Counsellor of Erebor

Rune Breaker - WS Special

Source

Beneath the halls of the Lonely Mountain, many tunnels have yet to be delved and many shafts have yet to be explored. Of late, a new tunnel has been all the buzz amonst the dwarves. Runes have been found in the debris, carved into the rock and stone that the delving has produced. The Dwarves and some of their friends have a new activity now solving the runes on the rocks and stones, one letter, one word, at a time; whilst dealing with the occasional mishaps and some bad luck.

Welcome to Rune Breaker!

RULES
    link

Special Word Sleuth Match OOC
    link

Abbreviation Key:

DWC= Double Word Center
    DW= Double Word
    DL= Double Letter
    TW= Triple Word
    TL= Triple Letter

Drifa set up her table (a small wooden affair) just a little ways up from where the digging was taking place. She had finally constructed a solid oak box to store her gear in (no more dusty tiles), and to be used also as a seat. She took everything out and placed it on the small table, her favorite mug last. She saw that Alf and Duff had rolled in the customary ale barrels - tapped and ready. Drawing herself a mug full, she placed it on her table and posted the line up of the diggers who would be deciphering the runes.

Nienna
    AikŠri
    Pele
    Všlanna

Nienna you have 36 hours to make your play! Good luck!
    Last edited by Drifa; 23/Dec/2016 at 02:26 AM.

Love is a big word like ocean, mountain, sky...

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    In Fangorn there was news, whispering from the high trees and it said that there would be a digging, under some mountain, some days walking away. With dwarves and in tunnels, they said.
    Runes were to be found, and maybe gold, eventually, they said and Nienna, who had her garden and orchard all nicely done and ready for the winter, was wondering, why not going there to have a little adventure.
    So she followed the secret call and found herself in a tunnel, with a small shovel, a bucket and a lantern, which was merrily casting dancing shadows on the tunnel walls.
    There were others, too, so it would not be lonely or even worse, boring, down there.
    And so it begun.
    With not much ado she pushed her shovel into the loose dirt next to a strange flat rock and found small stones, and quite a few.
    In the dim light they, without much a shuffle, spelled V A N I T Y, which was rather odd, she thought.
    " Here, here, I got myself a few runes, Mistress Dwarf" she cried in excitement.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa was so busy drinking ale that when the first digger ran up to her with a few runes, she spilled her ale down her beard and onto the floor of the tunnel in surprise. This was not a good thing. The dwarf women with the brooms would be along soon and she would be getting a scolding for making a mess. Not that she was necessarily known to be a messy dwarf but, ale had a way of changing ones ways.

Taking the runes from the digger, she placed them on the board.

VANITY horizontally with the A on the DWC.

VANITY=4+1+1+1+1+4(DL)=16x2(DWC)=32
    SCORE
    Nienna - 32
    AikŠri
    Pele
    Všlanna

AikŠri you have 36 hours to make your play! Good luck!

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa finally got the ale out of her beard and had the floor mopped up (thankfully before the sweepers arrived). She had time on her hands to sing a few lines from a song that kept running through her mind whilst waiting for more diggers to arrive.

They're alive, they're awake
    While the rest of the world is asleep
    Below the mineshaft roads it will all unfold
    There's a world going on underground

Tom Waits

AikŠri your deadline has sailed west. Your letters remain the same.

SCORE
    Nienna - 32
    AikŠri
    Pele
    Všlanna

Pele
    you have 36 hours to make your play! Good luck!

Yavanna
    Bald, a Dwarf who indeed was bald as his name suggested, but hid the baldness under a large hat pulled down to his ears, shuffled his way out from one of the niches in the tunnel with a few pieces containing runes in hand. He was almost as fat as he was tall (or short, even for a Dwarf), and he huffed and puffed as he made his way over to Drifa.

"'Ere! These might do, aye?" he asked, dropping the tiles unto the table, and then shuffling them around to see if these would make any sense or if they were a totally random bunch without a meaning.

ARMILLAS vertically, using the A of VANITY as the first A:
    ARMILLAS = 1+1+3+1+2(DL)+1+1+1 = 11 x 3 (TW) = 33+50 (7LB) = 83

When he seemed to have formed a word of some sort, he wasn't sure what an armilla even was, but it sounded like it could be used to name a baby girl after.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa looked suspiciously at the short fat dwarf (Bald) with his hat pulled down to his ears. It was a strange site indeed to see a dwarf without head- hair sticking out from beneath a hat, cap, lid or helm (baldness being unknown among them). But there were his ears; all pink and coming out from under his hat. Brilliant!!

She looked at the runes and smiled at the dwarf.

Thank you, eh, Bald is it? I was just admiring your ears. You do not see too many dwarf ears, what with all the hair and beard covering them. What caused your hair to fall out?

As she waited for Bald to answer, she glanced at the runes on the board. It was a fantastic rune discovery but, she saw that there was one rune left over to be deciphered and used.

Unfortunately, Pele, because you have eight letters this round, I feel you would have had to use all eight letters to obtain a 50 point bonus, eh? Subsequent rounds will be 7 letters as usual but, this round it should be eight for the 50 point bonus. My apologies if this was confusing. It is a nice baby's name by the way. *grin*

SCORE
    Nienna - 32
    AikŠri -
    Pele - 33
    Všlanna

Všlanna

Knight of the Mark
    Dorf, who hailed from the house Dalf, was one of those who came to dig for runes. He was a long bearded dwarf of substantial size and muscle but his learning has been slow. Still, he knew what a rune was because his whole family spent their entire lives digging for runes. So he came from a family of rune diggers and nothing was finer than digging up a rune. You never know what kind of secrets and tales you could find. Besides, sometimes there was other finds to be found digging, not just runes, but diamonds and silver as well. A broad smile grew on his face when he found his and he put them on his tray and took them over to Drifa's table for closer examination. "I have runes.... here."

