Elder of Imladris

Tolkien Estate and Warner Bros. Have Settled their $80 Million Dollar Lawsuit

Source: LINK
    Apparently they settled it 'amicably'.

What does this mean for potential future adaptations of Tolkien's Legendarium? For example, does it mean that Children of Hurin has a higher likelihood of being adapted into opera, or TV?

Chieftain of the Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvy Elf View Post
    What does this mean for potential future adaptations of Tolkien's Legendarium?
    Probably nothing. This litigation didn't prevent The Hobbit movies or Shadow of Mordor from being released.

For example, does it mean that Children of Hurin has a higher likelihood of being adapted into opera, or TV?
    I don't see anything to suggest that the Estate is reconsidering its stance on the hypothetical sale of film rights to Tolkien's posthumously published works.
    Last edited by Eldorion; 04/Jul/2017 at 05:12 AM.

Elder of Imladris
    How about adaptations for events in the appendices of LOTR, like the Gondorian Kin-Strife?

Chieftain of the Mark
    The film rights to The Hobbit and The Lord of the Rings, including the Appendices, are owned by the Saul Zaentz Company d/b/a Middle-earth Enterprises, so the Estate wouldn't have anything to do with such a project anyway.

Elder of Imladris
    Thanks Eldorion!

Scavenger of Mordor
    Hopefully we might adapt more material in some future Middle-Earth games, or even a comic book series that takes place during the appendacies.

Sam
    Quote Originally Posted by Troigan View Post
    Hopefully we might adapt more material in... a comic book series that takes place during the appendacies.
    I apologize, but I'm afraid I see no reason whatsoever to hope for a comic book about the appendices. A thing like that seems, to me at least, like it would completely ruin Tolkien's beautiful writing. As if the movies didn't destroy the original beauty of Tolkien's writing enough. Personally I'm hoping they would just leave everything as it is at the moment, and maybe somehow delete every trace of The Hobbit films.
    Elmehtar, Sperewigend

"I should like to save the Shire, if I could... I feel that as long as the Shire lies behind, safe and comfortable, I shall find wandering more bearable: I shall know that somewhere there is a firm foothold, even if my feet cannot stand there again."

Frodo, FotR

Scavenger of Mordor
    Well, Tolkien was more of a world builder than an actual writer anyway, so I wouldn't say building up on the mythos would be ruining it on it's own so long as it's still good, I mean heck people have been building on the Cthulhu mythos after HP Lovecraft's passing and they're still building on it, so why not with Middle-Earth? Then again it doesn't even have to be canon anyway if people can see a tie-in as it's own thing.

Elder of Imladris
    The thing with lovecraft was he literally encouraged people to write stuff that came from his work. With Tolkien it was almost the opposite, given how he was averse and critical to adaptations in his lifetime.

Scavenger of Mordor
    Fair point there.

Elder of Imladris
    I would like to see a few operas that would highlight a few of the more not-well known stories of Tolkien. An opera of Amroth and Nimrodel for instance could have great potential, in the right librettists and composer's hands of course.
    Last edited by Rivvy Elf; 18/Jul/2017 at 02:28 AM.