

New Soul
    This is my old user name but the email is different. I am not sure what happened in the years I have been gone. I will email and see if there is something that happened

Estë
    Found your old account. ;) Waiting for your email. :)

New Soul
    sending it now thank you for your patience and help

Gardener of the Shire
    Guardian please! Lore and RP!

Apprentice of Dol Amroth
    Hello,

I am interested in both lore and RPing. In terms of roleplaying, I am quite eager to begin the process in setting up a character within Dol Amroth and becoming a Swan-Knight. Though Id like to have about a half dozem characters, I would rather start small and get a feel for the site first and focus on one character. How may I go about getting my Swan Knight set up?

Elder of Imladris
    You did a good job at figuring everything out, Lantaelen! Brumtown, if you ever have any questions, feel free to ask me.

After working for almost 2 years mentoring Chinese ESL students in RL, I realized that I have a passion for mentoring! I feel that the Guardian system is a great system, and I wish I had one 13 years ago when I was a newbie. I would like to sign up to be a Guardian of New Souls. I suppose my specialties for now would be roleplay, as I have greatly improved and I have adopted different styles since my first RP posts 15 years ago.

Can I have check marks on all boxes? I think I have a good understandings of all those areas.

For the regions, can I be associated with Eriador and Shadowed Lands?

Feel free to edit me in whenever you have time, Moriel.

75. ​Hi, I'm Mel. I'd like a Guardian please. I'm interested in Lore and Roleplay.

Elder of Imladris
    Hello Mel! I'm Rivvy and I will be more than happy to serve as your guardian. I will send you a private message with more details