JAILER vertically using the I in VANITY.
    JAILER= 24(TL)+1+1+1+3(TL)+1=31

Counsellor of Erebor
    While Drifa continued to admire Bald's ears, another dwarf (Dorf), of substantial size, dropped some runes on her table with a clunk and grinned. Six runes was a heavy load of rocks. Drifa made a mental note to find a sturdier table before her little table cracked in half under the weight of the runes.

It looked like the huge dwarf had found a good collection . A definite deciphering challenge. She was about to ask him what he thought the runes spelt when, a sudden gush of wind blew up the shaft. It blew so hard, she was sure she saw Bald's ears flap. She grabbed the small table and held on, waiting for the diggers to close the air shaft they had obviously dug into.

Grinning at Dorf, the wind blowing their beards straight back from their faces in a forked like fashion, she called to him over the sound of the wind.

'Devil of a breeze, eh?'
    Your play is good for 31 points. Nice play!

SCORE
    Nienna - 32
    AikŠri -
    Pele - 33
    Všlanna - 31

Nienna
    Last edited by Drifa; 18/Dec/2016 at 01:02 AM. Reason: typos

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    The tunnels were dimly lit, with flickering torches, and in the shadows there were dwarves, digging and mumbling over what they found in the loose dirt.
    Niennas spot was a bit away from the others, where gravel and rocks were scattered around and the ground did crunch and rumble under her feet.
    She dug here and there and found 3 more runes, gathered them and walked over to the mistress dwarf, who sat at a table, observing the dig and was...drinking. "Dwarves", Nienna mumbled and put her find on the table in front of Drifa. "Look" she said, "I've found myself another 3."HART(using HAR) vertically, next to JAILER, putting the H right and above the J of Jailer, using the J (of Jailer) with the A and the A(of Jailer) with the R and the T of Vanity at the end.
    HART = 4+8(J)+1+1(A)+1+1(T)= 16 x(DW) = 32

Counsellor of Erebor
    The Setting

This special match is set under the Lonely Mountain in a new tunnel being delved.

It is a nice clean tunnel so far. The dwarf women sweep it regularly due to the fact that they do not like their long beards dragging through the sand and bits of debris that accumulate from the delving. Also, the leftovers from the dwarf men and their friends activities - discarded pieces of burnt faggots from lighting their pipes, crumbs from their cram, mud from their boots, etcetera.

It is a well lit tunnel most of the time.

The tunnel is 'five feet high and three may walk abreast'.
    So if you are an elf, an Ent or a man, you may find yourself bent over much of the time.

The rune seekers had finally blocked off the air vent. Drifa was just getting her beard combed down when more runes were deposited on her table. Luckily there was only 3 rocks this time and no damage done. She swore by sticks and stone she would get her bigger table soon.

Looking at the runes Nienna found, she shook her head and said.

Unfortunately I can not accept your play, Nienna. The A in HAR beside the J in JAILER creates JA. JA is not an official word in the scrabble dictionary which can be found in RULES <~​link. Therefore your letters remain the same. Better luck next round.

SCORE
    Nienna - 32
    AikŠri -
    Pele - 33
    Všlanna - 31

AikŠri

Yavanna
    Bald sniffled and then ran the sleeve of his shirt across his nose; it seemed that the cold breeze from somewhere made his nose runny. And almost snatched the hat from his head, but he managed to grab it and hold it in place, until he felt that the air was more or less still again. Then he turned to Drifa and pointed his index finger up to the ceiling as if he was about to give a wise speech.

"You never wanna mess with people offering some sort of concoctions to help deal with tangled hair," he said solemnly. "See, I tried... Sure, I have no more trouble with tangled hair, but neither do I have any hair left at all. A good thing my skin did not fall off. The stuff was potent and stank like... ten dead rats."

Bald turned around on his heel and trotted away to look for more runes. Obviously his trotting could not be very quick, since he ran out of breath rather soon. He muttered something under his breath regarding good food readily available and the need to get in better shape, as he disappeared in the niche he had previously worked in.

Gwaihir
    Lady AikŠri Salmarinian

It had been a very long time since she had done a game like this. So she sat thinking over the gameboard and formed the first word horizontal over the Armillas's S: Histed. With her remaining letters she formed yet another word, but stopped from doing that. She kept her last letters for a new round, if this was all accepted. For the rest the fair elven maiden from the west waited.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa was looking at Bald's ears as he walked away. How tangled could his hair have been to have taken such drastic measures that would cause one to lose all their hair??
    She felt sad for the bald dwarf. She was about to call out a word of comfort towards his retreating back when someone found a few runes and brought them to her attention.

HISTED is good for 10 points. Nice play AikŠri !

SCORE
    Nienna - 32
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 33
    Všlanna - 31

Pele

Yavanna
    Only the sounds of diligent work could be heard from his corner for a while, with grumbling heard in those rare moments when he stopped to rest his arms and back for a bit. Soon enough he emerged, with a thin layer of dust covering his face. However, a smile lit his face, as he walked up to Drifa.

"Think I should change the location. Not many runes in there," Bald said, dropping only two on the table. "But! I found something else."

From his pocket he pulled out a sparkly diamond and offered it to Drifa. "'Ere, maybe you can have it made into some beautiful jewellery. It still needs some polishing and such, it does, but what is that to some skilled dwarf, aye?"

