Elder of Imladris

Do animals die a natural death in the Undying Lands?

I have a question about animals in the Undying Lands. For animals like Huan, I know they are immortal, perhaps even having sort of a spirit similar to a maiar. But for 'normal' animals living in the Undying Lands? Can they die a natural death due to old age for instance?

I'm asking this for RP related reasons, since I have a few RP characters who lived in valinor.

Gwaihir
    Rivvy: Most likely yes. Immortality was natural given to the elves, not the other animals. Huan is a special case, but the wolfshound was a companion to Oromë first. Hence he could have altered the life expectancies of the wolfhound, so he didn't have to say goodbye and have hundred companions he had to train across the ages. Oromë had more wolfhounds, they would have shared the same alterations as Huan.

Animals and plants might in Valinor have lived longer, because not destructive influences of Morgoth. But all would die and renew again. I can't see it another way, because immortal life was never given to the plans and animals naturally in Middle Earth and Valinor.

New Soul
    In Morgoth's Ring there's a text titled Aman, which, as I read things, basically explains that animals in Aman live as long as their counterparts in Middle-earth would naturally live, but according to Valian Years...

... so in real time they would live much longer in Aman. For example, if a given beast in Middle-earth normally lives 20 years, its Amanish counterpart lives 20 Valian Years, meaning whatever 20 X 144 is.

Math of this magnitude is best left to others, if it can be known at all

And I post this avoiding questions of "canonicity" and any arguable issues with Tolkien altering the Valian Year to equal 144 Sun Years (from the much lower number in other texts). Basically, in this text at least, the Valian Year equals the Elvish Long Year as described in the Appendices, but in my opinion that alone need not mean Tolkien had to equate the two, if he, let's say, had himself published a Tale of Years of the First age, for example...

... or something!

Elder of Imladris
    Thanks Aiks and Galin! Hmm, so either way they die. Follow up question to that would be, where do their spirits end up? Are they bound to Arda, or do their spirits move on?

This all just makes Orlando Bloom's reasoning for Legolas being confused as to what 'death' is all the more facepalm-inducing.