NO vertically, with O next to J of JAILER, also forming JO:
    NO = 1+1=2xDW=4
    JO = 8+1=9
    Total = 13

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa beamed, dimpled and grinned at the diamond she saw in Bald's hand. This hairless dwarf knew his kin. Diamonds, after all, are a Dwarfs gal's best friend.

The race of Men are glad to die for love
    They delight in fighting duels
    But I prefer a Dwarf who lives
    And gives expensive jewels
    A kiss on the hand
    May be quite Beleriandian.
    But diamonds are a Dwarf gal's best friend

A kiss may be grand
    But it won't pay the Dale-man,
    your food supplier
    Or help you kill Mirkwood spiders.

Men Dwarves grow cold
    As Girl Dwarves grow old
    Losing their charms in the end
    But square-cut or pear-shaped
    These rocks don't loose their shape
    Diamonds are a Dwarf gal's best friend

The Lonely Mountain
    The Caverns of Helm's Deep
    ElendŽ
    Tirion
    Talk to me Turgon
    Tell me all about it -
    your Crown of Diamonds

Men Dwarves grow cold
    As Girl Dwarves grow old
    Losing their charms in the end
    But square-cut or pear-shaped
    These rocks don't loose their shape
    Diamonds are a Dwarf gal's best friend

Adapted from Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend Lyrics
    from Great American Legends: Marilyn Monroe
    Read more: Marilyn Monroe - Diamonds Are A Girls Best Friend Lyrics | MetroLyrics

NO is good for 13 points, Pele. Nice play!
    SCORE
    Nienna - 32
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 46
    Všlanna - 31

Všlannayou have 36 hours to make your play! Good luck!

Knight of the Mark
    Dorf was digging contently until he heard fellow Dwarf Bald's advice. He stopped what he was doing to listen and nodded in agreement about using..."some sort of concoctions to help deal with tangled haiir." Dorf knew this all to well because his hair was long and thick. He preferred to braid his hair because then he didn't have to deal with the tangles. Besides, birds often liked to nest in dwarf beards and it was an awful mess to try and get them out once they started nesting. He even chuckled when Bald got winded just trying to trot a little ways. Dorf kept himself fit and strong by digging many hours a day and climbing mountains and hiking long distances to find runes. After he lost interest in what Bald was doing he turned back to his own business and decided to take his runes to Drifa for inspection. He laid them out before her feeling fairly confidant that they were legit but waited for her final say.

ANONYM (false or assumed name) vertically using the "Y" in VANITY
    ANONYM= 1(DW)+1+1+1+4+3=11 x2(DW)=22
    Total 22

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa knew that something was wrong. She had been brushing her beard and hair to a glossy sheen (her eyes looking about warily for any birds that might happen to fly into the tunnel and attempt to nest in her beard), when she heard bells ringing in her ears. Now, it could very well be that those bells were sleigh bells but, she thought that they were more likely warning bells. Something was amiss with the runes that had just been deciphered. Two of them had not been placed properly on the board.

Všlanna - I must not have updated the board yesterday. Pele's runes NO are now added. You can not use that place for your word, ANONYM. My apologies.

You may try again after Christmas or if you have time before the holiday, please feel free to post again.

Merry Christmas my friends!
    Last edited by Drifa; 25/Dec/2016 at 01:34 AM.

Knight of the Mark
    Dorf realized his err when he saw the look on Drifa's face and so offered her two 'other' tiles instead.

JOIN using the JO

JOIN= 8+1+1+1 = 11
    TOTAL=11

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa was glad that the last few runes got their place on the board. It was a tricky business deciphering an alphabet one didn't know well. These hard working dwarves and their friends were doing a fantastic job. She thought it was time for a reward to encourage them. She posted a notice near the water tank where a ladle and the cups hung.

If you find the runes that create one of these words and you can play the word, a 10 point bonus will be added to your score.

IT - RUN - HE - CRY

Please excuse the delay in updating. I was up to my elbows in turkey and cranberries and mashed taters.

Nice play Všlanna!
    SCORE
    Nienna - 32
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 46
    Všlanna - 42

Nienna
    Last edited by Drifa; 15/Jan/2017 at 02:10 AM.

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    Nienna hang her head. Her runes didn't make any sense. And digging in tunnels was not how she was used to digging in the first place. She was taller then the dwarves around her, had to bend deeper, must cower low and then had to crawl on her knees.
    This was not planting some herbs or flowers in her forest garden. And the light was so dim, too. "Anyway, onwards..." she said to herself and turned around.
    On her way back to her dig she rummaged in her pockets and found one single rune. "This has to fit perfectly" she mumbled, turned around, walked back to Drifa, and placed it on her table with a smile.

H E
    using the E in HISTED
    H E = 4x4 + 1 = 17

Counsellor of Erebor
    Aye a tunnel under the Mountain was not suited for all but, the rewards sometimes (jewels and gems) made it worth it. Dwarves are masters at creating smooth, straight, tunnels. Hopefully this would appease non dwarves who had to stoop and bend. Plus there was fresh water and air vents in the tunnels and one could always make their way to the Front Gate for a breath of fresh air and some day or moon light, if they so choose.

If you find the runes that create one of these words and you can play the word, a 10 point bonus will be added to your score.
    Reminder
    These bonus words will be for this round only! Thanks!

IT - RUN - HE - CRY

Nice play Nienna! Bonus for you! I have adjusted your score.

HE vertically using the E in HISTED.
    HE=4x3(TL) + 1= 13 + 10 (Round Bonus) =23
    SCORE
    Nienna - 55
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 46
    Všlanna - 42

Last edited by Drifa; 15/Jan/2017 at 02:11 AM.

Gwaihir
    Lady AikŠri Salmarinian

It had been a very long time since she had done a game like this. So she sat thinking over the gameboard and formed the first word horizontal over the Armillas's M and the Jailor's E: Lumper. With her remaining letters she formed yet another word, butsShe kept her last letters for a new round, if this was all accepted. For the rest the fair elven maiden from the west waited.

LUMPER

a laborer employed to load and unload ships

Counsellor of Erebor
    I am late for the update. Here it is.

Reminder

IT - RUN - HE - CRY

Nice try AikŠri but your play was past the deadline. Your letters remain the same.

SCORE
    Nienna - 55
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 46
    Všlanna - 42

Pele you have 36 hours to make your play! Good luck!

Last edited by Drifa; 15/Jan/2017 at 02:12 AM.

Yavanna
    Bald grinned at Drifa, and then walked off to see if he could find anything more useful. The last place he had worked in was not too promising, so he decided to move elsewhere. Stopping by Nienna, he watched her work for a while and chuckled softly, noticing that she did not seem to be accustomed to this kind of work.
    "I hope your effort will pay off nicely with some shiny jewels in additions to those runes we're after," he said, hoping to encourage her, and even though he wouldn't have minded to talk some more, he did not consider it good manners to start digging write next to her, else she would think that he tried to steal her possible treasures. However, he turned to the opposite wall, inspecting it for anything useful. It seemed to him that he spotted something akin to runes behind a layer of dust, so he ran his hand over it, and then set about carefully cutting them out.

Having gathered a few runes, he made a trip back to Drifa and dropped the runes on the table somewhat carelessly. "Here, will these do?" he asked with a raised eyebrow.

FAUGH vertically, using the H of HISTED

FAUGH: 4+1+1+6(TL)+4= 16

Counsellor of Erebor
    'The Moon was like a silver slipper pouring champagne stars'Tom Waits. What a wonderful night to walk about the Mountain and see Middle-earth's heavenly lights in full display. Drifa felt a tingle from her head to her toes. This was going to be a good year, especially with all these new runes being found. A clue to something grand was sure to be found in these mysterious runes. And speaking of runes, it was time for her to get back to the tunnel and see what had been dug up.

Reminder

IT - RUN - HE - CRY

Nice play Pele! FAUGH for 16 points.
    SCORE
    Nienna - 55
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 62
    Všlanna - 42

Všlanna you have 36 hours to make your play! Good luck!
    Last edited by Drifa; 15/Jan/2017 at 02:12 AM.

Knight of the Mark
    Dorf was happy with his latest findings so he decided to take them to the table for Drifa's inspection. He was sure he got it right this time.

MEANY, vertically, using the N in JOIN.

MEANY= 3(DW)+0+1+1+4(DL)= 26

Counsellor of Erebor
    Having had her nose stuck in scrolls all day, searching for some meaning to the runes; runes she had never seen or used before; runes that they had not been able to decipher; Drifa's eyes were tired and she was in need of a bite of food and a draught of good ale. And so, she pushed the scroll away and stood up stretching her stiff body from all the sitting.
    She was about to head to the food suppliers and the keg of ale when, Dorf, looking happy, presented her with more runes. She smiled at him and ask him if he had a mind to partake in a mug of ale with her.

'Digging can be thirsty work, my good dwarf! How about a mug of ale to wash away the dust, eh?'

Nice play Všlanna !

SCORE
    Nienna - 55
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 62
    Všlanna - 68

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    No, she was no dwarf and digging was not her favourite past time. She tried a smile in Balds general direction.
    The dim light, the dust the huffing and puffing of the dwarves around her, digging to their hearts delight, didn't make it any easier for her. And she noticed that she could not count anymore. The runes began to dance before her eyes and the torches cast shadows on the tunnel walls, like jumping elves, or lurking goblins.
    What she'd found, she quickly brought to Drifa, and put it in front of her on the table.

CRAWL
    using the A of FAUGH and the L of ARMILLAS
    CRAWL = 3+1+1+4+1= 10 x 2 (DW)= 20

Counsellor of Erebor
    Before she got an aye or a nay from Dorf on the ale request, Drifa saw the tallest of the diggers approach the table and felt pity in her heart. This was really no place for one such as her although, it was a pleasure having her here. She would have to make sure that this digger got some fresh are and a lot of limb room.

'Greetings Nienna! I see you are beginning to lack air and space. Please feel free to mount the smooth new tunnel behind us to the main hall and the Front Gate. The view of Dale and beyond is quite lovely at this time of the year. Would you like some water, or have you a mind for some ale?'

Nice play N
    ienna ! 20 points for CRAWL.

SCORE
    Nienna - 75
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 62
    Všlanna - 68

Counsellor of Erebor
    SCORE
    Nienna - 75
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 62
    Všlanna - 68

Yavanna
    Bald felt that he had to stop and sharpen his pickaxe because it had become quite useless from being used so fervently, so he collected what he had found and carried it over to Drifa.

"Here," he said, depositing the runes before her. "Did I hear something about the ale?" he asked, sitting down and searching in his pack for tools to sharpen his pickaxe. "If I must take a break, I take a break with all possible benefits."

ZED horizontally, using E of MEANY

ZED = 10+0+2 = 12x2(DW) = 24

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa handed Bald a frothy mug of ale. The barrels were kept cold in a special ice house. The blocks of ice maintained the room at a perfect temperature; the ale and other perishables that were kept in the ice house, never froze.

'I hope you enjoy the ale, Bald! It looks like your pick-axe has chawed some rough rock. I personally always clean and then sharpen my tool. I sharpen the out side of the blade and then the underside. What kind of file do you use?'

Nice play Pele! ZED it is for 24 points.

SCORE
    Nienna - 75
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 86
    Všlanna - 68

Knight of the Mark
    Dorf accepted the mug of ale from Drifa and downed it one huge gulp. He let out an enormous belch that echoed far into the cavern and then smiled a toothless grin and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "Good", he said before he turned and walked back to his area of digging. Soon enough he discovered more runes and before long he was back at Drifa's table.

LATINO horizontally off the second L in ARMILLAS thus also making the word THE vertically.

LATINO = 1+1(DL)+1+1+1+1(DW)= 14
    THE = 1+4+1= 6

Total=20

- - - Updated - - -

Dorf accepted the mug of ale from Drifa and downed it one huge gulp. He let out an enormous belch that echoed far into the cavern and then smiled a toothless grin and wiped his mouth with the back of his hand. "Good", he said before he turned and walked back to his area of digging. Soon enough he discovered more runes and before long he was back at Drifa's table.

LATINO horizontally off the second L in ARMILLAS thus also making the word THE vertically.

LATINO = 1+1(DL)+1+1+1+1(DW)= 14
    THE = 1+4+1= 6

Total=20

Counsellor of Erebor
    Looking at the toothless (Dorf) dwarf's back as he headed down the tunnel and the dig, Drifa grinned. One gulp and down the ale went. Woot! That was one dwarf who knew how to drink his ale! Aye, she knew how hard digging was and understood the dwarf's thirst. She was lucky to be in charge of the tally table this dig.

She got Dorf's mug ready for when he came back...

Nice play
    Všlanna!
    SCORE
    Nienna - 75
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 86
    Všlanna - 88

Last edited by Drifa; 08/Jan/2017 at 01:53 AM.

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    Nienna, the human, surely accepted an ale. "Thank you dearly, Mistress Dwarf", she said and drank from the clay mug Drifa was offering her.
    Then she crawled back into the tunnel, dug here and there, found a rune and another one close by. Four she dug up and brought them to Drifa, and presented them to the dwarf.

BITS (vertical, top right) with the S added to the ZED, making ZEDS

BITS= 3+1+1+2(DL)= 7x3 (TW)= 21 +
    ZEDS= 10+2+2 = 14
    total 35.....I guess
    Nienna was very bad in mathematics, even more so in dark tunnels and drunk from dwarven ale.

Counsellor of Erebor
    As she took the mug from the tall human (Nienna), Drifa decided to walk to the ice house and count the ale barrels. Aye, hospitality was one thing, but when the ale started to get low, it was all for Drifa and Drifa for all, so to speak. It was no use pretending it wasn't so.

As she pulled the heavy ice house door open, she peeked in and grinned. The room was full of barrels, plus lots of food. She spied a gorgeous ham on one of the shelves and decided to bring it back and slice some for the diggers. The ale she would fetch when it was needed.

Nice TW play, Nienna! Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 110
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 86
    Všlanna - 88

AikŠri

Counsellor of Erebor
    SCORE
    Nienna - 110
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 86
    Všlanna - 88

Pele

Yavanna
    Bald enjoyed the ale Drifa provided for him, one slow sip after another. Why, this way he could both have that drink last longer, and the break away from work. Otherwise, he was unwilling to admit that his roundness must be one of the major causes he tired sooner than the other, fit, dwarves. At any rate, once finished, he bowed to express his thanks to Drifa and then set about sharpening his pickaxe. "I have a couple of different files with me, so I often try out the one I think would work best, and then another, if it doesn't work out," he said.

Soon enough - way too soon - he went back to work and tried to find some very useful runes. A few he found, but somehow he did not feel too happy about the result.

PICKED vertically, using C of CRAWL
    PICKED = 3+1+3+5+1+4 (DL) = 17

Counsellor of Erebor
    Aye, ale did put the extra pounds on a stout dwarf - no matter how slow you drank it. But one slow sip at a time was a good plan if one preferred drinking to digging. *wink*

Drifa was admiring Bald's file when suddenly the air become very humid; so humid that it wasn't long before the dwarf's (and their friends) hair and beards were clinging to them in sweaty strands. And to make matters worst, a stench began to spread through the tunnel. An odoriferous assault of; gas, skunk scent, grapefruit, garlic and rotting eggs.
    It wasn't long before a young dwarf-runner brought news that a hot spring and been discovered in the far part of the tunnel (with an abundance of sulfur, hence the smells).

Pinching her nose against the stench, Drifa looked over the runes Bald had dug up.

Nice play, Pele!

SCORE
    Nienna - 110
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 93
    Všlanna - 88

Knight of the Mark
    Dorf was digging happily and even found a few runes that looked valuable when he began sniffing the air. It was a foul smell to be sure. The kind of smell you smell when your great aunt Martha lets one loose after eating a whole pot of beans and cabbage. Or the kind of smell that lingers after YOU eat a pot of beans and cabbage and then try to pass it off as your great aunt Martha's creation. Why should she get all the credit? Anyway, it mattered little to Dorf though. He just wave his hand in the air and breathed in the odoriferous fumes as if he were smelling a rose at a tea party. 'Ahhhhh, I don't remember letting that one go so I can't take credit for it but I have me some good runes here.' he thought with a wry grin on his rugged hairy face. He took it all over to Drifa's table for inspection and while he waited he eyed the ale keg nearby.

FORD- using the D in PICKED
    FORD= 4(TW)+1+1+2= 24
    TOTAL 24

Counsellor of Erebor
    Having found a wooden clothes peg in the dwarf lady's cleaning room, Drifa had placed in gingerly on her nose with soft cloth to keep it from chaffing her skin. The smell was truly overpowering but at least she didn't smell it anymore. Now though, she could taste it, yuck!

She saw Dorf approach, sniffing the air like he owned it; also eyeing the ale . Grabbing two mugs, she filled them up. Walking over she handed one to the dwarf as he placed his runes on the table.

'Best to wash the taste of sulfur out with something good, eh?'

Reminder

COW - TRAIN - CROW - LEAF
    my better half is picking these random words with no idea what your letters are*

Nice TW play, Všlanna
    ! Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 110
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 93
    Všlanna - 112

Last edited by Drifa; 15/Jan/2017 at 02:13 AM.

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    Nienna worked hard, she dug and chiseled, moves stones away and found more runes. The dust made her cough and so she covered her mouth with a kerchief she was carrying with her in one of her numberless pockets of her leather trousers. Neither the dust, nor any smell would then reach her delicate nose, may ManwŽ be blessed for that!
    Wiping off the dirt from the runes, she found 2 very nice ones and brought them over to Drifa.
    "Here, what do you think of these. Ain't they pretty", she asked and her gaze went to the mug of ale. Could it be that she was thirsty again?

AX (vertical, upper right corner) using the B of BITS making AB
    and the I making XI.

AX= 1+8=9 x2(DW)= 18 + 3 (B)+1(I)= 22
    or something like it, Nienna thought and the ale she already drank made her giggle.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Moon curser

The wind blew
    The snow flew;
    A blustery rage.
    A ghostly light
    Lit the night
    Shadows between
    The trees; Coyotes
    Yipping, yapping
    Leaping high
    Tearing, ripping
    The fabric of
    A starless sky;
    Stalking the pale
    winter moon.

My internet connection was so bad last night, I had to write corny poetry to pass the time. Sorry for the delay.*

Reminder

my better half is picking these random words with no idea what your letters are*

Nice play using the X, Nienna
    ! Well done! Your score is:

AX=1+8=9x2(DW)=18
    AB=1+3=4
    XI=8+1=9x2(DW)=18
    Total 40

SCORE
    Nienna - 150
    AikŠri - 10
    Pele - 93
    Všlanna - 112

Last edited by Drifa; 15/Jan/2017 at 02:14 AM.

Gwaihir
    Lady AikŠri Salmarinian

It had been a very long time since she had done a game like this. So she sat thinking over the gameboard and formed the word right upon the F of Ford: Reef. She kept her last letters for a new round, if this was all accepted. For the rest the fair elven maiden from the west waited.

REEF

to reduce the area of a sail

Counsellor of Erebor
    Reminder

Yay! Nice play, AikŠri
    ! Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 150
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 93
    Všlanna - 112

Yavanna
    Bald had gotten over his momentary laziness and had been working hard again. When he had found what he thought were some pretty fine runes, he gathered them in his arms and began heading towards Drifa to show her the findings and see if they were of any value. However, sometimes the unexpected things happened... His toes caught on some rocks and stuff piled on the path by some other digger, and he went tumbling to the ground. Rather, he landed softly, his belly playing a part of a cushion, and his hands stretched out to keep the head from bumping into the ground. And as Bald did so, he dropped the runes, and by some unfortunate turn of event some of them were shattered, and some fell into the large hole leading down and down, and down.

"Noooooo!" the round dwarf let out a desperate cry, as he watched the results of his work reduced to nothing. He sat up and tried to piece together some of the broken runes, but it was difficult to figure out which pieces really fit together.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa heard an oomph and then the sound of shattering rock. She got up and was heading towards the dig when she then heard someone cry out, "Noooooo!"
    Hurring forward, she saw a dwarf lying by a large hole - it was Bald and he looked pretty disappointed. She wasn't sure if he was hurt. Reaching him she offered him a hand up and said.
    "Are you hurt, Bald? Do you need a drink of ale?"

Reminder

Nice try Pele! Better luck next time! Your letters remain the same.

SCORE
    Nienna - 150
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 93
    Všlanna - 112

Last edited by Drifa; 18/Jan/2017 at 12:49 AM.

Knight of the Mark
    Dorf didn't have much luck finding many runes in his next dig but that might have been because of the location. He looked at the one rune he did find and shrugged his massive shoulders deciding it was good enough to give to Drifa. He took the rune to her and plopped it on the table.

Adding the letter E to make the word AXED vertically and MET horizontally for a total of 17 points.

Counsellor of Erebor

As she waited for Bald to rise, she saw Dorf looking rather rejected as he threw a rune onto her table. It looked like the dig was slowing down. The runes seem to have become scarce. Drifa would have to give the diggers something to dig for so they wouldn't lose heart. Ale just didn't seem to be enough.
    Later that day, one could smell home made bread (with jam, honey and cheese), roast chicken (with smashed potatoes, carrots and sweet squash), pumpkin pie ( with raspberry tarts, strawberry's and cream and sweet treats) ;and other delicious aromas permeating through the tunnel. A buffet was set up for the diggers. Plenty for all..

If you find the runes that create a 10 point play, a 10 point bonus will be added to your score.
    Reminder
    This bonus will be for this round only! Thanks!

Nice play, Všlanna!

SCORE
    Nienna - 150
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 93
    Všlanna - 129

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    She was getting along quite well, with the digging and all. The ale did her good, too, and she now, at last, knew the best spot to dig for more runes. As she bent down to grab the shovel, she saw two grey rocks lying close to each other, barely covered with dirt. Oh, how easy that was. Runes, just lying about as if they wanted to be found.
    Nienna took them, brushed off the dirt and put them on Dirfas table...eyeing another filled mug of ale. How come she was thirsty again? Must be the dry air, and the stuff...

SO (vertical, the S added to JOIN to make JOINS and YO)
    JOINS = 8+1+1+1+3(TL)= 14, YO = 4+1= 5 = 19

Counsellor of Erebor
    Holding a chicken leg in one hand, Drifa deciphered the new runes and was quite impressed with what they stood for. She slapped Nienna on the back in a congratulatory fashion and offered her a piece of chicken.

"Would you like dark or white meat? "

If you find runes that create a 10 point play or greater, a 10 point bonus will be added to your score.
    Reminder

Awesome play, Nienna! Your play adds up to 33 points. Well done!

SO=1(TL)+1=4
    JOINS=8+1+1+1+1(TL)=14
    YO=4+1= 5
    10 Point Bonus
    Total 33

SCORE
    Nienna - 183
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 93
    Všlanna - 129

Pele

Last edited by Drifa; 20/Jan/2017 at 03:52 AM. Reason: clarifying the bonus round

Yavanna
    For a while Bald felt quite overwhelmed by the fall, loss of his runes, the embarrassment, and the yucky smell; however he soon found relief in Drifa's kind approach, and the supply of food.

"Yes, please," he mumbled, getting back to his feet. "Some ale and some of that delicious looking stuff. Though... I will bring you some runes first. Yes, I will." That said, he did keep his word and soon returned with a few runes to present to Drifa.

SOCAGE vertically using SO formed by JOINS and YO.
    SOCAGE = 1+1+3+1+6(TL)+1=13

Counsellor of Erebor
    There was a Springle-ring dance class being held in the Mountain this night, and Drifa had no time to chat with the diggers. She was off to kick up her heels.

If you find runes that create a 10 point play or greater,
    a 10 point bonus will be added to your score.
    Reminder

Awesome play, Pele! Your play, with the 10 point bonus, adds up to 23 points. Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 183
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 116
    Všlanna - 129

Knight of the Mark
    When rune picking became increasingly scarce Dorf knew that soon it would be time to move to a new location. He didn't have much to drop on Drifa's table this time but it was the best he could find. On the brighter side there was a good supply of food available to him and he was delighted to help himself to it for he had worked up quite an appetite.

VAT horizontally off the A in SOCAGE for 10 points.

Counsellor of Erebor
    The Springle-ring (a legendary Hobbit dance) was, as anyone knew, quite a vigorous dance and as such, anyone who danced it for several hours during a dancing class was bound to come away with painful feet and knees and legs (upper body too depending on how vigorous one approached the dance). And so, Drifa had her feet propped up on a low stool and was not moving around much. And when she did, she kind of hobbled.
    Dorf had dropped some runes on her table and was now enjoying the food. This was a good sign. Keeping ones energy up was good for digging purposes.

Great play, Všlanna! Your play, with the 10 point bonus, adds up to 20 points. Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 183
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 116
    Všlanna - 149

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    Nienna laughed and said: "No, thank you so much, but I do not eat the flesh of friends, for all animals are my friends. But I take another ale, if you have some left, dear Drifa!" Slapping the dwarfette back on her shoulder she turned and was about to return to her dig, when she right hand found some rocks in her deep pockets. "Oh, wait, let's try these, too!" she laughed and put another 3 runes on Drifa's table.

WIND (vertical) using the N in LATINO
    WIND= 4+1+1+2= 8 x 2 (DW)= 16

Counsellor of Erebor
    It was good to see that some of the diggers were keeping rocks in their pockets. One never knew when a rock or two could be the rune of all runes.
    Drifa looked at the buffet table and choose a flaky pastry from a plate. She offered it to Nienna.

"This was made by a baker in Lake-town. It has some kind of pseudocereal that is grounded up into flour to make the pastry. It is very high in protein, I was told. You can taste cheese and mushrooms and a hint of sweet honey. Please give it a try!"

Nice play, Nienna! Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 199
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 116
    Všlanna - 149

Yavanna
    All the digging Bald did produced nothing but a single rune, and grumbling unhappily about the misfortunes that seemed to plague him lately, the dwarf made his way to Drifa's table. "I'm afraid we might run out of runes soon," he complained, as he set the only one he had on the table. "Or perhaps I'm not lucky in the places I choose to put my pickaxe to."

XI horizontally, by using I of WIND, as well as vertically, by using I of LATINO:
    XI = 10+1=11
    XI = 10+1=11
    Total = 22 (correct me, if I'm wrong, Drifa, but this looks rather weird to my eyes. :D)

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa looked at the rune.

Yes it is a little weird. You see, the X has already been used. Did you get mixed up with the letters?

Yavanna
    Q it was, and not an X, and would make QI.

Perhaps it was time for some rest, and Bald had apparently lost too much of his strength, and the dust had piled up in his lashes, making it difficult to see. He rubbed at his face with the sleeve, got himself a mug of ale and a mighty piece of meat, and sat down to rest a bit. Big dwarves could not exactly display great endurance.

Counsellor of Erebor
    Now that the runes had been deciphered properly and the dust washed from some of the diggers faces, the dig could continue. It was coming to the end of these particular dig. Dwarves and their friends could only work so long underground before they started getting , tunnel fever - a condition that produces restlessness and irritability and the screaming out of names of dwarves that no one knew - caused from being in a confined space.

Nice
    play, Pele! Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 199
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 138
    Všlanna - 149

Knight of the Mark
    It was all Dorf could do to not bash his head in against the nearest rock after trying to decipher the best runes in his hands. He had three options but could only give Drifa one of them so he had to make a decision and quick. After some time of mumbling to himself and chugging plenty of beer he decided to take two of his runes to the table.

ROLE horizontally using the R in ARMILLA and the L in JAILER. Also, making the word NO vertically off the N in VANITY and the word TE vertically using the T in VANITY.
    ROLE= 1+1(DL)+1+1=5
    NO= 1+1(DL)=3
    TE= 1+1=2

Total 10

Counsellor of Erebor
    "Ha ha ha.." Drifa laughed as she watched Dorf down a few mugs of ale. He was doing a good job of digging and finding runes and deserved to enjoy his refreshments.

Nice play, Všlanna! Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 199
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 138
    Všlanna - 159

Niennayou have 36 hours to make your play! Good luck!

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    With a broad smile and a thank-you Nienna accepted the pastry, tried it and, to her utter surprise and joy, it tasted heavenly.
    Refreshed and in good spirits she returned to her digging spot, used hammer and chisel here and there, got hit by a falling rock on her right foot, bit down the pain and was rewarded with a handful of useful runes.

TUNGS (vertical)
    using the E of SOCAGE to make ET

ET= 1+1=2
    TUNGS = 1+2(DL)+1+2+1= 7x3(TW)=21
    total 23

Counsellor of Erebor
    Runes and pastry were disappearing and appearing as the game moved on. Drifa was so surprised by Nienna's quick work that she deciphered the runes quickly and got more pastries.
    Reminder
    All the letters have been drawn. The game ends when all letters have been drawn and one player uses his or her last letter; or when all possible plays have been made.
    Good luck!

Great play using the TW,
    Nienna! Well done!

SCORE
    Nienna - 222
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 138
    Všlanna - 159

Pele

Yavanna
    Not wanting to be less industrious than other diggers, Bald kept on working away and trying to get some more runes. At least refreshments made it possible to get more strength, and so he managed to find a few more. These he carried over to Drifa and laid them out neatly on the table.

PEEP horizontally, using P of PICKED.
    PEEP: 3+3 (TL)+1+3 = 10

Counsellor of Erebor
    The mid-Winter Create A Toy convention had literally taken up all of Drifa's time these last few days (her magical dwarf-father clock being a great hit with its singing dwarves popping out on the hour to chant the time). The runes were piled up on her table. Bowing low she apologies for her lateness and carefully went through the runes.

Nice play Pele! Well done!
    Reminder
    All the letters have been drawn. The game ends when all letters have been drawn and one player uses his or her last letter; or when all possible plays have been made.
    Good luck!

SCORE
    Nienna - 222
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 148
    Všlanna - 159

Knight of the Mark
    Dorf had only to use the best runes that he had left. It didn't seem too difficult so he chose a couple that he thought were worthy of showing Drifa so he set them down on the table.

BAP (type of bun) Vertically using the P in PEEP
    BAP= 3(TW)+1+3=21

Total 21

Counsellor of Erebor
    Drifa lifted her beard and peered at the little roll of fat that was starting to travel over her belt. Aye, she had been to one dance class but that was not enough. This sitting at the rune table was not an active enough task for a dwarf who liked her ale and food. The runes were still coming in, which was good, however, her shift at this dig would soon be over and that would be good for her; for it would be time for some serious long distant walking. Maybe to Dale and back each day? She wished!

Nice play Všlanna! Well done!
    Reminder
    Good luck!

SCORE
    Nienna - 222
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 148
    Všlanna - 180

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    There was a strange and unusual haste in her, a thrilling tingle on the back of her neck. This was good, wasn't it?
    She felt, that, if she found the right runes now, she was able leave the dark tunnels to return home, to her beloved forest, to be among her trees, in her small hut, with the garden so full of flowers, edible goods and many treasures.
    She returned to her dig, shovelled, chiseled and finally, dug up some more runes. Moving them around in the dirt in front of her, she suddenly laughed, took them and brought them to Drifa. "There,....can I go home now?" she asked with a broad smile.

ROLE (vertical) using the B (of BAP) to add the E to

ROLE= 1x3 (TL)= 3+1+1+0=5 (E is blank)
    BE= 3+0=3
    Total 8
    and done, ready to go home

Counsellor of Erebor
    A whistle blew loudly in the tunnel just as Nienna was bringing her last runes out. The whistle was the sound one heard when a shift was over. Diggers would soon be replaced with other diggers. This way no dwarf was underground too long and hopefully never got a bad case of tunnel fever.

Drifa
    stood up and stretched. She would be going to replace a dwarf at the Front Gate. She looked forward to her shift - days of fresh air and nights filled with brilliant stars.

Nice play Nienna! Well done! Congratulations on finding such a hoard of runes. Your runes, and all the runes that were found thus far, will be placed in a special room for all the Kingdom to see.

And thanks to Dorf and Bald and all the other miners who helped make this excavation a success. Well done!!

Maybe we will see each other again at some later time and delve together once more. Farewell!

SCORE

Nienna - 230 - Best Runer Breaker TA 3014
    AikŠri - 18
    Pele - 148 - N E E I = 144
    Všlanna - 180 - U N O O U = 175

Yavanna
    Thank you for the game, Drifa, and the other players too. It was fun!

Weathered Ent of Fangorn
    Nienna bows. "Thank you, Drifa, for inviting me into the tunnels of Lonely Mountain and for making me dig and chisel to my hearts content. I enjoyed it very much. And a thank you and lelya mŠravŽ meet to all, who roamed the tunnels with me in search of the winning runes. Indeed it was great fun!"

Knight of the Mark
    thank you Drifa for hosting the game I always enjoy a good game of scrabble! And good word plays Pele and Nienna

Counsellor of Elrond
    Say, can I get in on the next match? I enjoyed playing WS way back in the past (or forward into the future in the Fourth Age, depending on how you look at it).

asŽa aranion / kingsfoil / athelas
    Come athelas! Come athelas! Life to the dying, in the king's hand lying!